Reserve completion bonus scrapped

Offwidth

Swinger
Hello,

I have my phase 1 mod 3 (bravo in old money) coming up very soon. When I joined the reserves at the start of the year, there was a £300 bonus for attesting, £1000 on completion of Phase 1 and £1000 on completion of phase 2.

Word on the street is that this has been scrapped. Obviously nobody joins the reserves for the money, but having quit my civvie job to study for a number of months, I had made the critical error of factoring in the first £1000 - so it does feel like a bit of a kick in the teeth, especially as this was something advertised when I signed up.

I assume there is little to no negotiation on this - but is somebody able to confirm if this is correct?

Thanks
O

I heard it had been scrapped but not seen anything official, shame really if it has as it was a nice little bonus. That said I've seen a lot of people go through training, get the money then never bother coming in again. Not saying they did it for that as there's easier ways to make £1300 than putting yourself through alpha & bravo or whatever it's called now, but still.

Same in my unit. After they’ve banked the bonus, they usually turn up for one or two Drill nights, realize that it is being run by tired old never served TA legacies, who are determined to return the AR to the bad old days of mates promoting mates, drunkenness and bullying, that they think “fxck this, I didn’t join just to get drunk all weekend “ and never come back

Same in my unit. After they’ve banked the bonus, they usually turn up for one or two Drill nights, realize that it is being run by tired old never served TA legacies, who are determined to return the AR to the bad old days of mates promoting mates, drunkenness and bullying, that they think “fxck this, I didn’t join just to get drunk all weekend “ and never come back

A surprising (to me) number of people have always handed their kit back after completing training - the old adage that initial training is completely unlike life in a battalion cuts both ways. I don't think bonuses affect that either way. I actually thought these bonuses had been scrapped a couple of years ago, I remember some recruits being told that if they didn't load on to phase 1 by X date they would miss out (not that any recruit has any say in how long their application takes to process). Of course the person who told them that could equally well have been wrong!

A surprising (to me) number of people have always handed their kit back after completing training - the old adage that initial training is completely unlike life in a battalion cuts both ways. I don't think bonuses affect that either way. I actually thought these bonuses had been scrapped a couple of years ago, I remember some recruits being told that if they didn't load on to phase 1 by X date they would miss out (not that any recruit has any say in how long their application takes to process). Of course the person who told them that could equally well have been wrong!

We had one on my intake six years ago who was joining my unit as a medic, went through basic training together and it was all smiles and happiness at passing out just before the Christmas. He then came on one exercise in January where it was admittedly pretty bogging, then just stopped turning in. I heard about a year later that he'd dropped his kit in after a phone call about being a long term non attender.
Then we had another who had joined a few months before me, he turned up for remembrance day two years on the bounce without attending at any time in between, and went on a courses camp to try and get his car licence for free, and again that was the last we saw of him, but then he'd dropped out of basic training with the regs before coming to us as well. There's been plenty of other similar tales too.
The longer I've been in the more I can see it's a common reserve issue.

The longer I've been in the more I can see it's a common reserve issue.

Some people are just doing it for the challenge, to prove something to themselves, and never really intended to stay.

Some people realise early on that it's not for them but they grit their teeth and finish training rather than quit. I can respect this in a way.

Some people thrive in the constant new experiences of training, the psychological safety net of just doing what they're told, and get bored quickly or feel like a fish out of water in a working unit. I think this is the most common reason.

But the mentality of just doing it to collect a bonus would surely transform into the mentality of doing it to pick up the bounty, for which you do need to be a regular attendee, so I don't think those are the people most likely to quit.

Some people are just doing it for the challenge, to prove something to themselves, and never really intended to stay.

Some people realise early on that it's not for them but they grit their teeth and finish training rather than quit. I can respect this in a way.

Some people thrive in the constant new experiences of training, the psychological safety net of just doing what they're told, and get bored quickly or feel like a fish out of water in a working unit. I think this is the most common reason.

But the mentality of just doing it to collect a bonus would surely transform into the mentality of doing it to pick up the bounty, for which you do need to be a regular attendee, so I don't think those are the people most likely to quit.

Agreed on all points really. I can understand them cutting the joining bonus if it's costing a lot of money and they're haemorrhaging bods who don't stay at least a year or two after joining.
I don't know how long I'll stay in the reserves, I'm 40 next year but still very fit and capable so probably a while yet, till I decide I want all of my free time back for other things or injury/age biffs me out anyway.

FML! Where are these dinosaur establishments?

I'm probably a 'tired old never served TA legacy' myself, but that description couldn't be further from what we have (at Squadron level at least). I appreciate that experiences may vary, but I thought all of the old farts who thought they could continue to relive their drunken STAB past ad infinitum had seen sense and retired (or been made to) by now.

Well, personally, I can't say that I joined the TA to get drunk every weekend. However, I did find the experience of getting drunk every weekend most enjoyable.

I then joined up regular and got drunk most nights. Then got posted to Germany and got absolutely blitzed every night without fail.

Absolutely marvelous :D

FML! Where are these dinosaur establishments?

I'm probably a 'tired old never served TA legacy' myself, but that description couldn't be further from what we have (at Squadron level at least). I appreciate that experiences may vary, but I thought all of the old farts who thought they could continue to relive their drunken STAB past ad infinitum had seen sense and retired (or been made to) by now.
Unfortunately in my units case, the old legacy are now WOs and certainly the OCs. Three of the Coys are now commanded by OCs that were ex JNCOs in the Regs twenty five years ago, and now promoting their drinking buddies. Absolute disgrace

Unfortunately in my units case, the old legacy are now WOs and certainly the OCs. Three of the Coys are now commanded by OCs that were ex JNCOs in the Regs twenty five years ago, and now promoting their drinking buddies. Absolute disgrace
How does that work given the huge amount of MS reporting and career management that should be going on?

How does that work given the huge amount of MS reporting and career management that should be going on?
The MS reporting and career management is absolutely fair and above board, in line with the Regulars.
It’s the job board which isn’t. e.g. Five are eligible for promotion having been successful on the promotion board. One, Two, Three, Four and Five in that order off the promotion board.
Because of job vacancies (reboarded every 2 years so others can have a go, as per the Regulars), two jobs are available.
One, Two and Five apply for the two posts. Three and Four aren’t interested and are happy to stay as they are.
Job board sits, OC picks Two and Five, One doesn’t get selected despite promotion position.

Latest Threads