Reserve commitment

Discussion in 'Jobs (Discussion)' started by fingers_1661, Apr 9, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi Guys; What is the reserve commitment for a former career soldier (ie 22 year bloke). I seem to recall it was 15 years (ie 40 to 55) but I can't find anything to back this up.

Cheers:)

2. As far as I am aware you have a zero commitment liability - the liability comes to those who do not complete the 22 years - i.e. if you complete 12 years, you have a reserve liability of 12 years. Happy to be told I'm wrong - but believe this is the case.

3. I left 24 years ago after 22 and then it depended on the trade you were in ,so be prepared for a long one. We also we expected to keep a certain amount of kit , I remember sending a letter to MOD saying I would keep it if they paid me for the storage , strange I didn't get a reply to that so binned the lot

4. They say you're supposed to keep a certain amount of reserve kit but, if in actual fact they do mobilise you they will issue you everything you need.

Lost everything from my original 1157 after a spot of bother years ago, when I was mobilised for a Telic no-one even asked to see the old reserve kit I was apparently supposed to keep.

5. Well according to this: RESERVE LIABILITY it's TBC for the Army !!!!! Anything from 6 years to 15 for RN and RAF so expect something similar in these days of jointery under the Reserve Forces Act 1996 (or 1980 depending when you joined up).

Other questions on similar topics may be answered here Service Leavers Pack Online Not all the docs state : Army TBC :wink:

6. I am under the 1980 RF act. And got a nice letter the month after leaving. Until this time I thought I had no requirement but,

"you have a reserve liability to be recalled to the colours in a national emergency up till the age of 60. However, except in certain deficiency employments this is unlikely to be invoked after the age of 55."

I am infantry.

The only kit I kept was my cap badge mit cap and boots for gardening. The sole of the boots came off when paint balling with my son (20) and the hat is a bit big now I have no hair. :D They sent me another set of tags, I now have 3 or 4.

It appears HM can invite me to go on holiday to sunny places but Mrs Smith can only invite me to guard next door and they must give me 3 days notice. I also get £10 from the post office (to be paid back) and a one way ticket (so don’t expect to return home).

7. When you de-kit after your 22 it's a 100% hand-in (as I have just done). You could infer from that you have no more commitment. I am just about to take up an FTRS post and have received a letter from APC with an 'invitation to join Section D of the Regular Reserve' which is a requirement to take up FTRS.

8. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I kind of lost my kit when I left, flogged it around the block. I did get a complete re issue on joining the TA and they didnt get all of it back when they asked me to leave!
    Having been medically downgraded since leaving I have been removed from the lists and even at my age there is not a lot of use for a fat 43 year old ex grunt unless you want showing how to wrap puttees!

9. I was liable for recall? Shit...

10. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

RFA 80 for me if I wasnt rated as a raspberry!

11. I left in 97, PVR'd after 6 of 9 years. I still have a sausage bag in the loft with some (by now) very crumpled green kit in it. I've not heard from anyone at records for years, am I still a "reservist"?

12. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Oh yes mucker unless you slip below the radar!

13. According to the letter I received from APC you can get £20 a year (tax deducatble) if you report by post, as a reporting grant. This is meant to be directed by the MoD.

14. I left after 14 years adult service, plus 2 as an apprentice. According to my docs, I am on the long term reserve until I am 60, but I'd only be called up in the event of national crisis etc. Regular reserve is/was if you left before what would have been your 12 year point, and if you leave after you've completed 12 years, then you're a long term reservist - at least that's how it is for me - the rules may have changed since.

Never got any dosh for my annual reporting though - and come to think of it, I never got my letter last year either (hope no-one from MCM or whatever Glasgow is called nowadays is reading this - d'oh :p :? :p )

15. Haven't had any contact from Glasgow after i 'forgot' to tell them i moved 3 years ago.

The only kit I have left (demobed in '92) is a sausage bag & 2 pairs of high leg combats ( 1 unused!).

Find me if you can Glasgow!!!!