Researching on behalf of father

Hi All,
A quick intro before I start bombarding you with questions.:D

Life long civvie here (haven't even worn a uniform since I left comprehensive school!). However, after spending a weekend with my parents, me and my father, who is 86, were having a good old chat about his days in the RA. He's had some health issues recently and has been a bit down so I thought it might lift his spirits if I could find out something about his old regiment.

Soooooo.......this is where you fine people come in!

All I have is what he's scribbled down for me: 84 BTRY, 52 Locating Regt R.A, Flash Spotting Regt

I've googled this but not much comes back. Would anyone on here have any info on this or, at least, be able to point me in the right driection. Oh, he served from about 1951.

Many thanks in advance,

Chalk.

Hi Chalkhills,

Good luck with this. I have nothing to offer myself but if it goes the way of some vintage ARRSE investigations it will be very interesting.
Hi Cut,

Thanks for the welcome.

I'm actually getting quite excited about finding something out and, if possible, seeing if there's any of his old buddies out there. Watch this space!

Chalk

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
Contact the RA museum in Larkhill.

Hi Chalkhills,

Good luck with this. I have nothing to offer myself but if it goes the way of some vintage ARRSE investigations it will be very interesting.
Brings back happy memories of when the site had a lot to offer on that fromt.

I second the recommendation of the RA Museum.

Hi All,

Life long civvie here (haven't even worn a uniform since I left comprehensive school!). However, after spending a weekend with my parents, me and my father, who is 86, were having a good old chat about his days in the RA. He's had some health issues recently and has been a bit down so I thought it might lift his spirits if I could find out something about his old regiment.

All I have is what he's scribbled down for me: 84 BTRY, 52 Locating Regt R.A, Flash Spotting Regt

I've googled this but not much comes back. Would anyone on here have any info on this or, at least, be able to point me in the right driection. Oh, he served from about 1951.

Many thanks in advance,

Chalk.

All I could find at the moment....

British Army units from 1945 on - 52nd Regiment RA

Hi All,

Many thanks in advance,

Chalk.
What dates did he serve? Someone will be along soon to help you

So we are looking at early 1950s and an Arty mob whose job was observing/finding (locating) enemy artillery, apparently by flash spotting, radar and/or microphones. No other details such as a town or camp. And after a quick search it's hard to find his unit other than 84 Comp Obs Bty ex Coast Arty School. But as far as I can tell, after Egypt: 52nd Locating Regt were at Roberts Bks Larkhill in the early 1950s.

@slick said it, and see more here:
https://www.arrse.co.uk/wiki/Family_Research#Service_Records_and_Personal_Data_Held_by_the_Ministry_of_Defence

Sorry I haven't replied earlier but I seem to be on a timer with regards to posting on this thread.

Wow, you guys don't hang around colour me impressed!

So, a bit more info: He joined 1951 and was first at Owestry and then later at Rhyl for some more training. I know he also spent some time out in Gib as I've seen the pics of him out there.

Many thanks for the links and advice so far, there's more than enough to keep me busy for the moment.

Fantastic start, more than I hoped for!

Cheers,

Chalk

How do you use search on that page? 84 is mentioned 4 times on the linked page but there is no return from the search function.
That search function is next to useless.
I'm sure there is a site out there that does a history of every Bty that ever existed.

I just can't find it.

So, a bit more info: He joined 1951 and was first at Owestry and then later at Rhyl for some more training. I know he also spent some time out in Gib as I've seen the pics of him out there.
Chalk
Sounds like training at a Trg Regt RA, (67 Trg Regt maybe) Oswestry where surveyors were trained for Locating Batteries. There was also Park Hall Lines at GR SJ 3046 3108; SY11 4AB. The RA were there for three decades.
Flash Spotting Battery (fighting)
Location of hostile guns by means of observing muzzle flashes and with less degree of accuracy smoke and reflections. Two troops, A and B, each with HQ and observer pairs for setting up and manning two observer posts. Locations fixed by cross angles. Other activities along the front also to be fixed and reported. Flash spotting can also be used to range own guns onto target. As Flash Spotting depends on sight, distance is a limiting factor.
BBC - WW2 People's War - The Survey Course - Larkhill - Army School of Survey

British Army units from 1945 on - 60th to 67th Regiments RA

Rhyl was probably Kinmel Park Camp, 31st Trg Regt RA. That's at Kinmel Hall/Clarendon Girls' School near Abergele, LL22 9DA.

Hi Jack,

That's some great stuff. I'm sure my father said the camp in Rhyl was Kinmel but I couldn't remember earlier. All this great info is going to keep me busy.

Cheers.

THE HISTORY OF KINMEL PARK CAMP
--
For a bit of light relief: Urbex types can see the sorry state of Kimnel Hall, Conwy, in pictures. The now disused Kinmel Hall is the largest surviving country house in Wales, with 52 bedrooms plus accommodation for 60 servants.

Kinmel Hall, Conwy, Wales

Latest Threads