researching officer history

hi - I am trying to research the history of an officer. From the Army Lists at the National Archives I can trace his regiments but not which battalion he was a member of. In the case of this officer h´both battalions were on active service at the same time but in different theatres. Does anyone have any tips on how I might trace which battalion he was assigned to? The Army Lists seem to just list officers in the Regiment but no information as to which battalion.
cheers
steve

oldnotbold

War Hero
hi - I am trying to research the history of an officer. From the Army Lists at the National Archives I can trace his regiments but not which battalion he was a member of. In the case of this officer h´both battalions were on active service at the same time but in different theatres. Does anyone have any tips on how I might trace which battalion he was assigned to? The Army Lists seem to just list officers in the Regiment but no information as to which battalion.
cheers
steve
I'd start with the regimental museum. They will have official histories, nominal rolls, group photos, regimental journals etc

cheers
steve

What era are you looking at?

Put his name up here and I'll see if I can help.

Hi, it would be a John Dillon who was a lieutenant in the 59th Regiment of Foot in 1813. Just trying to track down if he was commissioned the the 1st or 2nd battalion. Have sent a query to the regimental museum.
/Steve

Hmm - a difficult one: the only mention of a 'John Dillon' for that period is an Ensign John Dillon in the Edinburgh Gazette of 1813, though it's not with the 59th.

And I can find no trace of an Ensign or Lieutenant John Dillon in the Medal Rolls for the Napoleonic period.

Don't suppose you have a date of birth/death?

Hi... Thanks for looking. No idea about birth dates but according to the army lists he was commissioned as an Ensign in the 32 in 1805 before moving to the 30th and then the 59th as lieutenant in 1808. There were two battalions of the the 59th from around 1806. It's not that important but just interested to know where he was during the Napoleonic Wars.

Latest Threads