Researching Middlesex and Suffolk regiments, Great war.

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by theoriginalphantom, Nov 26, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm helping a mate of mine research his family Great War history, Google has been our friend, but any pointers and suggestions that any arrsers can give would be gratefully received.

What has spurred this on is some local historians are going to be doing a presentation, which is going to coincide with a rededication of the local war memorial in Old Newton, Suffolk. Any information we can give them on specific casualties (all four died between 1915 and 1918) gives us a better chance of having 'our' lads included in detail in the final presentation.

We have managed to get some information from the War Graves commission, and have some details of the four soldiers (at a price of course)

The individuals were in the 1st Battalion Suffolk Regiment, 2nd Battalion Suffolk regiment and the 4th Battalion Middlesex Regiment.

We don't know of any regimental museum, or who may have inherited he regimental history. Any and all help gratefully received.
  2. You can search for and download their records from for free this month.

Unfortunately they've only uploaded service records for surnames up to 'N' so far though.

Or try asking on the Great War Forum, someone may already have done the research for you.

Best of luck
  3. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

I have ancestry annual membership. PM me their details if you want me to have a look for them.
    Great War Forum are a fountain of knowledge
  4. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

Have you tried The Suffolk Regt archive in BSE?
  5. For the Middlesex Regiment try the Princess of Wales's Royal Regiment & Queen's Regiment RHQ in Dover Castle. Haringay Council forced the Middlesex Regimental Musuem to close. The PWRR have helped me with information about the Middlesex Regiment in the past.

Princess of Wales's Royal Regiment & Queen's Museum
    Dover Castle
    CT16 1HU

Contact details
    General information (Tel) : 01304 240 121
    General information (Fax) : 01304 240121
    E-mail :
    Research Email :
  6. Again , thank you for your assistance folks. I'll be passing all this on and we'll be following it all up.
  7. Go to "The Long Trail", into Infantry Regiments, both the Middlesex and Suffolks are there, although not in strict alphabetical order, with outline service info on all the battalions concerned.
  8. Send a PM with their details and we will see what we can find out from our Legion sources. CGWC link will do.

We do this all the time for Pilgrims and Battlefield Tours.