Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Researching history of FV101 Scorpion 04FD03

Tiffy_Massive

Old-Salt
2 ADS is 2 Armoured Delivery Sqn. I seem to remember that they were in MG and then moved to Sennelager in the late 80's early 90's. Their task was to hold and store Armd vehicles for BAOR/BFG based units as they came into Germany from the UK or overseas and also to act as a back loading unit collecting Armd Vehs to be sent to base Wksp for major repair. I think they sent a det to Kuwait during the Gulf war to hold and deliver vehicles that would be needed to replace battledamaged ones.

Peeler

Clanker
Thank you Tiffy !
Strangely enough I just picked up an article from Col SHRH Monro in the BAR No.102 Dec. 1992 regarding this:

"Since 1945 there has been an Armoured Delivery Regiment (ADR) that has largely been a shadow organisation comprising an RHQ, a Corps holding squadron, an HQ squadron with a training wing and one Armoured Delivery Squadron (ADS) per armoured division. The ADR’s mission has been:
To train and resupply battle-ready crewed MBTs as formed squadrons, MBT derivatives, tracked GW vehicles, light gunned infantry AFVs and CVRs, armoured recovery vehicles and heavy tracked engineer vehicles as individual vehicles, and RAC battle casualty replacements (BCRs), to formations in 1 BR Corps.
Based on the RAC Training Regiment at Catterick the ADR’s prime sources of manpower in war were 2 ADS Hamm, RAC Gunnery Wing Hohne, RAC Centre and RE Training Wing Bovington, Armoured Infantry Training Advisory Team (AITAT) Sennelager and 31 District Workshops REME."

02FD11

Old-Salt
Thank you Tiffy !
Strangely enough I just picked up an article from Col SHRH Monro in the BAR No.102 Dec. 1992 regarding this:

"Since 1945 there has been an Armoured Delivery Regiment (ADR) that has largely been a shadow organisation comprising an RHQ, a Corps holding squadron, an HQ squadron with a training wing and one Armoured Delivery Squadron (ADS) per armoured division. The ADR’s mission has been:
To train and resupply battle-ready crewed MBTs as formed squadrons, MBT derivatives, tracked GW vehicles, light gunned infantry AFVs and CVRs, armoured recovery vehicles and heavy tracked engineer vehicles as individual vehicles, and RAC battle casualty replacements (BCRs), to formations in 1 BR Corps.
Based on the RAC Training Regiment at Catterick the ADR’s prime sources of manpower in war were 2 ADS Hamm, RAC Gunnery Wing Hohne, RAC Centre and RE Training Wing Bovington, Armoured Infantry Training Advisory Team (AITAT) Sennelager and 31 District Workshops REME."

Wow you learn something new every day - I did two tours with RAC GW as a staffy and a WO in the '90s and this was never mentioned!

I think they sent a det to Kuwait during the Gulf war to hold and deliver vehicles that would be needed to replace battledamaged ones.

I was at a Brigade study day where the Bde Comd got his big brother to come and talk to us; this brother had commanded the ADR on GRANBY, and mentioned that given the number of vehicles he commanded, he was in effect the theatre reserve battle group for 1(UK) Div.

I nearly made a bad start to the day, though. Having made a fast break out of the little-known back route from the theatre to be the clear winner in the race to the NAAFI tea urn, perhaps I shouldn't have assumed that the runner-up (a grey-haired bloke with what at a distance appeared to be three subdued things in a column on their rank slide) was one of the Captains from the RLC mob following my lead. At 5m and second glance, it resolved into a Brigadier's slide, and I only just managed to save myself from addressing said big brother (then DInf) as "mate" and suggesting he get stuck into the chocolate digestives before the gannets arrived...

B

bokkatankie

GW1 had at least one Sqn., of LG with CR1 as BCR, not sure about ADR, but my chum commanded the LG Sqn. Once we had used those up, never tested, but if we had what would have been next?

Not quite as off thread as young Gravelbelly - but does anyone have any idea what happened to the Fox hulls AFTER they stripped the turrets ? I've asked about and no-one seems to know.

B

bokkatankie

Not quite as off thread as young Gravelbelly - but does anyone have any idea what happened to the Fox hulls AFTER they stripped the turrets ? I've asked about and no-one seems to know.

No idea, but without a turret they would have been very fast and lots of fun, ever driven a Scorp or a Scim without a turret; greased weasel shit!

HE117

LE
Fox was always a PITA for spares. The initial buy was never large (we never bought that many anyway..) and after a decade and a half of the Yeomanry tearing the arrses out of them the engines, transmissions, and partiularly the brakes and wheel stations were pretty well fukd as I recall..

I think they just ditched the hulls after removing the turrets..

Thanks HE. Just a forlorn hope that in a shed somewhere..... I mind when one of ours broke outside Glasgow en-route to Garelochhead it was recovered to ABRO in Stirling. Excuse after excuse as to why it wasn't fixed, months rolled by. The PSI eventually got sent up there to brace them, face to face. Found the poor thing lying on its side cannibalised to fix "local" wagons :-(

2 ADS

Crow
Not sure if this is the best place to post, but here goes...

I have recently got hold of a Scorpion tank and I'd like to know a bit more about it's history.

I have the following from Bovington:

It started life at Lugershall in 1973
3/1/74 14/20 Hussars
28/4/76 1st Royal Tank Regiment
30/7/77 Queens Dragoon Guards
17/6/80 9/12 Lancers

17/11/81 Conversion from 0860.7400 to 0860.7450

5/3/82 ODA (special forces detachment alpha)
2/11/82 2 ADS (???)
2/10/82 16/5 Lancers

9/11/82 conversion from 0860.7450 to 0860.8450

21/11/86 13/18 Hussars

10/2/93 returns to Luggershall

Curious to know if anyone here served with this vehicle and has any photos etc?

I think it ended up as a gate gardian somwhere up until 2009 when it got auctioned off.

Cheers.

Hey RichardINDorset,
2 ADS was located in Cromwell Barracks in Hamm/Westfalen, i have been working there as a civil worker fromm 1980-1984. Our CO was Major Scragg. I think we have seen us many times in german kanteen.
Kindest regards send to you from
Michael

recceRH

Crow
Nice to see someone keeping a Scorpion from the scrapheap. The closest I got to the 04Fd series was one in Fallingbostel 85/88 and Belize 89/90. I served on the vehicle for 7+ years from 85 - 92 in the recce troop of an armoured regiment. There were 4 sections of 2 vehicles in the troop then. The section commander had 2x VRC353 fitted and the 2ic "A" vehicles had 1x VRC353 and 1x PRC351/2. These were used for dismounted patrols or in OPs when Don10 cable and remote handset connected to the VRC353 was impractable due to distance from the section hide. There were no 76mm toxicity problems in my time though towards the end closed down firing of the co-ax was banned due to perceived toxicity levels in the turret. The 76mm had a fair punch and proved effective in Belize during indirect shoots which would have been a good fire support option for infantry there. In Germany I personally think Scimitar was a better recce vehicle. At least then the gunner had a few ready rounds to engage with while the commander struggled with map reading, batco, telling the driver where to go and a radio net in each ear! The small size of the Scorp often allowed us to sneak up on low revs unseen on enemy but a pintle mounted MG on the turret top would have been advantageous for blatting off a few rounds on meeting engagements when bugging out I always thought!

recceRH

Crow
A few pics from Scorpion days. Mostly Germany, Canada and exchange tour with Italian Army in mid to late 80's 021a.jpgView attachment 128275035 24 section hide.jpg039a.jpg[038a.jpg042 Kelv Mullings Ex Eternal Triangle Oct 1986.jpg043.jpgView attachment 128281

Latest Threads