Researching Great Grandad

Been tasked by my old dad to dig a bit about my Great Grandfather and his war service, managed to down load his documents from the NA, to be honest I can't make head nor tails about them, I was aware that he'd served under a few regiments during his service, however he seems to have done a bit more than that. His service suggests that in 4 years he served with, Northumberland Hussars, Northumberland Fusiliers, 57th RB/C (I can't decide whether or not that's a B or C). I/E East Riding Regt, Machine Gun Corps, RFG, RFA. That was news to me, is there anyone out there that can help me decipher his documents, they make very little sense to me. He was a great old boy from what I remember of him.

B

bokkatankie

Been tasked by my old dad to dig a bit about my Great Grandfather and his war service, managed to down load his documents from the NA, to be honest I can't make head nor tails about them, I was aware that he'd served under a few regiments during his service, however he seems to have done a bit more than that. His service suggests that in 4 years he served with, Northumberland Hussars, Northumberland Fusiliers, 57th RB/C (I can't decide whether or not that's a B or C). I/E East Riding Regt, Machine Gun Corps, RFG, RFA. That was news to me, is there anyone out there that can help me decipher his documents, they make very little sense to me. He was a great old boy from what I remember of him.
Do you have his Army / Service Number and or numbers and date of birth? Assuming WW1?

B

bokkatankie

It's possible he had more than one service number.
In WW1 they were issued by Regiments so it's possible on posting he got a new number specific to his Regiment
Agreed, TA to Reg, number changes and Regiment to Regiment and or different service, but one number should do to get digging with. WW1 Medal card would be a good start.

It's possible he had more than one service number.
In WW1 they were issued by Regiments so it's possible on posting he got a new number specific to his Regiment
Yeah, he was assigned a different service number for every regiment, it's a right mess his service card, although they had very neat writing in those days, due to it being a photocopy a lot of the lettering is hard to work out.

B

bokkatankie

Yeah, he was assigned a different service number for every regiment, it's a right mess his service card, although they had very neat writing in those days, due to it being a photocopy a lot of the lettering is hard to work out.
Name, DofB and one number, should enable me to get going on cards etc.

Have you got copies of all his service documents? I have Ancestry membership so could look them up for you, assuming they still exist.
It could be the NA have given me a few index cards relating to my great grand father and perhaps a couple of others with the same name, I'm just waiting for my dad to come back with my great grandfathers D.O.B. which I foolishly got rid of after I'd searched the NA and the mystery could be solved.

I hope you don't mind me leaping in on your thread?
any ideas where to look for any records on the white russian /churchill fiasco of 1919?
I keep getting stonewalled as it was sort of kept quiet and the records are hard to find, my grandad was in the RA in that scuffle I dont have his no I would appreciate if I could find the names of the RA batterys that were there, and that would give me a start....I know there are some good historians on aarse and would be grateful for any leads...cheers my dears.

I hope you don't mind me leaping in on your thread?
any ideas where to look for any records on the white russian /churchill fiasco of 1919?
I keep getting stonewalled as it was sort of kept quiet and the records are hard to find, my grandad was in the RA in that scuffle I dont have his no I would appreciate if I could find the names of the RA batterys that were there, and that would give me a start....I know there are some good historians on aarse and would be grateful for any leads...cheers my dears.
RootsWeb: GREATWAR-L Re: [WW1] Operation Syren
The following Royal Artillery units served in Russia from 1918-20:

(a) North Russia:

6th Brigade, RFA (formed of 420th Battery and 434th Battery which served at
Maselga and Medvejya Gora;
435th (Howitzer) Battery which served in Retchenga and Maselga;
1203rd Battery which served in Murmansk); and
421 (Howitzer) Battery which was attached to the 6th Brigade, RFA and
served in Archangel.

(b) South Russia:

1st Brigade, RFA which consisted on 11th Battery, 98th Battery and D
(Howitzer) Battery and served from Batum to Tblisi.
10th & 28th Brigade also served in South Russia but did not take part in
any fighting.

(c) Those are the only organised Royal Artillery units identified as
serving in Russia, but individual members of the RFA and RGA also served in
staff positions at headquarters and in training and advisory positions.

It could be the NA have given me a few index cards relating to my great grand father and perhaps a couple of others with the same name, I'm just waiting for my dad to come back with my great grandfathers D.O.B. which I foolishly got rid of after I'd searched the NA and the mystery could be solved.
TNA scanned the original Service record cards in fours to save time, so you will have four cards with similar names. They might be the same bloke, if he was transferred or volunteered for something new like the RFC or tanks, or they will be different blokes with the same name (more likely). Narrow it down with his DOB then get onto his regtl museum. All that I know about my gt grandad is from TNA and the Northants Regt museum. The museum had his coy cdr's diary which had an entry mentioning him on the day he was casevac'ed which led to my cousin finding his medical docs and the details of his injury, treatment, hospital and all.

What you currently have is the medal cards by the sound of it. And yes you're right you do ned to know what the various hieroglyphs mean to make any sense of them at all! There's a great guide on the Natl Archives' own site The National Archives | DocumentsOnline | World War One medal cards

What BarkingSpider is offering to look up for you is his actual service record - much more interesting and will contain his original attestation form, details of his postings to various units and any entries for field hospitals or casualty stations as well as all his DeMob stuff. Sadly the PRO was bombed in WW2 (how ironic) and only about 40% of records survived. My hit rate is about 50% with those I've looked for, but they are a treasure trove of info if you find them. Ancestry subscription lets you look these up for free so it's an offer worth taking up.