Researching Great Grandad

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by panzerknacker, Apr 20, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Been tasked by my old dad to dig a bit about my Great Grandfather and his war service, managed to down load his documents from the NA, to be honest I can't make head nor tails about them, I was aware that he'd served under a few regiments during his service, however he seems to have done a bit more than that. His service suggests that in 4 years he served with, Northumberland Hussars, Northumberland Fusiliers, 57th RB/C (I can't decide whether or not that's a B or C). I/E East Riding Regt, Machine Gun Corps, RFG, RFA. That was news to me, is there anyone out there that can help me decipher his documents, they make very little sense to me. He was a great old boy from what I remember of him.
  2. Do you have his Army / Service Number and or numbers and date of birth? Assuming WW1?
  3. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

It's possible he had more than one service number.
    In WW1 they were issued by Regiments so it's possible on posting he got a new number specific to his Regiment
  4. Agreed, TA to Reg, number changes and Regiment to Regiment and or different service, but one number should do to get digging with. WW1 Medal card would be a good start.
  5. Yeah, he was assigned a different service number for every regiment, it's a right mess his service card, although they had very neat writing in those days, due to it being a photocopy a lot of the lettering is hard to work out.
  6. Name, DofB and one number, should enable me to get going on cards etc.
  7. I'll PM you.
  8. Got them and the email
  9. Have you got copies of all his service documents? I have Ancestry membership so could look them up for you, assuming they still exist.
  10. It could be the NA have given me a few index cards relating to my great grand father and perhaps a couple of others with the same name, I'm just waiting for my dad to come back with my great grandfathers D.O.B. which I foolishly got rid of after I'd searched the NA and the mystery could be solved.
  11. You'll have a job with the MGC- A lot of their records were destroyed in a fire in the 1920's.
    Their Regimental Association is still running though, and they have some good researchers.

Machine Gun Corps Old Comrades Association
  12. Cheers Hector, I've got some help ongoing at the minute, I think the NA gave me some duff information so some fine chaps on here are looking into it for me.
  13. I hope you don't mind me leaping in on your thread?
    any ideas where to look for any records on the white russian /churchill fiasco of 1919?
    I keep getting stonewalled as it was sort of kept quiet and the records are hard to find, my grandad was in the RA in that scuffle I dont have his no I would appreciate if I could find the names of the RA batterys that were there, and that would give me a start....I know there are some good historians on aarse and would be grateful for any leads...cheers my dears.
  14. RootsWeb: GREATWAR-L Re: [WW1] Operation Syren
    • Like Like x 1
  15. TNA scanned the original Service record cards in fours to save time, so you will have four cards with similar names. They might be the same bloke, if he was transferred or volunteered for something new like the RFC or tanks, or they will be different blokes with the same name (more likely). Narrow it down with his DOB then get onto his regtl museum. All that I know about my gt grandad is from TNA and the Northants Regt museum. The museum had his coy cdr's diary which had an entry mentioning him on the day he was casevac'ed which led to my cousin finding his medical docs and the details of his injury, treatment, hospital and all.