Researching Bronze Star winners?

Discussion in 'Multinational HQ' started by antiwar, Mar 18, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi Guys, I recently came across a Bronze Star named to Robert L Muckle. I`ve got his army number and know he joined in August 1944, and were he came from, but have been unable to discover how/what he got his BSM for. It doesn`t have a `V`, so I know its for meritous service, can anyone help me out, or suggest where I might be able to find out more about him?
  2. Robert L. Muckel (Army serial number: 33876554) enlisted on 7 Aug 1944. He was born in 1926 and was from Lancaster County, Pennsylvania.
  3. It is possible to request records from the US Government, but it takes weeks at least, months on average. Given that Bronze Stars for Meritorious Service aren't actually all that rare, I don't think it's worth the hassle, really. You're as well off looking up the Lancaster County Hall of Records on the web and giving them a call. They might be able to put you onto a relative if they don't have a copy of the records themselves. Basically, how badly do you want to know?

4. Cheers CT, one day I`ll give it a bash. Many thanks for replying anyway!!!!
  5. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

FNG here!

In WW II all who were awarded the Combat Infantry Badge were also awarded the Bronze Star without the "V" for Valor. So far, this was the only war, where this was done. I suspect the reason it was done was because of the total time, most Infantry types served in that war. (Serving for the duration.)

Other wars, such as Korean War, (Where I served.) Vietnam and others all had a rotation policy, usually one year.
  6. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

Dogface: Yes, I was aware of that fact! My point wasn't the time spent "on the line." It was that WW II Infantry soldiers did not have a rotation policy. They remained in their unit and in the same "theater" until KIA, MIA, WIA (Disabled) until the end of the War.

Yes, they (WW II) were pulled off the "line" and in somecases moved back to (England) such as the 82nd Airborne and the 101st Airborne. (Still in the ETO.) Or in other cases, moved back in to reserve to re-fit and reorganize, etc. The fact remains though, they were not rotated to the USA, like the wars since then.
  7. Cheers Guys, thats very interesting. Thanks very much.