Researching an Army/RFC/RAF officer

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Krek_Brizzle, Apr 20, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. Hello,

    I want to look in to the service history of my great-grandfather but I'm not really sure where to start because of his varied appointments. You can get the full rundown here: R P Mills_P but basically he was in the Army and seconded to the RFC in 1913. He was in the RAF from its inception and spent quite a few years in India before retiring in the 30s. He was then reactivated in 1939 and served until 1942.

    The National Archives pertain to hold digitised service records of RFC and RAF officers, but when I submit a search he doesn't come up. Should I therefore try submitting a request to the relevant office at (I think) RAF Cranwell? I know that a lot of Great War records were destroyed in the Blitz.

    I'm not sure about service numbers; the sit above mentions 01090; I presume this is an RAF number, since it's low and he was in at its creation.
  2. There's a cut off date for the release of records - as he was in after 1922, he won't have made it to Kew yet.

    You can start tracking him down via this link.