Researching a Yeomanry Gunner?

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Tartan_Terrier, Jun 29, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'd like to find out more about my grandfather's service during WWII. I know that he was in the Ayrshire Yeomanry before the war, and that he served in the RA in Burma.

I know that the Ayrshire Yeomanry were re-roled as Artillery, but neither 151st or 152nd (Ayrshire Yeomanry) Field Regiments served in Burma. So I presume he was transferred to another unit at some point.

I have very few details, but I do have two of his medals and his service number.

Where would be the best place for me to begin research? Is the Ayrshire Yeomanry likely to be of any help? Or is it too far in the past for them to have any records?

2. If you type Ayrshire Yeomanry you will come across a site dedicated to this unit. There is a potted history of The Ayrshire Yeomanry(Earl of Carricks own) but not much else. They are part of the Queens own Yeomanry TA, who may hold the war diaries. If that is the case, they will give you details of his time in them prior to joining the Royal Artillery. If they haven't got the Diaries then i'm afraid it's off to Kew for you. Most Soldiers records were transferred there and put on the National Archive. Also they may hold the units war diaries and documents. These can be goldmines of information, and contain all the information you may require to gain a good impression of your Grandads war. This can be quite expensive though!

Here goes...The AY served in N.Africa, Italy and NW Europe. If your grandads medals contain the Burma Star, then obviously he was there, and so may have transferred to one of the regular units within the RA that were sent to Burma. Maybe he was posted to 10 Fld regt RA, they were in Burma and fought at Kohima and Imphal in 1944. The reason i suggest this unit is that after the war, the Royal Artillery went through massive changes and re-rolling aswell as redesignation of titles. 10 Fld became 40 Fld Regt RA and are known as the Lowland Gunners. This is because they tend to recruit from the area of Ayrshire and Lanarkshire. Remember, this is only speculation on my part that 10 Fld also recruited from there and may not relate to your grandad at all, but it may be a possible link you can trace. I posted a query on the Gunners thread about the Forgotten Gunners of Kohima. In reference to 10 Fld Regt RA and their campaign in Burma. There is quite a bit of information on there that you can use, if it turns out to be relevent??

There are far better qualified people on here than me, so maybe one will help you!

Good Luck!
  3. Being from that units desendants, I MAY be able to help, or I can ask someone who should be able to.
  4. Nice one! Shall I PM you the details?