• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

research

ok here's the deal both my grandfathers were in WW2 driving trucks moving 25 ton guns around, now my grandfather on my mum's side got invilided out at cherboug and never saw service again but my grandfather on my dad's side saw action in africa and italy.

so I want to find out more on what him and his buddies did out there does anyone have any pointers as to whom I contact?

Try the following:

National Archive Web Link

Link

Or Army Records Office:

LINK

You will need the following:

These starting points will help you find the individual you are after.

Make sure you have as full a version of the name as possible - it will be easier to identify 'Thomas George Victor Atkins' if you have the full name - there may be dozens of 'T. Atkins'.
Find out which of the services the individual served in - the army, Royal Navy (including Royal Marines) or Royal Air Force. Any further details of the regiment and battalion, ship or squadron will also speed things up.
Find out when the person served; pre First World War, First World War and after 1920 are the loosest categories, but again, the more detail you can provide the better. Enlistment and demobilisation dates are particularly helpful.
From there, you can get in contact with various Regts - you may get more info from RA Library Officer - get their numbers from Firepower Website:

LINK

GBTD

Latest Threads