Research question to techies

Discussion in 'Hardware - PCs, Consoles, Gadgets' started by BoomShackerLacker, May 3, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Recent discussion at work about the prospect of email being replaced by social media (Facebook et al).

What is the view of techies on this? Timescales?

2. It's not gonna happen at all, not in it's entirity anyhow.

Can you imagine the SiS using facebook instead of secure comms?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Or.....Tpr Taff, and Tpr Smudge (the racist) get dropped into enemy grounds.

They lay-up, get squared away, then get the comms kit out. Would they:

a: send an email by burst transmition to send locstat
    b: log on facebook and "check him and his mucker in" on faceache?

4. Problem with social media is that you don't know where your data is going, nor who can access it, facebooks a bugger for data mining oppurtunitys. Cloud computing is all very well also but can you guarantee it will be there when you need it ?

5. Highly unlikely, at least not unless an entire generation grow up using social media instead of email for communication, then enter business, and displace email by virtue of position and preference. In it's current state, SM does not allow for easy grouping of subjects or rapid searching, for example. Email is portable, and can be controlled by an organisation. SM is not.

The original comment was made by someone promoting his platform, and who is neither "techie" nor "visionary". "social media" may well turn into a fad, and unless Facebook finds a way to make money it may run into problems when people have a Tokyo moment and realise that it whilst it might be valued at gazillions per share it has little to back that up with other than "data".

6. There is a US University that's ditched email... but can't recall where - and using social media platform... someone from Arrse will studying there now... just a matter of time!

7. Guns

Guns LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. The Royal Navy

In firms most inter person communications is via IM/Chat programmes.

In fact at sea within task groups most inter ship communication is now via chat programmes.

Emails are becoming much more like letters and faxes - formal communications.

Most under 25 year olds are much more used to using IM to communicate rather than email.

8. Just an ignorant question by someone who never uses chat or social media: emails can replace formal written communications because they are easily archived and leave a clear audit trail (i.e. in embedded addressing data, server backups, etc); do chat and other social media formats leave such a clearly-defined record, or are they generally lost?

At the moment I'm looking into ways of preserving text messages in hard copy; I don't know how you'd preserve something important from a chat message box?

9. Guns

1. The Royal Navy

Corporate IM programmes will backup and save chat. IM conversations are as legal as Email and the need to preserve for compliance has led to it being the norm.

10. You could use a chat based forum that was locked off to others. ie your own facebook/bebo/forum that only those you wanted to could view.

You don't actually have to use actual facebook for your comms, just something similar.

ditto, for example, wikipedia. If the software was uploaded to DII (for example) it could then be used to create a wiki but only viewable by those who had access to DII.

You could use OUs Illuminate, where you actualy enter class rooms/rooms to interact with certain people. Or even second life style imagery (that would give the G6 boys some Bandwidth issues!!!).

You could use something like the Chat facility on arrse.

11. Guns

1. The Royal Navy

I used to use the IM programme with DII alot to communicate with others in my field of Info Sup and Info Assurance. Once a decision was made we then emailed it around and then filed that to Record.

It is a great tool and especially for sending abuse to Oppos.

12. BrunoNoMedals

BrunoNoMedals LE Reviewer

I don't see how Instant Messaging classes as Social Media. Social Media is publically-accessed data; websites that promote sharing. IM is targetted chat; basically instant-access email. If the media want to confuse the two because IM is seen as something the kids are doing, they're ******* stupid. IM is almost as old as email, and something I was using to get into girls' knickers more than a decade ago (when I was only 50...), long before Facebook, Twitter... even bloody MySpace and Hotmail Profiles.

• Like Like x 1