Research Project

Loula

Crow
We are conducting research from Nottingham Trent University that aims to explore life after military. In particular personal relationships, wellbeing, individual use of local/national support services and satisfaction among ex-military personnel will be investigated.

We are seeking ex-military personnel who have left the Armed Forces within the last 24 months across the United Kingdom. Have you recently left and have 20 minutes to spare? If so, could you take the time to complete an online survey that examines how men and women cope with life in ‘civvy-street’ after leaving the forces?

The majority of people will make a satisfactory transition into civilian life. However, some find it difficult to cope with the challenges that this may bring. It is hoped this research will highlight areas where these people do not cope as well as others and enable preventative steps to be taken in the future.

Thank you

Leaving the military: Mapping support and challenges faced by ex-military personnel.

We are conducting research from Nottingham Trent University that aims to explore life after military. In particular personal relationships, wellbeing, individual use of local/national support services and satisfaction among ex-military personnel will be investigated.

We are seeking ex-military personnel who have left the Armed Forces within the last 24 months across the United Kingdom. Have you recently left and have 20 minutes to spare? If so, could you take the time to complete an online survey that examines how men and women cope with life in ‘civvy-street’ after leaving the forces?

The majority of people will make a satisfactory transition into civilian life. However, some find it difficult to cope with the challenges that this may bring. It is hoped this research will highlight areas where these people do not cope as well as others and enable preventative steps to be taken in the future.

Thank you

Leaving the military: Mapping support and challenges faced by ex-military personnel.
Other information such as:

- Who you are.
- your supervisor.
- Your faculty.
- sponsoring/funding agency.
- scope of research.
- where results/outcomes will be published.

You know, the usual stuff. We may be soldiers, but we ain't stupid. Quite a few post-grads, PhD's and professionals on our little forum so somewhat fuller disclosure goes a long way to getting participation.........and that way you won't have to make up your stats as many researchers in university do. Oh yes they do, seen it all the way from BSc to Post Doc.

Why do these surveys always concentrate on the potential negative aspects? This one uses words such as "addictive behaviours, historic and present adverse life experiences (such as abuse and traumatic events)", and "Questions will include use of social care, housing, council funded initiatives and partnership schemes.".

I'd love to see something like this that concentrates on the positive aspects of service in HMF. There are plenty of people on this website who are successful, have no need or interest in social care, social housing or council funded initiatives. Their service set them up for success in life, and are positively advantaged when entering the civilian workforce.

It's almost as though there is a preconceived notion that people leaving HMF require social support. That may be true in some cases, but equally, it's as irrelevant to many of us as drug abuse treatment - i.e. not required and offensive to even suggest that it might be.

Agreed.
Well adjusted squaddies don't beget academic papers.

Last edited:

P.O.N.T.I

War Hero
I'm well adjusted, shake twice and tuck away neatly to the left

The_Snail

ADC
RIP
I'd volunteer, but I've been out longer than 2 years, and according to my restraining order, I'm not allowed to go to Nottingham. I wouldn't really have set my ex-mother-in-law's house on fire if she didn't give me the dog back.

I'd have got someone else to do it.

Other information such as:

- Who you are.
- your supervisor.
- Your faculty.
- sponsoring/funding agency.
- scope of research.
- where results/outcomes will be published.

You know, the usual stuff. We may be soldiers, but we ain't stupid. Quite a few post-grads, PhD's and professionals on our little forum so somewhat fuller disclosure goes a long way to getting participation.........and that way you won't have to make up your stats as many researchers in university do. Oh yes they do, seen it all the way from BSc to Post Doc.
Ditto. Although your have an information page, it would be better if you also added your research proposal. You've identified the focus (of sorts, as you don't have a supposition), but I would suggest it was a little wider, to compare and contrast those of us who have left before current conflicts.

I'd also suggest you share your expected outcomes, where is this research going to take us?

Why do these surveys always concentrate on the potential negative aspects? This one uses words such as "addictive behaviours, historic and present adverse life experiences (such as abuse and traumatic events)", and "Questions will include use of social care, housing, council funded initiatives and partnership schemes.".

I'd love to see something like this that concentrates on the positive aspects of service in HMF. There are plenty of people on this website who are successful, have no need or interest in social care, social housing or council funded initiatives. Their service set them up for success in life, and are positively advantaged when entering the civilian workforce.

It's almost as though there is a preconceived notion that people leaving HMF require social support. That may be true in some cases, but equally, it's as irrelevant to many of us as drug abuse treatment - i.e. not required and offensive to even suggest that it might be.
Agreed.

Also, pound to a penny, the survey's headline will announce that the number/percent of prisoners who are ex-soldiers is some outrageously inflated figure, by failing to take account of the fact that more than a few of them served so long ago as to be irrelevant.

There's no funding into happy things?

I do not have a drugs, or alcohol problem, I can get hold of both quite easily. Tear off a bit of my MSc scroll for a roach end and I'm happy larry. My social worker is a bit of a twat 'cos she talks to my probation officer and they are both trying to get me a job, off the dole and out of the halfway house. I was looking at van driving or security work cos even though I have some qualifications as I was in the army, only responsible for 12 million a year, managing contracts, and 45 staff that is all I am best suited to.

I do not have a drugs, or alcohol problem, I can get hold of both quite easily. Tear off a bit of my MSc scroll for a roach end and I'm happy larry. My social worker is a bit of a twat 'cos she talks to my probation officer and they are both trying to get me a job, off the dole and out of the halfway house. I was looking at van driving or security work cos even though I have some qualifications as I was in the army, only responsible for 12 million a year, managing contracts, and 45 staff that is all I am best suited to.[/img]
You idle jack sh!t! I have over a hundred and twenty young minds to bend every week. And you think you've got problems! Pah! Ask @Banker where his next mattress to hide a squillion quid is coming from, now that's a worry

Ditto. Although your have an information page, it would be better if you also added your research proposal. You've identified the focus (of sorts, as you don't have a supposition), but I would suggest it was a little wider, to compare and contrast those of us who have left before current conflicts.

I'd also suggest you share your expected outcomes, where is this research going to take us?
Hypothesis; that is the word I was trying to grasp earlier.

You idle jack sh!t! I have over a hundred and twenty young minds to bend every week. And you think you've got problems! Pah! Ask @Banker where his next mattress to hide a squillion quid is coming from, now that's a worry
Shhhh! You'll destroy the stereotype.

Loula

Crow
Dear all,
Thank you for taking the time to read the research proposal. It is difficult to know how much information to give out on a forum (as there is so little space), but we’d be happy to send a more detailed email/post about the basis of the research if you’re interested.

Yes, we definitely agree with you- the majority of personnel leaving the forces will have a successful transition, move on into civvy-street and go on to live fulfilling lives. What we are trying to do with our research is help those that are not. For this reason, we need to ask negative sounding questions and hope that many people as well as some of the people who struggle answer. We are really sorry for offending you. The issues we have focused on in this study have been identified by several recent reports and the experiences of one of the research team members who served in the Royal Navy for 8 years. The research is driven by an enthusiasm to help those who have struggled and the potential effect of recent changes to health and social care.

If you would like to hear more about the measures we have chosen and why, we’d be very happy to talk to you through them."

Best wishes,
Fraenze

Dr Fraenze Kibowski (Room 2302, Chaucer)
Lecturer in Psychology
Nottingham Trent University
Burton Street
Nottingham
NG1 4BU
Tel + 44 (0)115 848 4514

Latest Threads