Research project into gay soldiers in the British Army

Slime

LE
Despite being married the Roman emperor Hadrian was gay.

It didn’t stop him building Hadrians wall.

He even came up with a support group for gay people, and named it stonewall :)

Ok, that last bit was made up.

Slime

LE
Imagine how annoying a gay, vegan pilot is going to be.

just let that sink in for a moment or two.
Might be worth a try, with those credentials they could demand a better butty box than the standard manky cheese sandwich and manky crisps
:)

endure

GCM
Do you want to investigate just the proper gays or the 'got really drunk and had an argument with the Missus so my oppo will have to do' gays?

Otherwise known as the 'eight pints of lager' gays...

Presumably there were no 'openly' gay servicemen before 2000, when it was decriminalised?
Late 80s a WO2, iirc, at Ashford Templar Bks had some sort of meltdown; pad smashed up, stand off of some kind, turned out he was closeted gay, not seen again. I was only just out of basic, not at centre of events.

Not long after "Gunner" C-----n, transferee from, er, the Artillery, was gaybashed by civvies in town.

I remember a stark divide, SNCOs very anti gay and judgemental, us babies thinking "so what?"

Times change. Good.

Back in the stone age, ...
In the 1970's poofters were not tolerated, or liked, different time, different mind-set.
Back even further, early/late 60's. Someone said, having witnessed it, "There wis MacDonald hinging' oot o' Campbells errse." Nothing more was said or done about it. A bit of piss taking, but nothing nasty.

Names have been changed to protect the fudge packers, and any reference to 1692 is purely coincidental.

Despite being married the Roman emperor Hadrian was gay.

It didn’t stop him building Hadrians wall.

He even came up with a support group for gay people, and named it stonewall :)

Ok, that last bit was made up.
Hadrian didn't build it himself.

He had a lot of lithe, muscular guys build it, mostly wearing skimpy loin cloths and leather sandals with thongs laced around their calves.

Some of them were supervised by older Legionaries, in armour, who were allowed to use whips from time to time.

I think that's historically accurate.

Lee would seem to have been at this project for a year:

From the article

In a 1992 survey, the vast majority of serving officers found the idea of serving with gay colleagues ‘repulsive’

Which is odd because quite a few of them on here have remembered that they always like gays and that privately they didn't have a problem with them, but the rules were set by people much higher than them.
According to the link it appears quite a few were prejudiced.

Slime

LE
As an aside, back in the days when gays couldn’t be openly gay in the forces there were concerns about how things might go badly wrong if gay people could join the army and be openly gay.

For those of you around at that time have a quick think about this:

Can any of you ever remember anyone even considering that officers would use promoting (in a public/media way) gay soldiers rights as a way to enhance their career, or, officers donning rainbow coloured items or telling troops to attend gay rallies?

I can’t say I ever heard or even thought such things would occur.

Hadrian didn't build it himself.

He had a lot of lithe, muscular guys build it, mostly wearing skimpy loin cloths and leather sandals with thongs laced around their calves.

Some of them were supervised by older Legionaries, in armour, who were allowed to use whips from time to time.

I think that's historically accurate.
The poor buggers wouldn't last long dressed like that,in that part of the country... ;)

Awol

LE
The problem with the OP's enquiry is that there are only ever going to be two responses........ firstly that gay soldiers were treated the same as everyone else with no prejudice shown against them, in other words, no story.......or, they were picked on because of their gayness and suffered accordingly, in other words, big story, reflecting badly on the army.

There is never going to be a third option, that they were super soldiers who did no wrong, because that soldier has never existed anywhere.

So the question is loaded, whether by intent or by accident. Given the OP's connection with the IWM, and that he appears to be a genuine scholar, I would favour the latter, but that doesn't mean that his final work isn't going to end up in the hands of the press and distorted to sell copy.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
H The Science Forum 76
L Old & Bold 23
L The Intelligence Cell 0

Latest Threads