Research project into gay soldiers in the British Army

Were you a gay soldier in the British Army?
Are you a gay soldier in the British Army?

I am doing a research project for the Imperial War Museum looking at the experiences of gay soldiers in the British Army from the mid-1970s onwards and I am looking for people who would be willing to talk to me about their time. My project will try to get a sense of what these times were like and how it was to be a gay man (whether openly gay or not) fitting in to Army culture. It will think about the issues gay men faced - both while serving and afterwards - and will try to trace wider changes in the Army itself.

Your input can be completely anonymous if you wish. If you are interested in being interviewed, or would like further information, I can be contacted by email at mrleearnott@googlemail.com

Thanks for reading my post.

I am doing a research project for the Imperial War Museum looking at the experiences of gay soldiers in the British Army from the mid-1970s onwards and I am looking for people who would be willing to talk to me about their time. My project will try to get a sense of what these times were like and how it was to be a gay man (whether openly gay or not) fitting in to Army culture. It will think about the issues gay men faced - both while serving and afterwards - and will try to trace wider changes in the Army itself.

Your input can be completely anonymous if you wish. If you are interested in being interviewed, or would like further information, I can be contacted by email at mrleearnott@googlemail.com

Tell me how been gay makes you a crap soldier. It doesn't.
Have you asked permission from the CO?

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer

You might wish to clear this with the site owners before embarking on such a great venture.

Are you sure you aren't a lazy journo?

Why just gay men and not gay women? I find your post offensive to rug munchers.

P.O.N.T.I

War Hero
We had a war dog in BAOR who was gay.........well, in BAOR it would have been a poof.
Support Fido

I'm not gay, nor have I ever served. But of those gay soldiers that I once met, their homosexuality had no bearing on their usefulness or how they were treated by their peers.

To broadly paraphrase an old saying 'You don't care who it is next to you, as long as they do their job.'

I'm not gay, nor have I ever served. But of those gay soldiers that I once met, their homosexuality had no bearing on their usefulness or how they were treated by their peers.

To broadly paraphrase an old saying 'You don't care who it is next to you, as long as they do their job.'
Thats bollocks mate, loads of gay blokes face/faced abuse.
Dykes were fairly much left alone.

Back in the stone age, a full screw minced into the back of CP4 ( 22 Sigs) on Ex crusader 80, the OC took an instant dislike to him, when he produced a nail file and proceeded to file and preen his nails. I was asked to leave, and an almighty bollocking ensued. He was absent from all subsequent exercises.

In the 1970's poofters were not tolerated, or liked, different time, different mind-set.

MrMemory

War Hero
Presumably there were no 'openly' gay servicemen before 2000, when it was decriminalised?

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I know lots of guys who got fucked by the army... That the same thing?

triggerigger

War Hero
Yes i was reasonably happy most of the time as long as i wasn't expected to do any forces stuff.

Aside from their sexuality, were the blokes cnuts anyway?

Also, was that this millennium?
There were a few gay related shenigans that resulted in abuse including a kicking.
As I have to constantly point out to some people on here who claim to be officers or SNCOs, alot of our commonwealth soldiers have been brought up to view gays "unfavourably". As do some white working class lads straight out of some shithole estate where being openly gay is almost a death sentence.

I know lots of guys who got fucked by the army... That the same thing?

ah you were also aware of ** R****s at BHM Rinteln then, she was brutal with whoever she chose for that particular evening.

Presumably there were no 'openly' gay servicemen before 2000, when it was decriminalised?
23 squadron, 2CS had a couple of gayers caught bumming in other in the back of truck in Kosovo, I think they were both kicked out in 1999
16 regt had a gay who was harassing a younger lad but for what ever reason the army chose to send him to the Falklands for 8 months (two tours) in 1999. In 2000 he was proudly claiming he was queer and here in a pioneer bar, he was duly kicked to ****.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
H The Science Forum 76
L Old & Bold 23
L The Intelligence Cell 0

Latest Threads