research- help requested

Discussion in 'Police, PMCs, Security' started by Poppy, Jun 15, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. friend sent me this is anyone is willing to assist with this research:

"Please see a gentle reminder from Alison Hawks, following up on the email sent a few weeks ago. Minimal Risk is also very grateful for those who have participated in this survey as the data provided is proving invaluable with regards to your working environment. Apologises if this email is an inconvenience.

From Alison Hawks:

I first want to thank everyone for the overwhelming response in taking my survey, you are a vital part of my research and I could not do this project without your help, thank you. This is to remind those who have not yet taken the survey that there is still time to participate, please click on this link: and you will be taken to the survey. The survey EXPIRES ON FRIDAY JUNE 22, 2012 17.00GMT.

If you have taken the survey already, please disregard this email and huge thank you for your participation.

If you have not yet taken the survey, my name is Ali Hawks, I am a PhD student in the War Studies Department at King's College London. This email is to invite you to participate in a survey on individual private security contractors, which is a vital part of my PhD research.

Minimal Risk has agreed to support this project by allowing this survey to be sent to you. It is a one-time survey that will take approximately 15 minutes. The survey is anonymous and your answers will in no way be linked to any individual. Also, you are free to respond as you wish.

This is the first ever comprehensive survey of individual security contractors and gives you an opportunity to have your voice heard on what it feels like to be a contractor and the role contracting plays in your life. So far, no one knows much about whom you are and why you do what you do as a contractor. Most people think of security contractors as mercenaries or associated with the security company Blackwater. This is a chance to tell a different story. I am doing this research because I believe that security contractors have been largely overlooked in current analysis, and hope to provide a more balanced account in the way of new research. I am asking you to please help me tell the story by taking part in the survey. I will ask a series of questions about transition, motives, networks and job engagement. Again, ALL ANSWERS ARE ANONYMOUS.

This is a secured survey, data encrypted and stored in accordance to the Data Protection Act 1998. There is no time limit on finishing; HOWEVER, you can only access this survey ONE TIME. You will not be able to save your answers and return to the survey.

If you have any questions or comments, please do not hesitate to email me at the following address: PLEASE DO NOT RESPOND TO THE MINIMAL RISK EMAIL ADDRESS, AS IT WILL NOT BE RECEIVED.

In the event you have a complaint or wish to verify this project, please contact either of my two supervisors: Dr. Christopher Kinsey, Joint Services Command and Staff College, OR Professor Christopher Dandeker, King's College London, <> Minimal Risk has read and approved this message to you, and encourages you to take part in the survey if you wish.

I know all of you are extremely busy and moving around a lot, I truly appreciate your time in assisting me with my research.

Ali Hawks
    PhD Candidate
    War Studies Department
    King's College London
    Strand, WC2R 2LS
    UK +7702680140
    US +619.995.2839"