Research help on WW1 soldier.

I'm going to have another ago at researching, whether the soldier mentioned is a relation in my family.
Nowhere can I find his date of birth, or age, which is vital in the research process.

Private John Wignall 10th Bn Kings Liverpool Regiment Service number; 357958 - Killed 9/8/1917 Buried CWG Wimereux
(I found one mention that he was attached to the Royal Engineers at the time of his death).

There is nothing on his medal card, graves record, soldiers effects record, or other websites that mention him.
I'm stumped. I did follow another soldier, same name but discovered it wasn't him.

So, I'm open to ideas to enable me to pin his full identity with a date of birth.

Attachments

• John Wignall photo - 1-10th Kings Regt....JPG
    John Wignall photo - 1-10th Kings Regt....JPG
    61 KB · Views: 23
  • john wignall roll.JPG
    john wignall roll.JPG
    130.3 KB · Views: 16
  • Pte John Wignall CWGC.JPG
    Pte John Wignall CWGC.JPG
    65 KB · Views: 14
  • 773 died on date of John Wignalls death 1917.JPG
    773 died on date of John Wignalls death 1917.JPG
    18 KB · Views: 13
  • Pte John Wignall - Kings regt.JPG
    Pte John Wignall - Kings regt.JPG
    17.6 KB · Views: 14
  • Pte John Wignall grave record..jpg
    Pte John Wignall grave record..jpg
    300.3 KB · Views: 15
  • John Wignall - soldiers effects record.JPG
    John Wignall - soldiers effects record.JPG
    65.3 KB · Views: 17
  • john wignall - medal record.JPG
    john wignall - medal record.JPG
    139.4 KB · Views: 18
Something of a muddle:

The Dependants Pension record shows that his father, also John, was the original beneficiary. However, following his death, his step-sister became the benefiary:

Wignall, John (357958).jpg

That he died of wounds suggests that he was recovered to (at least) a Casualty Clearing Station, though I can't pin that one down.

. . . and, of course, the 10th's Medical Officer was a certain Capt. Chavasse VC*, who had been KIA on 4 Aug 1917.

Kitchener

Swinger
When John Wignall was born in 1898, his father, John, was 37 and his mother, Mary, was 25. He had one brother and four sisters. He died on 9 August 1917 in France at the age of 19.

In the 1911 Census it shows him as a 15 year old scholar. I tried uploading but it is too big sorry. Let me know how else I can send it if you want.

His Parents were :
John Guy Wignall 1861-1933
Mary Ann King 1873-1916

He had 4 Siblings
Annie Wignall 1900-1979
Harry Wignall 1908-?
Mabel Veronica Wignall 1910-1986
Edna Wignall 1912-1983

Something of a muddle:

The Dependants Pension record shows that his father, also John, was the original beneficiary. However, following his death, his step-sister became the benefiary:

That he died of wounds suggests that he was recovered to (at least) a Casualty Clearing Station, though I can't pin that one down.

. . . and, of course, the 10th's Medical Officer was a certain Capt. Chavasse VC*, who had been KIA on 4 Aug 1917.

Thank you for the information. You are right it is something of a muddle, especially as I spent so long before trying to pin his exact date of birth. Your attachment will help, as I try to draw together as many references to him as possible.

@birkinqc

Does that help clarify things and your relation?

Thank you for the details you have supplied. It would appear he was 20, or 21 at the time of his death, depending on month of birth. The relation (if any) would be through my stepfather, who is deceased.
He never mentioned any connection with Wignall, yet had his Victory Medal, where I got his service details.
It is possible, that there is no relationship and the medal could have been collected, or gifted to my stepfather.
All contributions will be drawn together in the hope of providing more clues. It's not going to be easy, but hopefully, a result will be achieved, one way or the other.

Kitchener

Swinger
All contributions will be drawn together in the hope of providing more clues. It's not going to be easy, but hopefully, a result will be achieved, one way or the other.
If you have his Victory medal and the number is the one you stated (357958) then that is the correct one which matches up with the photos of the gentleman that you sent. If you see the tree I will attach which has been created by a relative it might be useful when trying to work out your relation. The family has attached records to his photo which confirm the number and it seems like they have the original photo.

He also had a Half sister called Mary King so maybe that could be your connector? I’m sure you don’t want to say your relevant surnames on here but into might Ben possible to work your way up from the bottom. O’Neil seems to be quite common for his descendants.

Have a great evening

If you have his Victory medal and the number is the one you stated (357958) then that is the correct one which matches up with the photos of the gentleman that you sent. If you see the tree I will attach which has been created by a relative it might be useful when trying to work out your relation. The family has attached records to his photo which confirm the number and it seems like they have the original photo.

He also had a Half sister called Mary King so maybe that could be your connector? I’m sure you don’t want to say your relevant surnames on here but into might Ben possible to work your way up from the bottom. O’Neil seems to be quite common for his descendants.

Have a great evening

Thank you for the additional information and family tree (That looks like Ancestry.com? I could do with a full one to see if any surnames I've turned up match). With the other contributions from yourself and FourZeroCharlie, I can dispense with the other John Wignall possibilities that I turned up when I first started this venture. The key was his father, with the middle name of Guy, that was confirmed on official records connected with the WW1 John Wignall.

I had started working backwards from my stepfather (Brown) to see a connection. His father was born in 1900, around the same time as John Wignall, but his later marriage does not throw up a connection to Wignall. He had a son (my stepfather) and a daughter both now deceased. I traced the daughter, but neither her first marriage, (to a RAF aircrewman, in Bomber Command, killed on a raid in WW2), nor her second husband had a Wignall surname). Did my stepfather's sister have children from the second marriage?. I don't know (yet).
My stepfathers first marriage had no Wignall connection through his wife's maiden name and no children.

My stepfathers great grandfather had 2 sons and two daughters, who probably married and had children. Also, Wignall's grandfather had 2 sons and two daugthers, who probably married and had children too. There's a possibility that one of them could have married a Wignall. So you can see how this web expands like the branches of a tree sprouting off in all directions. The mind boggles at this matrix. Also, I'm one generation out of step between the Wignall's and Brown's. At least they are all from the same area, Liverpool/Lancashire.

The attachment I have matches the details you supplied previously. Shows John as a scholar aged 13 in 1911 which would have made him approx 19 at the time of his death.

Attachments

• john guy wignall - son john - possible.JPG
    john guy wignall - son john - possible.JPG
    74.5 KB · Views: 2

Latest Threads