"Rescuing" a loin of venison

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by supermatelot, Dec 28, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Last night we had our christmas dinner (working over christmas). I roasted a 3lb loin of venison that had been marinading in red wine, garlic, rosemary and thyme for 36 hours.
    I cooked it wrapped in bacon uncovered for 20 mins at 220C then covered it and reduced the heat to 170C for a further 30 mins.
    I'm not a fan of "bloody" meat so I had the outer cuts. There is still quite a bit left and I plan on taking some to work tonight.
    Any ideas on how I can reduce the bloodyness without it drying out too much?

2. Make a Wellington out of it. Lay parma ham out on cling film, smear mushroom Duxelle (or Liver Paté) over the ham then wrap the venison up in it to create a sealed roll. Plonk it on pre-purchased puff pastry, egg-yolk wash then bake in the oven for 20 minutes
  3. Fang_Farrier

Fang_Farrier LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Slice thin, reheat in some of the marinade.

We had a friend of Miss Fang drop off some venison last night (in a Highland manner of trying to impress a lass!) Haunch and saddle in freezer but we got some chops that are being cooked competively!
    Mrs Fang has marinaded hers in port with juniper berries and is planning on over roasting them. I'm going for a olive oil, garlic, paprika and origano marinade and will grill them.

4. Try putting it in the microwave oven on defrost or very low for a while to make the blood run and then laying it on paper kitchen towels to leach the blood out, might take a few goes, that's all I would try to do with it.
  5. Braise it in the original marinade...slow cooking will keep it moist and yet will reduce the bloodiness.

I like what the Fang Farriers are about - me and TFB often have cook-offs!
  6. I thought that he asked for any ideas of how to reduce the blood without drying it out too much? not recook it.
  7. Fang_Farrier

Fang_Farrier LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Only way to do it as far as I'm aware is to recook it. Even your microwave method is a recooking even if on a very low level.
  8. I assumed that he was/is satisfied with the flavour as it it now and wanted to take it to work cold. If he still has marinade left and can do what you suggest at work, I would go for that too, otherwise I suspect it will be dry if eating re done that way when cold.

All else failing, you can curry it. :)
  9. This may sound a bit odd, but you could try steaming it in the oven (or in a big f**k off saucepan with lid). The trick is to keep the container sealed.
  10. If it works with lumps of Wildebeest.
  11. There is no way of reducing the bloodiness without recooking it in some style - unless you happen to be one of the undead...a wampyr.
  12. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Mistake No1, would you marinade beef? If so then carry on, I eat shed loads of venison and I too when I started fell for the marinade line. Treat Venison as cuts of beef and you really cant go wrong, it just needs less time to roast as it has a lot less fat.
    I have found that I can fry the chopped chunks as if they were chuck and then add spices turning leftovers or fresh into a stew, a stroganoff or a chunky chilli or curry!
  13. Sous vide it! Wrap it tightly in 3 layers of clingfilm, twist the ends and tie with string to seal it well, drop it into a pan of only just simmering water on a low low heat for an hour or so.
  14. Big Bird - there is no doubt that you could get some warm blood into a man's meat!

However all we seem to be doing is agreeing in a circular manner that more cooking is required and then debating which of several methods we would use?