Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

requirements?

kaasix

Crow
what is the likelihood of being accepted into the int corps if neither of my parents were born in Britain?
My father was born in Kenya but has lived here for most of his life, and my mother was born in Germany but has lived here for over 20 years. My father has a British citizenship however my mother only has settlers status. When I spoke to the AFCO all they could tell me was that it was 50/50 and dependent on my recruiter. Is anyone able to tell me if its actually worth applying for an int corps role or not, due to these circumstances?

combatintman

War Hero
what is the likelihood of being accepted into the int corps if neither of my parents were born in Britain?
My father was born in Kenya but has lived here for most of his life, and my mother was born in Germany but has lived here for over 20 years. My father has a British citizenship however my mother only has settlers status. When I spoke to the AFCO all they could tell me was that it was 50/50 and dependent on my recruiter. Is anyone able to tell me if its actually worth applying for an int corps role or not, due to these circumstances?

It certainly should not be dependent on your recruiter - it should be dependent on the current policy requirements. Unfortunately, I am not up to speed with those but I am sure someone will chip in with more current information.

It certainly should not be dependent on your recruiter - it should be dependent on the current policy requirements. Unfortunately, I am not up to speed with those but I am sure someone will chip in with more current information.
I agree with this, though the mechanics of it all are probably not for ARRSE. Go for it but have another acceptable option in your back pocket!!!

CRmeansCeilingReached

ADC

May also wish to ask this question in the Recruiting forum.

Mate's father was a Polish Hitler Youth after the first annexation, free schooling and dental care, what's there to lose?

Went on as a conscript to track down and 'discipline' deserters from the German army before being captured by the British and put to work on a farm in Hants. Married a local girl long after the war had ended, their first son became my mate and head of Special Branch. He passed his vetting.

What's there to lose?

walrusboy

War Hero
It is not the specific cap badge but the ability to hold the appropriate security clearance that is important. The Int Corps requires a high level of clearance on entry and many factors are considered, but if you are British there should be no obstacle to the Army sponsoring you for clearance. Be aware that recruiters have quotas to meet for hard to fill roles and there's a temptation to 'guide' applicants into these. If you are set on the Int Corps, apply and see where it takes you.

CRmeansCeilingReached

ADC
Be aware that recruiters have quotas to meet for hard to fill roles and there's a temptation to 'guide' applicants into these.

True dat. In 1989, my recruiter tried his arse off to get me to join up as "Gunner Para / Commando" trade. In spite of my going in specifically to join the INT CORPS and having zero interest in artillery.

(I know, I know, but I used to be skinny and fit :) )

walrusboy

War Hero
True dat. In 1989, my recruiter tried his arse off to get me to join up as "Gunner Para / Commando" trade. In spite of my going in specifically to join the INT CORPS and having zero interest in artillery.

(I know, I know, but I used to be skinny and fit :) )
At my last regional recruiting meeting the push was for PARA, officers, RMP and RE Geo Int (an excellent trade which was surprisingly difficult to fill, given the prospect of a degree during service).

Is anyone able to tell me if its actually worth applying for an int corps role or not, due to these circumstances?
If you don’t want to join the Int Corps then it’s not worth applying
If you do want to join the Int Corps then you won’t manage to without applying

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
Just for symmetry, also answered the OP in the other forum. Both my parents were 'resident aliens', neither ever took British nationality. I was born in UK and had some pretty crunchy clearances back in the day with seemingly few issues. The only thing which ever caught me out was that the Wrong Mrs Glad's parents were from NI and I couldn't do a BANNER tour until she was safely consigned to the rear view mirror.

Just for symmetry, also answered the OP in the other forum. Both my parents were 'resident aliens', neither ever took British nationality. I was born in UK and had some pretty crunchy clearances back in the day with seemingly few issues. The only thing which ever caught me out was that the Wrong Mrs Glad's parents were from NI and I couldn't do a BANNER tour until she was safely consigned to the rear view mirror.
Unless her parents were "known" it shouldn't have been an issue. Sounds like that was a bit of a local ruling to me though I'm a late 90's boy WRT Banner.

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
Unless her parents were "known" it shouldn't have been an issue. Sounds like that was a bit of a local ruling to me though I'm a late 90's boy WRT Banner.
It had to do with the specific clearance requirements which were distinctly more rigorous. I quite happily spent my last nine years in the Army using my Russian and German skills in, around and with, NI, but by then I was variously Divorced Glad and Married To The Right Mrs Glad Glad.