Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by Ranger45, Aug 18, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Afternoon, are the entry requirements set in stone or is there a test which you can take to assess your competence for officer training?

2. Regarding what parts? Do you have non-standard educational qualifications?
  3. I have a mixture of GCSE's, an access to He diploma and I completed the first year of my university course before deciding to drop out, uni wasn't for me. I was wondering if there was some sort of academic assessment to see if someone meets the requirements for officer training although they don't hold the a-levels.
  4. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

Presumably you can calculate the number of UCAS points that the Access Dip gave you.

5. Yeh I have the equivalent of 300 ucas points. The thing is though I only have 3 GCSE's all of which are < C and I know the requirements are such that you need 5 GCSE's and the a-levels. That is why I'm asking, because I'm 24 now and GCSE's were such a long time ago, is there any test I can take at the careers office to make up for the GCSE part?
  6. For AOSB I think that you need 5 including maths and english. However, I did it years ago so it may not matter, especially as you have more than enough UCAS points.

Short answer, ring Westbury.

Don't have a chip on your shoulder about being a non-grad, many are.
  7. The academic requirements are simply a filter. The vast majority of officers will exceed the minimum stated requirements. If you can't even meet the minimum, you have got no chance, I'm afraid.
  8. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

Get down to your local FE college and do some night classes in your required GCSEs. You may be able to do some intensive courses if you're pressed for time.
  9. sup rec

sup rec LE Book Reviewer

You require ALIS and UCAS points/ a degree. If you don't have the ALIS points (from GCSE etc) then you are not eligible. If you don't have the UACS points that can be overridden be holding a degree.
  10. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

Get yourself to a AFCO and declare your situation. My suspicion is that you won't be able to apply to be an officer but in your situation it may be possible, with a fair wind. Having said that, if they do let you apply, it wont be an easy process.