Required reading at US military academies

Discussion in 'Multinational HQ' started by Unknown_Quantity, Oct 2, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Unknown_Quantity

Unknown_Quantity War Hero Moderator

I've been talking to a couple of people I work with about this and that and the conversation moved on to what books we liked. From there two of these people said that they liked Tom Clancy for the way it was so close to the truth and how they were used as training material by the Americans. My response was that must be total balls since it's all fiction and required reading lists generally didn't include fiction.

To back up their arguement I was sent the link below, which says...

link

This is a joke right? An international Wah at least? It seems about as useful to training as Zap Brannigans Big Book of War.

2. Believe it or not so is Starship Troopers.

3. msr

msr LE

Well, he manage to predict JSTARS in one of his books with a speeded up video!

msr

4. Dont forget that military academies in the US are the bastard lovechild of Sandhurst and a red-brick, not just officer training establishments. Therefore they'll have to take academic courses of which one option will probably be military fiction or somethiing similar, and for which they will have to read one or more of the Clancy books.

5. http://www.history.army.mil/reference/csalist/csalist.htm

No fiction on these lists, though that is their CoS' list rather than an academy...I have heard that the USMC have the military sci-fi 'Ender's Game' on their list, and I can see why as its a sort of primer on mission command hidden in a story, though you'd probably do better reading a non-fiction text on the subject...

6. The USMC's Commandant's Reading List has Starship Troopers and Ender's Game on the list.

There's also a few other works of fiction: Rifleman Dodd, "Defence of Duffer's Drift," and I *think* "Red Badge of Courage" are on the list.

7. Nothing wrong with that, it’s an excellent book.

8. Unknown_Quantity

Unknown_Quantity War Hero Moderator

I must admit I do find that easier to believe than Tom Clancy, partly because of it being a very good book and partly because I think a skilled instructor could use it as a very effective teaching aid.

9. That's nothing, they use the Qu'ran as bog roll...

Allegedly.

10. Was it re-named for export? I've always known that book as "Death to the French". A much better title don't you think?