Required grade + required recommendation + injury = no promotion?

Afternoon gents,

Long time reader, first time poster here.

Where does the Army stand on discrimination when it comes to injury. If you were to get an annual report that basically says the only reason you are not in the promotion zone is because of injury, is that not discrimination, especially if you have the required grade and recommendation to promote, two years in a row.

I understand that battalions grade their soldiers in a way that they get who they want into jobs, but it seems like a kick in the balls to not promote for something out with your control.

Afternoon gents,

Where does the Army stand on discrimination when it comes to injury. If you were to get an annual report that basically says the only reason you are not in the promotion zone is because of injury, is that not discrimination, especially if you have the required grade and recommendation to promote, two years in a row.

I understand that battalions grade their soldiers in a way that they get who they want into jobs, but it seems like a kick in the balls to not promote for something out with your control.
If you can’t do the job, why should you be put in a position where you can’t do that job.

It’s not really discrimination. It’s practicality.

verticalgyro

MIA
DirtyBAT
Short answer - why would an Army (whose raison d'etre is to close with and kill the enemy) promote soldiers who are unable to do that?

Long answer -
promotion.jpg

It would be a job I am more than capable of carrying out with my grading so its not that.
I would not ever think someone should be in a job they cant actually do.
I am just wondering where the Army stands on it.
I was always told when writing reports that injuries were not to go on them.

verticalgyro

MIA
DirtyBAT
It would be a job I am more than capable of carrying out with my grading so its not that.
Correct, injuries shouldn't go on them but if you don't meet the MES for your CEG you a) shouldn't go to the board and b) shouldn't Substantiate should your MES drop whilst Acting before Substantiating.

The fact that various capbadges (RLC, R.SIGS) chin off the rules because it suits them is neither here nor there.

Other capbadges (REME for example) are stringent on applying the rules.

Looks like your capbadge is compliant with the rules.

Afternoon gents,

Difficult to argue as you’ve been boarded or not sent to the board due to your physical condition. Also, if you can’t pass the next promotion course due to injury you’re just holding everyone else up. You have a case if anything isn’t laid out in policy, but policy can be changed if it is being questioned. Why not look at the Corps for career enhancement. Infanteers tent to piss it as we hush over real soldiers.

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
You would need to look at point b as shown above. If it's a long term injury then it may be a case of you've hit your ceiling.

I knew of others who could promote but didn't because of injury, simple reason being that should everyone go operational all of a sudden, they couldn't and it'd impact on the whole structure.

Also, flip the coin. Is it right an injured soldier gets promoted over someone who's fit and healthy?

You would need to look at point b as shown above. If it's a long term injury then it may be a case of you've hit your ceiling.

I knew of others who could promote but didn't because of injury, simple reason being that should everyone go operational all of a sudden, they couldn't and it'd impact on the whole structure.

Also, flip the coin. Is it right an injured soldier gets promoted over someone who's fit and healthy?

Fair point.

Difficult to argue as you’ve been boarded or not sent to the board due to your physical condition. Also, if you can’t pass the next promotion course due to injury you’re just holding everyone else up. You have a case if anything isn’t laid out in policy, but policy can be changed if it is being questioned. Why not look at the Corps for career enhancement. Infanteers tent to piss it as we hush over real soldiers.

I have another career plan, just wanted to know what the consensus was on this.

verticalgyro

MIA
DirtyBAT
I have another career plan, just wanted to know what the consensus was on this.
The way promotion/injuries etc have been dealt with (at least in the last 5/10 years) is generally above board and fair.

It has to be - after some shocking behaviour in the past (sacking women for being pregnant!), the Army as an employer is compliant with Employment Law - it would be very expensive and foolish were it not.

Having said that, should your injury preclude you completing a full and worthwhile career, there are options - from far left of soldiering on but never promoting , to retrading to another trade with a lower MES all the way to a Med Discharge with pension on the far right.

You really should go to your RCMO and get advice.

Your RCMO should be able to find out if you ran to board and if not, why not.

If your med cat is below promotion requirements you will not have run to board, even if you think you can do the job. To get round this, get upgraded to MFD to prove, medically, you can do the job.

If you did go to board, your RCMO should be able to find out whether you were above or below the quality/quantity line.

You may be above quality but not quantity of your peer group is very competitive.

You may also be below quality, despite getting the recommendations. The number of A- and B+ Brigadiers is breathtaking but the narrative in their reports will be the difference between those that go to 2* and those that don’t.

The way promotion/injuries etc have been dealt with (at least in the last 5/10 years) is generally above board and fair.

It has to be - after some shocking behaviour in the past (sacking women for being pregnant!), the Army as an employer is compliant with Employment Law - it would be very expensive and foolish were it not.

Having said that, should your injury preclude you completing a full and worthwhile career, there are options - from far left of soldiering on but never promoting , to retrading to another trade with a lower MES all the way to a Med Discharge with pension on the far right.

You really should go to your RCMO and get advice.
I have a career plan in place that should,if it works out, lead to a full career despite injury that has the full backing of the CoC, with required recommendations etc.

I just can't help feeling a bit gutted I won't promote before leaving my current battalion.

Your RCMO should be able to find out if you ran to board and if not, why not.

If your med cat is below promotion requirements you will not have run to board, even if you think you can do the job. To get round this, get upgraded to MFD to prove, medically, you can do the job.

If you did go to board, your RCMO should be able to find out whether you were above or below the quality/quantity line.

You may be above quality but not quantity of your peer group is very competitive.

You may also be below quality, despite getting the recommendations. The number of A- and B+ Brigadiers is breathtaking but the narrative in their reports will be the difference between those that go to 2* and those that don’t.
Went to board, RCMO on leave. I'm just waiting on an email from ARCMO to see where I came on board.

I will never get back to MFD due to nature of injury, I can still do non impact but will never be able to TAB.

I've had SJARs kicked back to me by the adminers on the basis of the fact 'you can't refer to medical issues in the SJAR'.

This was despite me doing so in the context of 'X suffered debilitating injuries but showed grit and determination in their recovery'*.

I was told it specifically states in the JSP you can't do this. So at the very least if they have done so, they have breached the JSP - as it was described to me.

This has happened at some point in my last 2 units, both of which were joint with a joint admin section so it is not a single service thing.

*This is for illustrative purposes not verbatim what I wrote - just trying to highlight I was referring to med stuff as a positive not a negative.

Latest Threads