Request moderator delete

Time for a demo I'd say - form a circle around the man - then let them try and remove his medal!

The man who tries to remove that medal will suffer a harsh response from serviceman celebrating on that day. I dont think there is anybody who would remove it.

Where does it specificaly say he's been threatened with arrest?

He now plans to wear all three on Remembrance Sunday. He said: "I want to wear the Pingat Jasa Malaysia medal and I think I am going to on November 11. I don't care if they arrest me."
A Foreign Office spokesman said it was Government policy not to approve non-British medals to be worn. He said: "It is to protect the integrity of the system. If others wore medals not given to them by the British Government, the value of the medals goes down."
Yet no mention of a threat of arrest if he's seen with the Pingat Jasa medal.

(Before I'm flamed, it's the article I'm picking on, not necessarily the right of Mr Follows to wear this medal)

I fully support veterans rights to wear all their medals with pride. They obviously earned them.

However, surely this man's case is not unique? Even following GW1 people recieved medals from the Kuwaiti government but were not allowed to wear em.

That reminds me though, what about those RAF & RN officers wearing russian medals for their part in the rescue of that sub. They were in the papers clearly displaying theirs?

In short my point is we must ask why there are variartions in rules and attitudes. And why this grand old gent is forbidden from wearing his medals? I wonder where the RBL stanbd on this?

Has there been a threat to remove these medals?

There hasn't. In fact, in the last link George has provided, the veteran concerned (not Mr Follows, but a Mr Cooper) states that the MoD has told him that it won't take any action against anyone wearing the medals.

Also, a non-rethorical (and possibly stupid) question - is there anything that actually prevents long-retired veterans from wearing such medals if they so wish?

What action do the MOD think they can actually take?

I am out of the loop now, but even using the most generous interpretation of the most vague and wonderfully broad laws, in these circumstances (a remembrance parade) I cannot see how he can fear "arrest".

There can't be any action - he's a civilian & thus can wear what he wants. As for those still serving, JSP 761 Honours & Awards in the Armed Forces applies, generally requires the Queens permission in order to wear foreign decorations

Oh, and if he wears his medal he will suffer what precisely?!!

Nothing by the looks of it?

OK.....one of the reasons that they want official recognition of the medal is to do with war pensions and routes of compensation. This is a standard "shout" from the veterans, guided frequently by the black arts department of the RBL and the Vets Assoc.

He will not be arrested for wearing the medal, there is nothing in the laws of this country that can be applied to him unless he is impersonating for pecuniary advantage, which he plainly isn't. It's a well crafted press-release which implies that he might be arrested whereas in fact no threat has been made, and it wouldn't happen.

However, bow down to the old sod, he earned the medal, it was granted by a foreign nation, and I seriously doubt that he spent the campaign behind a desk signing memos.

PompeySailor said:
OK.....one of the reasons that they want official recognition of the medal is to do with war pensions and routes of compensation. This is a standard "shout" from the veterans, guided frequently by the black arts department of the RBL and the Vets Assoc.
You are presumably able to quantify this comment and support it with some form of evidence that does not lie with little more than mere speculative assertion!

I would be most interested to hear as a matter of law just how that which you allege is bought about!

I suggest that you cannot!

Iolis said:
PompeySailor said:
You are presumably able to quantify this comment and support it with some form of evidence that does not lie with little more than mere speculative assertion!

I would be most interested to hear as a matter of law just how that which you allege is bought about!

I suggest that you cannot!
I would release the files to you regarding the Arctic Medal, but as you have not applied for them under FOI, I won't. You could, if you applied using the right terminology, also see the letters of support from the RBL and the Vets Assoc, and the ministerial letters regarding the reasons underlying the official recognition of medals when compared to pensions and disability applications. If you want to write to us at the following address, then you can see for yourself, but remember to do it under FOI:

Office of the Naval Secretary
Honours and Awards
West Battery
Whale Island
Portsmouth
PO2 8BY

As for your final couple of paragraphs, they don't make a lot of sense, so I will ignore them. Did you know that you can finish a sentence without an exclamation mark?!

It's your British freedom to wear what medals you have qualified for,even if they were awarded by other nations eg Kuwait,Saudi,Oman etc etc so why not this one?