Request for your help - Poppy Appeal in the City of London

Folks, an ex Grenadier officer has taken it upon himself to organise a full on collection for the Poppy Appeal, on Tuesday 4th November.

His email below is self-explanatory - if any of the London ARSSE community can assist, PM me with a real email and I will forward your details on.

T23

Text reads:

I know that in the economic climate - time is short for all of us, but it is that time of year, when I am writing to you all to ask for a little of your time in assisting this year's Royal British Legion Poppy Campaign.

This year with the support of 'Poppy Man' (outside Lloyds), the Mobile Poppy Unit (outside St Paul's), a number of serving soldiers and a Corps of Drums - we are planning to massively raise the profile of the Poppy Campaign around the City on Tuesday 4th November.

We really need need your support (and that of your military colleagues) to come and collect for the Poppy Appeal at Train and Tube Stations during 'rush hour' (07.30 - 09.00 and 17.00 - 18.30) and to come and support The Corps of Drums over lunchtime in Leadenall Market (and maybe other locations). We have permission to collect over rush hour at the following locations:

London Bridge Train
Liverpool Street Tube & Train
Bank
Monument
Mansion House
St Paul's
Chancery Lane
Canon Street Train
Blackfriars Tube
Tower Hill
Fenchurch Street Train
Old Street
Barbican
Farringdon
Aldgate
Angel
Moorgate
Please could you forward this email to your colleagues and anyone else that you think would like to help out and then let me know which location you could help out at. Clearly, if you can arrange yourselves into groups of collectors, that would make my job much easier. We are hoping to be able to allocate serving soldiers to each location who will work with you to generate more interest and make a greater impact.

Once I have feel for numbers, I will send out an administrative email to confirm details of where to pick up collection boxes, poppies etc.

Many thanks in advance for your support

I'll check my diary, put me down provisionally for London Bridge, will let you know for sure on Thursday evening.

I'm in. Feel free to drop me a PM confirming time / location et al.

I booked my spot last week :)

i'm up for helping anywhere you need cover, pm sent

Didnt see this until too late but would be keen to support - am away tomorrow for ten days though :(

Can i put my name down for a few slots for next year?

F

fozzy

tich23 said:
I gather from Ben, the organiser, that it went brilliantly and he was very grateful to all ARRSE-rs who tipped up. Thanks to all
Don't want to steal any of Ben's thunder, but it did go very well indeed.

I played a small part in tin rattling at one of the Stations. I was humbled by the generosity of folk. My very first donation was from a homeless person who put a slack handful of change in the tin.

Over the next hour or so, folk were putting fivers, tenners and even a twenty - but to my untutored eye, the average donation seemed to be in the order of a couple of quid. All this at a time when folk are fearful for their jobs and the tough times coming. The local British Legion folk who have traditionally staked out that station were brilliant and very, very supportive.

I was proud to have done my bit and I will deffo be up for it next year. Well done Ben.

(It was also a great way to letch at the eye candy - but that is a discussion best for the NAFFI bar I think!)

If you were assisting and haven't had an email from Ben and were assisting, please see below

"I wanted to thank everybody for their time and generous support in making yesterday's City Poppy Day such a success. We had a fantastic turn out of over 100 supporters during the day and the uniformed support from the Micks, Argyll's and Fusiliers was hugely welcome. A special mention has to go to the Piper and the Flaughtists for their excellent performances over lunchtime in Leadenall Market.

We filled 9 buckets and 68 tins, which is an absolutely brilliant result. It will be a few days before the money is counted, but I am hopeful that it will be in the region of £20,000 - which is a staggering amount for 3 hours work!

I am sorry for the delay in getting the poppies to the further away tube stations in the morning - we will be taking steps to rectify this for next year.

If anyone is interested in becoming more involved for next year, please let me know. In essence we will be looking for the Station OCs to take full control of their locations and to continue adding to their team of volunteers.

Thank you to you all

All the best

Ben"

Wondered what was going on - there were some very dashing chaps all gonged up around Tower Hill. Wish I'd known about it in advance & I would have volunteered too.

One of the lads was wearing a covert coat and had a gong with EU stars suspended from a blue & yellow ribbon - I would've stopped and asked what it was but was in a rush for a train...

PM'd you.
I saw a poppy seller the other day,he was approached by a Pakistani taxi driver and asked what was going on. He didnt have a clue what it was about. The poppy chap even said at one point 'in the 40s,world war 2,when the Germans tried to take over the world?' The response was 'oh,ive never heard of that,many survive?'. I couldnt believe it, the taxi driver spoke perfectly good english too so i'd have to put it down to stupidity. He got quite a shock when told the Germans only wanted people with blonde hair and blue eyes. Completely oblivious to everthing that had happened!

Latest Threads