Request for help - Pay Scales in 1950 (Infantry)

Gents/Ladies

We are doing a bit of research for the regimental museum and one thing we have not got is a list or even some detail of what our soldiers in the Seaforths would have been paid. Can't find a single pay book so we are snookered.

Does any kind person out there have a list or know where we can find such? Ideally without having to go through all the rigamarole of contacting MoD Records and Archives - last time it took six months and they claimed only to have Julius Caeser's NoK details...

Thanks in advance.

It might be worth trying the AGC Museum at Worthy Down. Not sure if the RAPC Museum still exists or has been incorporated into the aforementioned AGC Museum - but they should be able to point you in the right direction.

Thanks. Didn't think that the RAPC might still be going!

Cheers!

Cabarfeidh said:
Gents/Ladies

We are doing a bit of research for the regimental museum and one thing we have not got is a list or even some detail of what our soldiers in the Seaforths would have been paid. Can't find a single pay book so we are snookered.

Does any kind person out there have a list or know where we can find such? Ideally without having to go through all the rigamarole of contacting MoD Records and Archives - last time it took six months and they claimed only to have Julius Caeser's NoK details...

Thanks in advance.
Cabarfeidh,

I am researching our historical pay at the moment, and I recently visited the Prince Consort Library in Aldershot. They didn't have exactly what I wanted but I noticed, whilst reviewing what they had, the pay reports from something like the "National Prices and Income Board" for the early to mid 1960s. As far as I could see, they were published at two year intervals, but I didn't take much notice as that period is too early for my purposes. The current series of Armed Forces' Pay Review Boards started in 1972 - and the major shake up in military pay appears to have been in 1969.

I also browsed through Soldier magazine for the mid-60s but I didn't notice any pay scales.

I would expect the MOD Library in London to have all the pay reports - famous last words!

Litotes

I KNEW you guys would be the fount of all knowledge! Many thanks - now phoning, emailing and setting up a visit down South for 16th December!