Request for Assistance.

Discussion in 'The Science Forum' started by MrShanklysboots, Mar 3, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. My 11 year old has a real interest in Science, Physics in particular. He -for instance- had a long chat with me last night during a long car journey about what was about before the Big Bang and, in his eleven year old way, he expressed the opinion that if we live in an expanding universe then it was probably a previous universe collapsing in on itself that caused the infinitesimal point of matter leading to the Big Bang. It may not be scientifically accurate but it does show that he is thinking deeply about these kind of things

Now, I make no claims for him to be an Einstein level genius here but he does have a genuinely enquiring mind. My initial thought is to introduce him to that wonderful book "A short history of nearly everything" but I would like to spend some time with him as he makes his enquiries.

So, in short are there any really interactive websites we can visit and - bearing in mind that we live in West Wales - what are the really good museums that we can base a weekend around etc?

Thanks in anticipation.

2. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

what do the BBC and OU have to offer?

3. InTech at Winchester, Science Museum inc. Wroughton (near Swindon).

Websites - I am sure there are more than you could dream of !

4. My concern is lashing stuff at him that puts him off. Plus, because I live in a hobbit hole anything massively interactive simply doesn't work due to terrible broadband speed.
    I know there is a Sky at night app that I plan to have a play with as he seems to like knowing what he's looking at, I was thinking more of something that engages, informs and entertains an eleven year old. I could lash principia Mathematica in the original Latin at him but I doubt he'd stick at it.

Learning by stealth. That'll learn him. :)

5. New Scientist - without taking a subscription even the free articles are thought provoking and informative and cover a wide variety of subjects - his ideas on the Big Bang I believe is probably correct (ish)

6. Steven Hawking.......A Brief History of Time. Blew my mind but an excellent book!!

7. Stellarium. Accurately simulates the night sky as seen from any location on the planet, in real time. Can be sped up, to show the movements of the stars and constellations around the pole star (or equivalent in the southern hemisphere), or set to any period in time. Fascinating software... and its free[/]

Stellarium

8. Invest in a telescope and look for your nearest Astronomical society they have talks and outings for kids (star camps). If youve got sky or virgin goto the documentary channels there is usually loads of programs on there that discuss this, or even on youtube.
    Most kids like the interactive sides of science, proper hands on is how many of them learn best. Even a good pair of bino`s is better than a cheap telescope.

9. Trust your child's mind.

The only reason he would ever lost interest is because of outside influence by other kids, Get him loads of books, with lots of photographs about many aspects of science. (Not just physics) let him read the books and connect the dots between all of the different sciences, I assure you when he links them his passion for science will only grow stronger.

Watch lots of fictional sci-fi movies with him (don't restrict him from 15-18's make sure you increase his mental maturity) when he asks what the different scientific phrases mean a simple google search with him will do the trick. Youtube videos on interesting things like Hovering magnets (maybe buy a hovering magnet ornament stand and other physics gagets) Take him to as many different kinds of science museum as you can (i can't name any in your area) Buy him geodes and other crystalline and beautiful rocks and explain to him how they are made (google search if you don't know)