Republican's find the poppy offensive..

F*cking winging scum! Since the peace process began,Republicans have gotten their own way with just about everything over here.Maybe the idiot Thompson should read up on the history of Irish regiments!

Belfast Media | News | Cops asked to stop wearing poppies

Cops asked to stop wearing poppies
Andersonstown News Thursday 25th of October 2010
By Ciara Quinn

A victims’ groups that represents the relatives of people who were murdered by the British army and RUC say that police officers should not be wearing poppies in West Belfast.

The call comes after PSNI officers were seen wearing poppies here last week – a full two weeks before the official launch of this year’s Poppy Appeal on October 29.

Angry parents contacted the Andersonstown News after PSNI officers were seen to be wearing the politically divisive symbol while on traffic duty outside an Andersonstown primary school – on October 15.

Since then the Andersonstown News has received several phone calls about other PSNI officers wearing poppies while patrolling West Belfast.

This has prompted the West Belfast-based Relatives For Justice group to call on the PSNI to cease wearing the poppy in West Belfast where hundreds of people were victims of British army and RUC violence.

The poppy is traditionally worn in Britain to remember people from the armed services who have died during war.

Relatives for Justice (RFJ) Director Mark Thompson says while it is important to exercise choice and free expression as fundamental rights, RFJ object to publicly-funded bodies that permit the wearing of symbols by their employees which are politically offensive.

“The PSNI is a publicly funded body that purports to serve the entire community,” said Mark.

“The wearing of the poppy flies in the face of that claim. The poppy is politically antagonistic and the PSNI Chief Constable is well aware of this.

“In the absence of a solution on this publicly contentious issue there has been absolutely no attempt by the PSNI to exercise any sense of respect for a community that holds a very different view to November 11 and which sees the wearing of poppies in their areas as insensitive.

“This is especially so given that the West Belfast community has suffered disproportionately at the hands of these very same British military organisations being remembered.”

Mark added that some PSNI members were wearing poppies in predominantly nationalist areas to make a political point “just as their predecessors in the RUC, UDR/RIR and B-Specials did”.

“In the main this is viewed, rightly or wrongly, as making a political point,” said Mark.

“That opportunity needs to be removed in that new legislation is required to address this loophole within public bodies and the workplace more generally regarding flags and emblems.

“'We are aware that local representatives who sit on the Policing Board have continually raised the matter and are working hard to address this.

“The issue has a sense of Groundhog Day in that year after year RFJ are asked for comment and to express the views of our membership. In the wider public interest a moratorium is now required.

“The current employment legislation permitting the wearing of poppies needs to be immediately reviewed and brought into line with the more recent political developments in which an overall consensus is required.

“It is clear that no consensus exists on emblems that are clearly political in nature. Possibly a draft member’s bill within the Assembly could be the way forward.

“In the meantime [PSNI Chief Constable] Matt Baggott should seek to exercise his sense of civic responsibility by ensuring that his officers refrain from wearing poppies in communities which view the poppy differently.”

A spokesperson for the PSNI confirmed that there are no “firm rules” as to the period of time a poppy can be worn, but added that “the poppy can be worn throughout the year as symbol of respect”.

Also Metro/Ulsterbus have been approached and asked that their drivers no longer wear a help for heroes band or the RIR band as its offensive to the Nationalist community.

You couldn't make it up, so much for a shared society.

As a nationalist I must admit I did not wear a poppy until I had a nice chat with someone over a few sherberts in my local TAC. Since then I have continued to wear at the appropriate time though I am aware that here in NI it is seen as by a lot as a Protestant/Unionist thing to do.

What has struck this year is that I do not seem to see it worn as much and in my place of work, I'm currently the only one wearing one out of a possible 58 persons.

Getting back on the thread I was out for a recent meal with some family members who are not keen on the poppy or anything really to do with the army, and was asked by my brother "did I have to wear that?" to which I replied yes I did and I choose to. Seems strange that he keeps up this animosity whilst his sons who are aware of my TA activity have never said anything.

When it comes to Easter he will be wearing an Easter lily but I'm sure he would take offence if I asked the same of him then!

Slightly OT, but I have just been to the Health Centre in my "staunchly loyalist" hometown. Aside from me, NOT ONE FUCKING PERSON had a poppy in. Plenty of mouth-breathing doleys with Rangers tops, mind.

BiscuitsAB

LE
The Poppy is a symbol of the great war and was carried over into WWII and beyond. The sad truth is that as the few become fewer, the mouth breathers of all political and religious persuasions will forget.( Lets face it some of them have already forgotten how to do the basics like wash.)

No doubt that the PSNI will bow down to this too... Another little victory for Jezza and crew.

'A victims’ groups that represents the relatives of people who were murdered by the British army and RUC...'

No sectarian agenda there then. Andytown being the hotbed of reason and calm that murdered two signallers in an incident that disgusted even hardened republicans is, no doubt, well qualified to talk about murder.

Slightly OT, but I have just been to the Health Centre in my "staunchly loyalist" hometown. Aside from me, NOT ONE FUCKING PERSON had a poppy in. Plenty of mouth-breathing doleys with Rangers tops, mind.
I don't mean to be a cnut but anytime I'm near a protestant area, it seems 1 in 3 people are wearing a Rangers top.. I wear my poppy with pride because I remember the Irish Regiments who died during the war, it's seen as a Protestant thing which just proves that most of the Nationalists know fcuk all about their history and just read what's in the local newspapers..

Tell 'em to fcuk off.

Perhaps we should have a 'Howes and Wood' wrist band, see if they chunter about that.....

I don't mean to be a cnut but anytime I'm near a protestant area, it seems 1 in 3 people are wearing a Rangers top.. I wear my poppy with pride because I remember the Irish Regiments who died during the war, it's seen as a Protestant thing which just proves that most of the Nationalists know fcuk all about their history and just read what's in the local newspapers..
You miss my point. The grunting mongs to which I refer would be the ones shouting loudest about "Queen and Country and Looyyylism", but yet won't stick a few quid in a Poppy Appeal box, lest it deprive them of a bottle of Frosty Jacks.

You miss my point. The grunting mongs to which I refer would be the ones shouting loudest about "Queen and Country and Looyyylism", but yet won't stick a few quid in a Poppy Appeal box, lest it deprive them of a bottle of Frosty Jacks.
Sorry SD, I know exactly what you mean because you get it on this side too. My mate lives in a very Protestant area of Lurgan and is just back from Afghan and he was pissed off because guys were trying to compare the UVF of WW1 to nowadays UVF..

Why am I missing all these points :p I thought you were talking about the paper, I'm pretty sure it is to read the paper, it couldn't possibly be because of the picture of Gerry on the front every week? @.@
You've missed your vocation mate. You should go for a job with the green slime.

I meant that the mongs can't fcuking read!

You've missed your vocation mate. You should go for a job with the green slime.

I meant that the mongs can't fcuking read!
Ah, no way.. Don't worry about the green slime, they've knocked me back already, going 42 Engineers instead ;-) lol They do have a text in service were the language is translated for those who can't read can have some 'dose prods wering dose poppy tings again is doin ma hed in' reading..

It's a load of balls and I've heard today of some Sports Direct shops in Belfast refusing to serve customers wearing Poppies.

Sometimes I'm ashamed to say I'm from N.Ireland......