Republic or Monarchy

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by mortars2cg, Jan 26, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Today is Australia Day and the old Republic v Monarchy debate has reared it`s head.

Is it time to abolish the Monarchy and move on or leave things well alone.
  2. I rather hope it remains Monarchy. This will give me a choice of country in which to live when politicians and supposed servants of The Crown in the UK decide it will be right and proper for me to make allegiance to some jumped up foreigner or, worse, some British traitor in Brussels.
  3. It's an interesting question but there's still a general appreciation of many things monarchical in Oz , surely?
  4. It's a decision for the Australians. It was quoted last time that a referendum was held, that the reason to maintain the status quo was because they instinctively did not trust a fellow Aussie to be head of state. [It was founded on a bunch of recidivist crooks anyway] Most states that have gone down the Republican route have had bigger problems than before change. [Ungrateful Barsterds]
  5. One for the Ockers to decide, though I'm sure that eventually they will go Republic.
  6. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

I'd be very pleased if the Aussies kept the Monarchy as head of state, and thus remained a fully-fledged and integral part of the Commonwealth/British global nation.

As already noted, everywhere that's become a republic has not benefited from the arrangement.

It's the same old argument. It is naked ambition and greed that gets one the position of president, not love for one's country and its people.

I don't see this about being the only way for Australia to be a mature state is to severe such ties with Britain and become a republic. That is not the marker for a 'mature' and free state. Australia is that already, and a 'president' will not make it more so.

Australia and Britain share many, many common bonds, and it would seem these days that Australia has become, like the Falklands, a haven for the protection and continuence of British values and customs where they are being lost in Britain.

Both our countries have far more to gain from our links and an active constitutional partnership than severing that which ties us, just so that one person can call himself 'President' and lord it around as if he or she were themselves 'royalty'.
  7. This was debated last week on R4 in the light of HRH Prince William's visit. The BBC fielded Kathy Lette, chick lit author, bubly social character and essential lightweight versus some elderly gentleman - a professor - for the royalist camp. His fact-based and reasoned arguments for the continuing relationship were faced by argumentum ad absurdiam on Lette's part and some coarse references to the POW's "tampon" phone calls.

Her gushing liberal views were somewhat undermined by the interviews immediately prior to the debate with young Australians of a variety of non-UK backgrounds. Somehow I feel a person who chooses to live in London whilst bigging up Aussie republicanism is ever so slightly devalued as a testimony?
  8. udipur

udipur LE Book Reviewer

Married an Aussie myself. Bit of a rampant republican, laughs at me when I defend the monarchy, refuses to rise when I tell her to bugger orf about my country as at least our natives aren't living in feral tribes, drinking themselves into pointless stupors and generally proving an embarrassment to one and all... oh yeah...

Moving on hastily, I think Australia is a cracking place and they could now teach us a thing or two (stand by for nationalist furore). They are a young country with a hell of a culture which unites them like few other nations.

Just toddle along to the dawn parade on Anzac day and you might be as amazed as I was by the volume of people and their ages. This means something to them and they support it. They are actively taught pride in their nation and they don't throw the doors open to any old Tom, Dick and Bruce who wants to come in. Their economy is in fine fettle and they kept their powder dry in the financial sector, thereby protecting their back end from this nasty recession. Yes, the Chinese are their biggest customer, but they know this as well as anyone and always put something away, rather than our idiots who spend more than they have.

If they want to be a republic, then they deserve it. It's up to them and I'm sure they will succeed.

But if the wife gets to hear about it, well, this is an anonymous forum, right?
  9. I've always thought of Australia, Canada and NZ as members of the same group. It would be a shame if they were to become a republic, though I'm sure it will become fashionable enough at some point for somebody to get themselves elected on it.
  10. I gather HM The Queen has said words to the effect: 'The people of Australia will decide'.

I very hope that the said people of Australia realise that if they go down the 'republican road' then they may end up with something like T. Bliar as Head of State and, too vomit inducing to contemplate, something like the 'Freeby Queen' herself Cherry Bliar as First Woman!
  11. Or, god forbid, perhaps something like Fergie further downstream as Head of State.
  12. Why not do what Canada does?

Ignore the monarchy until you need it to show that you're different from Americans..Then trot them out for a walkabout to boost tourism a bit..
  13. Speaking as a sandal-wearing, bearded Liberal Guardian-reader, I think there are excellent reasons for any country to maintain the constitutionally-distinct roles of head-of-state and head-of-government in separate persons. If the Aussies want to create a new republican head-of-state post, fine, it's up to them. I think it would be a complete waste of time, money and effort when there is a perfectly good one already in existence, but it is theor own time, money and effort to waste.

All the best,

14. I think the Aussies have done pretty good so far,they`ve certainly stood by us in times of need,.

I don`t know what would be gained if they abolished the Monarchy.

In a simplistic world I would like to see the U.K forge stonger ties with the major Commenwealth countries and distance it self from the E.U.
  15. Monarchy for me and would like to pick and choose who we should have within the commonwealth !

It's about time we binned some of the hangers on !