Reprieve UK: Danny Fitzsimons and Joshua French

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Aspidistra_Comstock, Dec 8, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just out of curiosity, what if the law of the land in question clearly establishes a provision for the death penalty and a fair trial finds the accused guilty of a capital crime? How does that square with "saving lives" IYO?

I'm always interested in knowing who's asking me to climb in bed with them.

2. Both sub judice so can't really comment on whether they are guilty or not. Is Reprive's gripe that they are facing the death penalty or that they are innocent? Like tawahi not much to add. Being an ex-soldier shouldn't give you a Get Out of Jail Free card for future crimes.

whf

3. Edited. Tut-tut PG :)

Whilst I wouldn't expect anyone here to comment specifically on the cases , what with all the journos circling like hawks, it could lead to an interesting debate?

4. I've rarely seen two cases more dissimilar, in every detail. The only connecting factor is that they were both in the Army at one time in their lives and in one case that has absolutely no relevance whatsoever.

5. Not after quotes, I just hadn't seen these cases mentioned so far. If this how you react when someone is trying to be helpful I'd hate to be around when they piss you off. Thanks for the welcome...

6. Toughen up Princess, it's a military-orientated forum, and the responses are likely to be robust. So pick your dummy up , and contribute your feelings on this?

7. I got into a slinger with someone on here about Danny, it wasnt about me defending him, I wouldnt f*cking dream of attempting to justify what he did especially not after spending nights hammered myself, tanked up on spirits in both countries whilst armed, it was more about waiting out until the details had come through, its evident he has done a naughty now its all a bit more clear.

I dont think he should swing for murdering the 2 guys (Im not even biased to the fact one was ex Royal), he wouldnt swing here if it had been in a bar in Hounslow, therefore he shouldnt swing just because the shaky and notoriously corrupt legal system of a country that is barely on its knees never mind its feet says he should, which for me would be in defference to its legal system wanting to exact even more pressure and impact on operators than it already has.

I honestly dont know whether he should come home, my personal jury is out on that, it would be pretty unpalatable to think that he could spend 16/17 years in nick pretty languidly then pick up his life again. The thought of him lasting more than a year in an Iraqi nick is also questionable, without 24 hour seg he would be meat, simple as..Its a no win for old Danny boy at the minute and for me its the trickiest thing Ive had in recent times to think about and consider.

8. "…Reprieve’s current casework involves representing 33 prisoners in the US prison at Guantánamo Bay, working on behalf of prisoners facing the death penalty, and conducting ongoing investigations into the rendition and the secret detention of ‘ghost prisoners’ in the so-called ‘war on terror.’…"

Ah, so you take on the cases of terrorists too…

Okele dokely. :roll:

9. Are they terrorists? Has there been a trial to determine they are already then?

Why not think before opening your maw Oil Slick?

Reni. Blinding post. Thank you.

10. Yeah, sure, they were all 'tourists' on sightseeing trips in Afghanistan with TaliTours like our old friend Binyamin Muhammed… :roll:

11. Has there been a trial where they have been pronounced guilty of terrorist acts or not.

12. Couldn't much care if there has been or not, you get picked up on the battlefield in the other lots camps you're guilty in my books…

Or do you really buy Binyamin Mo's story he was just on a sightseeing trip?

13. Porridge_gun

Porridge_gun LE Good Egg (charities)

Reni, I take on board what you say about him not swinging here.... But

He isn't here, and the crime wasn't committed here. If I murder someone in various states of the US I will be gassed, electrocuted, shot by firing squad of injected with a cocktail of death. Why should Iraq be any different. After all we have pulled out so we must be relatively happy that law and order is in place otherwise we've left a job half done.

He was happy to take the high wages for working in harsh surroundings, now the the law of that land has been broken, and if he is proven guilty then he abides by the sentence of that law.

If he can't take the heat etc.......