Reports of US Trps in Afghan Patrolling with No Round in Wpn

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by jumpinjarhead, May 20, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

2. Seems fair and sensible to me.

3. Really? I don't see the problem with being made ready whilst out and about.

4. Me neither!!

5. What is your view on the concept of an inherent human right of self defense?

6. Seems you don't understand threat levels, either of you.

7. Which bit?
    Not having the weapon made ready or complaining about the restriction?

8. Not having the weapon made ready, it can't be justified in all circumstances.

9. Feel free to explain then.................

I always had a round up the spout when I went outside the wire.

10. For military forces in current ops beyond patrol base perimeters in Afghanistan what circumstances are you referring to?

11. And who makes a decision on the threat level?

I've worked with somesuch units, and I wouldn't trust a few of them to tie their own laces.

If someone told you it was safe to cross the road when the little man is Red, would you believe them?

12. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Giving weapons to RMP cannot be justified in all circumstances, but nevertheless......

13. I have no opinion on it, I have never been and never will be in Afghanistan so I have little right to pass comment.
    However I got the impression from the article that the issue is that there are occasions when having the weapon made ready is prudent but soldiers are restricted from doing so?
    Surely the decision should be made locally and according to threat rather than a policy imposed from a distance?

14. chrisg46

chrisg46 LE Book Reviewer

The highlighted bit above sounds like lunacy to me, but i know in Iraq 2005, we routinely went out without a round in the chamber. It was up to us to decide on how to escalate the situation etc.

15. Some PBs have a very high threat level, those in Sangin for instance others do not.

On a patrol the point is at higher threat than the third fourth or fifth guy in line, their states of readiness should reflect this. Although in high threat areas all should carry cocked weapons.

It takes less than a second to cock a weapon and a well trained soldier will achieve that without thinking. It would be interesting to see the level of negligent discharges and injuries caused by p1ss poor soldiers and over readied weapons.

Are you suggesting that the storeman buried in the back of a truck in the middle of a twenty vehicle convoy should always be at condition 1?