Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reports of massacre of protesters in Lagos

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
It would probably require quite a bit of dredging and massive infrastructure work for anything other than lighters.

Plus, it's on the border of the Ijaws and Istekiris which can sometimes lead to issues:

I presume from the 'sometimes' that you're some sort of comedian... :wink:

A friend of mine served out there and their boat, taking them out to the rig, was brassed up by the MEND gang one day, because someone had the temerity to tell them to fuck off. It got so bad that the lads would wear the cheapest watch and have a few sacrificial dollars on hand, they were held up so often.

NSP

LE
A friend of mine served out there and their boat, taking them out to the rig, was brassed up by the MEND gang one day, because someone had the temerity to tell them to **** off. It got so bad that the lads would wear the cheapest watch and have a few sacrificial dollars on hand, they were held up so often.
That was our advice - put your cards and a bit of travelling cash and bribe money between your arch and the sole of your shoe, have a few coins in your pocket and leave anything you want to keep at home. Buy a cheap burner 'phone for in-transit comms and put it on expenses.

Oh, and the pass phrase for the agent's driver is... WTAF? No, really: it's like Bond and Wade in Golden Eye: "In London April's a Spring month."

Gang-bangers, MEND, etc. will lift a driver, nick his logo'd polo shirt and take the minibus then collect us and take us for ransom, hence the spycraft so there's a challenge/response system in play. Strangely, I've not heard of an instance where the naughty ones thought to extract the pass phrase from the driver. We had, though, so there was a duress response, too. From what I picked up down there the jelly bastards would have coughed that it was the wrong answer if they'd given it over, though.

Last edited:
Lagos is always on a knife edge.
It takes very little for major violence to kick off.
(During the 98 World Cup, there were powercuts during one of Nigeria's games.
Mobs went to the local power authority, and torched the building.)
Oh, and 'Lekki' is 'upmarket' inasmuch as the potholes are filled in annually.

It's like setting fire to trains, carriages and railway stations because you feel the service delivered is not up to scratch and torching the bloody lot will be sure to improve the situation.

No logical disconnect there at all, no siree...

So...early/mid-90’s a delegation from NYPD is invited to Nigeria since at the time we (NYPD) were drastically reducing crime. So said delegation goes out with the Nigerian Police to a disturbance that is turning into a riot. Police form up in a line, one literally reads the riot act (as I’m told by my friend who was there) to the crowd. When the crowd doesn’t disburse a truck load of Nigerian Police/Army pulls up and they jump out and take positions in front of the first line. My friend notices they all have rifles (I showed him a pic of That RIFLE but he says it looked more like a G3 which I guess makes sense because we all know the crowd would have been gone,....... I digress) so asks what’s going on, a senior Nigerian Police Chief says “Oh we shoot them now”. My friend thinks he’s joking but then quickly realizes he is not and says “You can’t do that !”. The Nigerian Police Chief, without skipping a beat replies “Maybe in YOUR country YOU can’t but WE do it here all the time!”. The delegation from NYPD quickly went back to the U.S. after that !

NYPD feeling a bit queasy after a dose of reality?

Mufulira

War Hero
Despite the expensive look, they tend not to be attached to things like sewers.

Also, I will find it hard to forgive you for the flashback smell of indelible tropical damp that is the universal background odour of even the finest looking properties in that part of the world if there is fabric anywhere in the building.

At least they've swept up the daily crop of dead cockroaches. :)
The required high wall not installed around property plus razor wire or electric 'stay-away' on top

to my surprise people i know who live very very comfortable lives are tweeting and posting on instagram pictures saying "first black people suffer from police brutality in the US and UK and now this" acting as if what is happening in Nigeria is the same as the one black person wrongfully killed in the US is the same as massacres in Nigeria at the hands of police

Think about it. How else are they going to blame honkie, other than by ommission of facts?

Apparently it's all the colonial oppressors' (and their cartographers) fault.

'The Prime Minister of Great Britain, Boris Johnson has a choice either to make history or follow the dehumanizing history of his forebears for lumping Northern Nigeria and Southern Nigeria Protectorate together, against the people’s volition in a forceful Almagamtion in 1914 by Lord Frederick Lugard. Devoid of cathartic memories, the solemn event marked the divorce of the union from the very beginning.

'Boris Johnson would be doing so either by reversing the travesty of history – should I say the tragedy of history – choreographed by his progeny who colonised and forcibly coerced the people into a nation without identities or solidarized with the people in their current quest to extricate themselves from the shackles and manacles of Northern domination.

'By siding with the #EndNigeria protests tweaking globally, it’s important that the United Kingdom’s Prime Minister, the Queen of England and the entire country leadership add their voices to that of a traumatized Nigerian generation of youths calling for an end to the marriage of convenient contracted by the British Colonial Masters.

'Boris Johnson would be healing the wounds consciously and peniciously inflicted on the dehumanized people occupying a troubled space in order to avert the coming anarchy. The Prime Minister mustn’t be ignorant of the fact that the country he’s presiding over now once played an ignoble role by viciously hobbling together diverse cultures; traditional ethos, religions and their ancillary totems, togues without similitude in life style and social heritage or orientation.'

Apparently it's all the colonial oppressors' (and their cartographers) fault.

'The Prime Minister of Great Britain, Boris Johnson has a choice either to make history or follow the dehumanizing history of his forebears for lumping Northern Nigeria and Southern Nigeria Protectorate together, against the people’s volition in a forceful Almagamtion in 1914 by Lord Frederick Lugard. Devoid of cathartic memories, the solemn event marked the divorce of the union from the very beginning.

'Boris Johnson would be doing so either by reversing the travesty of history – should I say the tragedy of history – choreographed by his progeny who colonised and forcibly coerced the people into a nation without identities or solidarized with the people in their current quest to extricate themselves from the shackles and manacles of Northern domination.

'By siding with the #EndNigeria protests tweaking globally, it’s important that the United Kingdom’s Prime Minister, the Queen of England and the entire country leadership add their voices to that of a traumatized Nigerian generation of youths calling for an end to the marriage of convenient contracted by the British Colonial Masters.

'Boris Johnson would be healing the wounds consciously and peniciously inflicted on the dehumanized people occupying a troubled space in order to avert the coming anarchy. The Prime Minister mustn’t be ignorant of the fact that the country he’s presiding over now once played an ignoble role by viciously hobbling together diverse cultures; traditional ethos, religions and their ancillary totems, togues without similitude in life style and social heritage or orientation.'

To be fair, there were a fair few European rulers (of the ruler, wood, 12” variety) used by a few European rulers* to divvy up the ‘Dark Continent’. Several countries ended up with odd boundaries (Gambia/Senegal) or with muslim northern bits (Senegal/Mali/Sudan) and Christian southern bits.

Although the pro-south bias leaking through this article wouldn’t have anything to do with the fact that the oil is in the south? No, of course not.

*swidt?

To be fair, there were a fair few European rulers (of the ruler, wood, 12” variety) used by a few European rulers* to divvy up the ‘Dark Continent’. Several countries ended up with odd boundaries (Gambia/Senegal) or with muslim northern bits (Senegal/Mali/Sudan) and Christian southern bits.
Yep, far too many straight lines on borders, both in Africa and the Middle East, which took no account of geography or demography.

Although the point about borders, rulers and the like is fair enough, the author does rather miss the ‘no (overt)) interference in the internal affairs of another state’ bit of the rules about international affairs. It’d give - say - Russia the green light to openly call for Scottish independence; for the Chinese to publicly advocate the incorporation of Kashmir into Pakistan, or for the UK to overtly support the Ural Democratic Foundation.

And I daresay that if Boris did as demanded, there’d be voices from both sides of the End Nigeria debate lambasting the former colony for interfering...

Much of the heavy lifting in recovering the girls, and more besides, has been done by a pack of middle aged, white, South African mercs. I'm trying to understand why the story hasn't had more coverage....

For all it's faults and despite its reputation on Arrse, this is why I check into the Guardian on a regular basis:

Doesn't fit the white male particularly saffers bad narrative

Latest Threads