Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reports of massacre of protesters in Lagos

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
Actually you know what? The mods should just take this to the pooh-pooh thread.

Clearly no one is in the least bit interested in discussing the current political and security issues in Nigeria. The resident Africa experts merely wish to discuss potholes and the state of plumbing in Nigerian houses.

I was wrong to think anyone could get any insight from them regarding the players, the issues or the likely consequences with regard to an important nation in the region. Seems we just want to laugh at black people and their stupid ways.

Take it down mods, it's beyond saving.

If you bothered to read the thread you could deduce:

1. Southern Nigeria is strongly tribal/client-based with a long history of extreme violence from state operatives (and pretty much everyone else).
  2. The system works by those at the top having money and power to keep their client base happy therefore you have in-built resistance to any reform along good governance principles which threaten that - which probably describes everything you could meaningfully do.
  3. In Nigerian terms this event was essentially business as usual, therefore it is very unlikely to have profound consequences. Government supporters will remain government supporters, anti-government protestors will remain anti-government and those at the top will continue to take turns.
  4. It is possible that some sort of Saro-Wiwa effect might be achieved if the protestors could somehow tap into the BLM zeitgeist in the west but extreme black on black violence runs counter to BLM's messaging so that's unlikely.
  5. The Chibok incident shows how long the western political and celebrity attention span is for things Nigerian so those at the top know that, at worst, they just have to make the right noises and a few gestures and it will pass, and very quickly.
  6. Like it or not, the working assumption of the rest of the world is that Africa's a basket-case and that's generally the safe way to bet. You're talking about Lagos and Lekki, which are relatively benign for a country that has Boko Haram operating in the north and places like Port Harcourt and Warri standing for the near-permanent state of banditry and low-level civil war that is every day in the Niger Delta. A few deaths don't really move the needle.
If you want insight, the state of the plumbing and the reliability of the power supply generally tells you a great deal about the country you're in.

Last edited:
If you bothered to read the thread you could deduce:

If you want insight, the state of the plumbing and the reliability of the power supply generally tells you a great deal about the country you're in.
As does the bloated state of the civil service, as well as the military.
In many nations, having many law-and-order mobs is de rigeur.
No single police force, but a whole lot of militia's, agencies para-militaries etc, all loyal to... whoever.
the Praetorians are inevitably the worst thugs.
And answerable to god knows who.
Nigeria is a classic example.

Oyibo

LE

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
Close. Today's Independent is weeping and wailing about "British police trained Nigerian Death Squads".
Presumably this means that protesters are now being bored to death by lectures on diversity and inclusion. Truly a sinister and deplorable development.

Dalef65

Old-Salt
I've just re read the thread to see which self appointed Africa expert has been making racist comments and find no evidence of any such racism. @Mike Barton , you appear to be confused or just incredibly stupid.
Your original post: "Would anyone with an insight into the politics and society of Nigeria like to fill in those of us less well-educated on the situation?", sparked my interest as I lived there, not on rotation but with my wife for a few years then continued to have corporate responsibility for the whole continent, which required me to go back a few times a year, until I retired a few years ago.
Commenting on the state of their politics and the conditions in which they live isn't racist and I can tell you that if any of the "Self appointed Africa experts" that you denigrate here, were racist to any degree, they wouldn't have lasted 5 minutes in the armpit.
If you are going to ask to be "filled in" on a nation you know nothing about, make sure you qualify that by stating that you don't actually want the darker bits.
Nigeria is a hostile and dangerous place if the colour of your skin is white.

A good post to which I can only add an addendum to the last line.

Nigeria is a hostile and dangerous place if the colour of your skin is black and you happen to find yourself in an area in which you dont belong to the resident ethnic grouping.

Close. Today's Independent is weeping and wailing about "British police trained Nigerian Death Squads".
British Police trained?

Were they shuffling along on one knee looking like a Toulouse Lautrec tribute act?

These things happen. One of the difficulties is that anyone who does anything with the body assumes responsibility for it (and the very costly funeral arrangements). Photo below from the road between Warri and Ughelli. It stayed there for two days:

View attachment 514313
1603548935167.png

Stolen from the cartoon thread....

NSP

LE
Apparently they used 12.7mm War Machine Guns...

"How do you use war guns on unarmed citizens.??? "

In the same way as how you use them on anyone else, I'd guess - load, make ready, aim, safety off, depress the trigger...

Also, top left frame of his collage appears to be mostly blanks!

Edited to add: other subsequent posts re: blanks now seen.

Last edited:
The Chibok incident shows how long the western political and celebrity attention span is for things Nigerian so those at the top know that, at worst, they just have to make the right noises and a few gestures and it will pass, and very quickly.
Yes, Michelle Obama and the other luvies were shocked when Boko Haram didn't return the schoolgirls after they hash tagged #Bring back our girls.

0_UjGn4c0kYJfNJmH7.jpg

Yes, Michelle Obama and the other luvies were shocked when Boko Haram didn't return the schoolgirls after they hash tagged #Bring back our girls.

View attachment 514726
They didn't seem to have so much empathy for the ones they didnt kidnap.

Mind you they were massacred/ executed so "got off easy." #

# Not my words but those of some real crackerjack fcukers on Facebook.

Moderator, having read other posts on this thread, I am mildly astounded you thought it necessary to delete mine – with the nasty threat accompanying it.
Ditto.
Two of the most innocuous posts I've ever made were deleted and I can't respond to the mod as they didn't identify themselves in the note.
I can only assume that they didn't read the whole thread but that @Mike Barton reported the posts.

It's now been moved to the hole. I think that will be my future responses to Barton.

Last edited:

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer

View attachment 514726

Much of the heavy lifting in recovering the girls, and more besides, has been done by a pack of middle aged, white, South African mercs. I'm trying to understand why the story hasn't had more coverage....

For all it's faults and despite its reputation on Arrse, this is why I check into the Guardian on a regular basis:

Ditto.
Two of the most innocuous posts I've ever made were deleted and I can't respond to the mod as they didn't identify themselves in the note.
I can only assume that they didn't read the whole thread but that @Mike Barton reported the posts.
I got one of mine deleted with a threat of a ban in future by an unknown Mod. It said it was inappropriate. The thing is I can't for the life of me think what it was and what was inappropriate. I have only contributed a couple of posts to this thread as I have never worked in Nigeria or even been there (and nor do I ever intend to) and only know what I have read in the media and on Arrse from people who have been there.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
I got one of mine deleted with a threat of a ban in future by an unknown Mod. It said it was inappropriate. The thing is I can't for the life of me think what it was and what was inappropriate. I have only contributed a couple of posts to this thread as I have never worked in Nigeria or even been there (and nor do I ever intend to) and only know what I have read in the media and on Arrse from people who have been there.
Maybe Mike the Troll has friends in low places.

Or interesting negatives.

Like I said, I don't think a mod has actually read through the thread.
It's apparently alright to post pictures of dismembered bodies but not call someone out for being a bit of a dummy.

Much of the heavy lifting in recovering the girls, and more besides, has been done by a pack of middle aged, white, South African mercs. I'm trying to understand why the story hasn't had more coverage....

For all it's faults and despite its reputation on Arrse, this is why I check into the Guardian on a regular basis:

I think you answered your own question. It doesn't generally fit the narrative to show nasty white apartheid era South African soldiers and EO mercenaries in a postive light.

Sometime the Guardian just forgets itself.

I’ve only been to Abuja or the North-East.

From the sound of it, the very slight risk of being under a Single 122mm rocket courtesy of Boko Haram is much lower than the risk of being in Lagos or In Port Harcourt.

Latest Threads