Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reports of massacre of protesters in Lagos

Will Phil Shiner move to Nigeria ?
Plenty of business for him there .

I can see the adverts now

" Have you been cut in half by a war machine gun ?

You could be entitled to compensation "

My bold we can only hope!

Lagos is always on a knife edge.
It takes very little for major violence to kick off.
(During the 98 World Cup, there were powercuts during one of Nigeria's games.
Mobs went to the local power authority, and torched the building.)
Oh, and 'Lekki' is 'upmarket' inasmuch as the potholes are filled in annually.
Looks pretty upmarket to me, how does your house compare?

amen-estate-slider2.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

5-Bedroom-Duplex-Victory-Park-Estate-Lekki-Twinnetp-800x540.jpg

Attachments

• 5_Bedroom_Mansion_Pinnock_Beach_Lekki_Lagos_by_Peter_Twinnet1-800x540.png
    5_Bedroom_Mansion_Pinnock_Beach_Lekki_Lagos_by_Peter_Twinnet1-800x540.png
    429 KB · Views: 25
  • 6-bedroom-mansion-on-1550sqm-with-swimming-pool-ajah-lekki-lagos-front-view-800x540.jpg
    6-bedroom-mansion-on-1550sqm-with-swimming-pool-ajah-lekki-lagos-front-view-800x540.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 25

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
Looks pretty upmarket to me, how does your house compare?

View attachment 513892

View attachment 513893

View attachment 513894
Despite the expensive look, they tend not to be attached to things like sewers.

Also, I will find it hard to forgive you for the flashback smell of indelible tropical damp that is the universal background odour of even the finest looking properties in that part of the world if there is fabric anywhere in the building.

At least they've swept up the daily crop of dead cockroaches. :)

Oyibo

LE

Also, I will find it hard to forgive you for the flashback smell of indelible tropical damp that is the universal background odour of even the finest looking properties in that part of the world if there is fabric anywhere in the building.

And let's not even get on to the subject of electricity...

The BBC of course have excellent correspondents all around the world. It's just that they always tend to take the obvious approach.

If they want to know what's going on they will always interview the journalist or academic who speaks English and who will always be coming from the same angle, the government/security forces are oppressive and the rebels/protesters just want liberal reforms.

Of course very often this is correct, but it's also always trite. Are all the protesters fine upstanding liberals seeking peaceful democratic reform? Is there maybe something more behind the story beyond the big bad government repressing decent law-abiding people because, well that's what all big bad governments do?

And then they'll go onto the streets and inevitably once again they will find the most photogenic young woman, who invariably speaks perfect English and who simply demands liberal reforms and democracy. They never interview the oddly shifty looking blokes in the background who don't look as if they are trying to recreate Scandinavian-style democracy and social justice, and who as often as not end up running the protest movement, when photogenic young woman has retired to Starbucks to upload her protest pictures on Instagram.

That's why I always like to here from rather more cynical blokes, like the people on this forum, who might have somewhat more robust and down-to-earth interpretations of what is going on.
Finally, all those vidoes about Ian Smith and Rhodesia that we pointed out to you, have had some effect.

The dead cockroaches littering the floor in the morning are simply part of life in the tropics, rich or poor.

Sweeping them up before dawn is of course the job of one of the half dozen live-in servants you will employ for a pittance, also part of life in the tropics.

Unless you live in a shoe-box apartment in Singapore and can't afford a servant because of the eye-watering cost of living, whereupon you sweep your own cockroaches.

LD17

Old-Salt
So...early/mid-90’s a delegation from NYPD is invited to Nigeria since at the time we (NYPD) were drastically reducing crime. So said delegation goes out with the Nigerian Police to a disturbance that is turning into a riot. Police form up in a line, one literally reads the riot act (as I’m told by my friend who was there) to the crowd. When the crowd doesn’t disburse a truck load of Nigerian Police/Army pulls up and they jump out and take positions in front of the first line. My friend notices they all have rifles (I showed him a pic of That RIFLE but he says it looked more like a G3 which I guess makes sense because we all know the crowd would have been gone,....... I digress) so asks what’s going on, a senior Nigerian Police Chief says “Oh we shoot them now”. My friend thinks he’s joking but then quickly realizes he is not and says “You can’t do that !”. The Nigerian Police Chief, without skipping a beat replies “Maybe in YOUR country YOU can’t but WE do it here all the time!”. The delegation from NYPD quickly went back to the U.S. after that !

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
Nor do the residents of Lekki, despite your obvious bias.
Lekki must have changed considerably then. When I was there, pretty much the whole spectrum of human existence was on display. They even had The Miracle Fire Temple...

It wasn't uncommon to drive past the sort of houses you posted photos of and see someone having a dump in the vacant lot next door.

So...early/mid-90’s a delegation from NYPD is invited to Nigeria since at the time we (NYPD) were drastically reducing crime. So said delegation goes out with the Nigerian Police to a disturbance that is turning into a riot. Police form up in a line, one literally reads the riot act (as I’m told by my friend who was there) to the crowd. When the crowd doesn’t disburse a truck load of Nigerian Police/Army pulls up and they jump out and take positions in front of the first line. My friend notices they all have rifles (I showed him a pic of That RIFLE but he says it looked more like a G3 which I guess makes sense because we all know the crowd would have been gone,....... I digress) so asks what’s going on, a senior Nigerian Police Chief says “Oh we shoot them now”. My friend thinks he’s joking but then quickly realizes he is not and says “You can’t do that !”. The Nigerian Police Chief, without skipping a beat replies “Maybe in YOUR country YOU can’t but WE do it here all the time!”. The delegation from NYPD quickly went back to the U.S. after that !
20201016_211805.jpg

Fucktons of them do. You don't have a clue about the place
I have done business with this guy's family. This is his house, it's in Lagos but not Lekki.

Feel free to point out the pigs and the open sewers (after you've counted the Bentleys in his drive).

I know a little bit more than you realise and unlike you I don't rely on trite prejudices and old-fashioned racism to form a judgement.

Latest Threads