Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reports of massacre of protesters in Lagos

Sexton Blake

War Hero
Ethiopia?

Meh.

The Diet Coke of Africa...
Oh,

I see now. I was walking my dogs in a dark wood and replying on my iPhone.

Yes, of course, the Diet Coke of Africa...

(right, no one is looking now. What the fcuk did you mean)?

Oh,

I see now. I was walking my dogs in a dark wood and replying on my iPhone.

Yes, of course, the Diet Coke of Africa...

(right, no one is looking now. What the fcuk did you mean)?

Diets were hardly necessary in Ethiopia in 1985...

And it’s also a reference to Austin Powers.

Of all the shitty places in Africa, Ethiopia is one of the least shitty. It’s almost pleasant :)

And it has the Ark of the Covenant!

I got one of mine deleted with a threat of a ban in future by an unknown Mod. It said it was inappropriate. The thing is I can't for the life of me think what it was and what was inappropriate. I have only contributed a couple of posts to this thread as I have never worked in Nigeria or even been there (and nor do I ever intend to) and only know what I have read in the media and on Arrse from people who have been there.
Ditto.
Obviously 'being there' and sharing impressions doesn't count.

Of all the shitty places in Africa, Ethiopia is one of the least shitty. It’s almost pleasant
Nearly all the Ethiopans that I have come across in London have been quite nice. Totatly the opposite to Somalians. Their women seem to some of the best looking in Africa. What were your experiences like there?

Not that its on my travel list mind you. I know that up to the early seventies when Haillie Sellasseas still in power RE Field Squadrons used to go there for several months doing Engineer tasks. There was a picture in Soldier magazine showing the Emperor presenting LS&GC medals to some RE SNCO's.

Nearly all the Ethiopans that I have come across in London have been quite nice. Totatly the opposite to Somalians. Their women seem to some of the best looking in Africa. What were your experiences like there?

Not that its on my travel list mind you. I know that up to the early seventies when Haillie Sellasseas still in power RE Field Squadrons used to go there for several months doing Engineer tasks. There was a picture in Soldier magazine showing the Emperor presenting LS&GC medals to some RE SNCO's.

Addis is the home of the African Union, and much to Nairobi’s annoyance, thus touts itself as the ‘Capital of Africa’.

It’s certainly got enough concrete being poured.

By European standards it’s a bit meh. But by African standards it’s pretty good. Addis is generally safer than Nairobi and there’s a German beer garden where you can get bratties!

There are some interesting places for tourism, like Axum (the home of the Ark) and Lalibella (the stone carved churches). There’s also gorilla tours in the south apparently.

Cuisine is a bit interesting- they eat this bread made from fermented dough which is an acquired taste.

And you’ve already mentioned the final angle of the ‘cuisine and scenery’ perspective...

Oyibo

LE
Oh dear:

1603901958425.png

Not Lagos or anywhere in Nigeria, but another city in Africa a long time ago where every thing worked including the traffic lights and the muzungus and Africans seemed to rub along pretty well together. In fact someone there said that they 'have had the happiest Af's in Africa.

Some very hot looking (and not due to the weather) lady muzungus as well.

A notable chapter has been added to Black History Month.

Maybe they'll have a recap like they do on TV shows.
"Previously on Black History Month"

Can't wait for next years African Team Games.

Attachments

• CSTwEBNVAAABDlp.jpg
    CSTwEBNVAAABDlp.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:

TheManFromWem

Old-Salt
Amid all the ongoing demonstrations around the world, some low-key, some not so much, from Belarus to Thailand with Bulgaria in between (no, I haven't heard much about Bulgaria but something seems to be cooking), which combined with CV-19 all portend toward a fractious year for the world in the year ahead. A curious protest has been ongoing in Africa's largest economy Nigeria.

It seems to be mainly focused on the alleged abuses of a branch of the security forces with the unfortunate name of the SARS, so that demonstrators seem to be calling for strict health measures demanding an end to SARS.

Anyhoo it has been boiling over nicely for the past few months, and this morning reports are breaking of a massacre of protesters by the army in an upmarket suburb of Lagos.

Would anyone with an insight into the politics and society of Nigeria like to fill in those of us less well-educated on the situation?

I could read the BBC but I always distrust the unconscious bias that western reporters put on news from Africa and Asia, as they invariably report the situation in black-and-white, good guys versus bad guys, terms. I prefer to get my reports unfiltered from people who know a bit about the back alleys, project sites, food stalls and wh0res of a country, they tend to have a better idea about what's going on than well-intentioned, white journos who never venture outside the air-conditioned hotels and ministerial offices.

sri you on rops mke.merry xma......s

Lagos?

So when the BLM UK doris said she was in daily fear for her life from the police in London she may really have meant Lagos?

I have messaged her on Twitter putting her straight, with an attached Google Earth globe and f*ck-off big arrows.

BLM protests in Lagos any day now, I am sure.

Lagos?

So when the BLM UK doris said she was in daily fear for her life from the police in London she may really have meant Lagos?

I have messaged her on Twitter putting her straight, with an attached Google Earth globe and f*ck-off big arrows.

BLM protests in Lagos any day now, I am sure.
Are there enough shops to loot, and statues to destroy?
I doubt it.

Amid all the ongoing demonstrations around the world, some low-key, some not so much, from Belarus to Thailand with Bulgaria in between (no, I haven't heard much about Bulgaria but something seems to be cooking), which combined with CV-19 all portend toward a fractious year for the world in the year ahead. A curious protest has been ongoing in Africa's largest economy Nigeria.

It seems to be mainly focused on the alleged abuses of a branch of the security forces with the unfortunate name of the SARS, so that demonstrators seem to be calling for strict health measures demanding an end to SARS.

Anyhoo it has been boiling over nicely for the past few months, and this morning reports are breaking of a massacre of protesters by the army in an upmarket suburb of Lagos.

Would anyone with an insight into the politics and society of Nigeria like to fill in those of us less well-educated on the situation?

I could read the BBC but I always distrust the unconscious bias that western reporters put on news from Africa and Asia, as they invariably report the situation in black-and-white, good guys versus bad guys, terms. I prefer to get my reports unfiltered from people who know a bit about the back alleys, project sites, food stalls and wh0res of a country, they tend to have a better idea about what's going on than well-intentioned, white journos who never venture outside the air-conditioned hotels and ministerial offices.

What's wrong with that?