Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reports of massacre of protesters in Lagos

Oyibo

LE
Snipped

Although the pro-south bias leaking through this article wouldn’t have anything to do with the fact that the oil is in the south? No, of course not.

*swidt?

There's a school of thought that the only thing preventing Nigeria breaking up is that they are too divided to form a strong enough movement to do so.

Often people look at Nigeria and break it down into North (Hausa & Fulani), South East (Igbo), and South West (Yoruba). But that ignores the many thousands of tribal groups, communities, and factions that make up the three regions.

Earlier it was posited that Warri, a small town in the South East, could have turned around it's port into being top notch - It has large bases for Chevron and Shell. But the fighting between the different tribal groups makes it a very unattractive prospect.

If the South East tried to break away again (Biafra style), the theory is that they would be so riven by in-fighting that they would fail.

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
And let's not even get on to the subject of electricity...
Two generators was our preferred option - single phase for the accommodation, larger three-phase for the fences. Specification was determined by the fusible rating of a length of scaffold pole which was the usual method of attempted breaches...

Ditto.
Two of the most innocuous posts I've ever made were deleted and I can't respond to the mod as they didn't identify themselves in the note.
I can only assume that they didn't read the whole thread but that @Mike Barton reported the posts.

It's now been moved to the hole. I think that will be my future responses to Barton.
Having followed the alert to this thread I find I am in the Arrse Hole - by accident. I'm shocked.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
No one would believe you unless they'd experienced it first hand. MB a case in point.

Given the attacks on the pipelines to steal oil, this sort of thing was not a rare event either. Perhaps it might help MB understand why people in that neck of the woods are unlikely to be too bothered by a few dead people, though it'll probably take a month or two to talk the wretch out of his safe space after he's watched it.

Quite. Life is cheap in Africa, unless the blame can be flung at a mzungu.

In which case it becomes a national tragedy.

Hit a scrawny old goat on its last legs that was shoved into the path of a company vehicle and it becomes the most fertile goat on the planet, the succour of the entire region and the projected parent of hundreds more fertile animals just as valuable. The compensation can run into stupid money.

It doesn't stop at goats either. I've seen kids thrown into the road and kamikaze cyclists going for compo all out. Couple of incidents of fenced pits and power lines killing kids you wouldn't think would be able to scale the fence without adult help. A lot of places have a rule that all drivers of vehicles on public roads have to be locals, despite massive incompetence, poor eyesight, no clue as to regulations and a high propensity for faked licences. The reason for that is to keep the compensation price down if he hits anything, and to avoid lynch mobs losing their shit completely if the driver is expat.

The mob will still try to intimidate expat passengers into parting with money, even if the driver was quite obviously not at fault.

ETA: Those claiming monetary compensation from expat passengers don't even need to be involved or affected by any incidents. As part of the mob, their righteous feelings of offence and victimhood at a mzungu being a passenger in a vehicle involved in an accident or incident, even if not of their making, is such that the only way to restore the balance of the universe is to be given money. Those who have lived and worked in Africa will know the obsession with money that runs from the poorest bloke in a shanty right to a billionaire despot in one of his palaces.

Last edited:

Oyibo

LE

Hit a scrawny old goat on its last legs that was shoved into the path of a company vehicle and it becomes the most fertile goat on the planet, the succour of the entire region and the projected parent of hundreds more fertile animals just as valuable. The compensation can run into stupid money.

It doesn't stop at goats either. I've seen kids thrown into the road and kamikaze cyclists going for compo all out. Couple of incidents of fenced pits and power lines killing kids you wouldn't think would be abe to scale the fence without adult help. A lot of places have a rule that all drivers of vehicles on public roads have to be locals, despite massive incompetence, poor eyesight, no clue as to regulations and a high propensity for faked licences. The reason for that is to keep the compensation price down if he hits anything, and to avoid lynch mobs losing their shit completely if the driver is expat.

The mob will still try to intimidate expat passengers into parting with money, even if the driver was quite obviously not at fault.

ETA: Those claiming monetary compensation from expat passengers don't even need to be involved or affected by any incidents. As part of the mob, their righteous feelings of offence and victimhood at a mzungu being a passenger in a vehicle involved in an accident or incident, even if not of their making, is such that the only way to restore the balance of the universe is to give them money. Those who have lived and worked in Africa will know the obsession with money that runs from the poorest bloke in a shanty right to a billionaire despot in one of his palaces.

I've seen a few lynchings in Nigeria. On every occasion except one I had armed police with me who did nothing but watch in semi-interest.

The spookiest one was in the South East in the middle of nowhere where a large group was blocking the road bridge over a (disused) railway line. About 20 people were running down the railway line into the early morning rainforest mist.

When we asked the police what was happening the Sgt told us that they were chasing someone who had crashed into some people and killed a child:

"What will they do to him?"​

"They will burn him." The Sgt replied calmly.​
No doubt for the snowflake MB this is just reminiscing about "bongo bongo land" (his words). But if he cannot be prepared to understand how the security forces operate in a very violent country then he shall remain ignorant in every sense of the word.

Last edited:
Given the attacks on the pipelines to steal oil, this sort of thing was not a rare event either. Perhaps it might help MB understand why people in that neck of the woods are unlikely to be too bothered by a few dead people, though it'll probably take a month or two to talk the wretch out of his safe space after he's watched it.

You're kidding, right?

That's exactly the sort of stuff he's looking for.

He's probably making space on his disk drive to download more.

The ghoulish wretch.

It doesn't stop at goats either. I've seen kids thrown into the road and kamikaze cyclists going for compo all out. Couple of incidents of fenced pits and power lines killing kids you wouldn't think would be able to scale the fence without adult help. A lot of places have a rule that all drivers of vehicles on public roads have to be locals, despite massive incompetence, poor eyesight, no clue as to regulations and a high propensity for faked licences. The reason for that is to keep the compensation price down if he hits anything, and to avoid lynch mobs losing their shit completely if the driver is expat.

ETA: Those claiming monetary compensation from expat passengers don't even need to be involved or affected by any incidents. As part of the mob, their righteous feelings of offence and victimhood at a mzungu being a passenger in a vehicle involved in an accident or incident, even if not of their making, is such that the only way to restore the balance of the universe is to give them money. Those who have lived and worked in Africa will know the obsession with money that runs from the poorest bloke in a shanty right to a billionaire despot in one of his palaces.

I’ve seen all of the above in Cambodia.

I’ve seen all of the above in Cambodia.

Unsurprising. Getting their heads around the shit that goes on in the rest of the world is a tough exercise for most who have never experienced it. I'm of the opinion that a total power failure in places like London or New York will have folks eating each other within three days.

All the kumbaya in the world goes right out the window when it comes down to survival.

Sexton Blake

War Hero
Was just perusing the web site one of their daily papers (The Vanguard).

Bloody hell. Is this a snap shot of a 'normal week' there?

I gave up looking beyond the first week! And I thought my time spent in Ethiopia and Cameroon was edgy!

I gave up looking beyond the first week! And I thought my time spent in Ethiopia and Cameroon was edgy!

Ethiopia?

Meh.

The Diet Coke of Africa...

But it’s our fault apparently.

Oyibo

LE

Yup, that's pretty much par for the course

Much of the heavy lifting in recovering the girls, and more besides, has been done by a pack of middle aged, white, South African mercs. I'm trying to understand why the story hasn't had more coverage....

For all it's faults and despite its reputation on Arrse, this is why I check into the Guardian on a regular basis:

Hah, even if the Hampstead liberal lefties (from fee paying schools) have to describe these experienced rescuers as “paramilitary leftovers“ – makes them feel better in the wine bar afterwards.

Sexton Blake

War Hero
Dread thrift.

Not in 1985 it wasn’t.

Although Bob Geldof was there so I get your point!

‘Diet’ Coke?

Were you infantry, by any chance?

Latest Threads