Reports Link Karzai’s Brother to Heroin Trade

KGB_resident said:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/05/world/asia/05afghan.html?hp

The White House says it believes that Ahmed Wali Karzai is involved in drug trafficking, and American officials have repeatedly warned President Karzai that his brother is a political liability...
You are posting this as if we should be surprised at this news?
I would have thought that everybody and his brother was "at it" in some shape or form.
I believe that there were some figures published recently saying that heroin production was up despite the best efforts of the coalition forces: Perhaps this is the excuse that Brer Yank is waiting for to wheel out Agent Orange again

happybonzo said:
KGB_resident said:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/05/world/asia/05afghan.html?hp

The White House says it believes that Ahmed Wali Karzai is involved in drug trafficking, and American officials have repeatedly warned President Karzai that his brother is a political liability...
You are posting this as if we should be surprised at this news?
No, it is something that can be expected. However

The assertions about the involvement of the president’s brother in the incidents were never investigated, according to American and Afghan officials, even though allegations that he has benefited from narcotics trafficking have circulated widely in Afghanistan.
Moreover, it appears that the Americans were well aware about involvement of presidents brother in the drug trade.

happybonzo said:
I would have thought that everybody and his brother was "at it" in some shape or form.
I believe that there were some figures published recently saying that heroin production was up despite the best efforts of the coalition forces: Perhaps this is the excuse that Brer Yank is waiting for to wheel out Agent Orange again
Despite the best efforts? You joke. In fact nothing is being done. Moreover, in fact coalition forces defend drug makers and dealers from Taliban that effectively reduced durgs production during its rule.

Forastero

LE
Despite the best efforts? You joke. In fact nothing is being done. Moreover, in fact coalition forces defend drug makers and dealers from Taliban that effectively reduced durgs production during its rule.
Having sat in on several Counter Narcotics meetings here in sunny Afghan, I can -with a reasonable amount of confidence - tell you that you're talking out of your hoop.

Forastero said:
Having sat in on several Counter Narcotics meetings here in sunny Afghan, I can -with a reasonable amount of confidence - tell you that you're talking out of your hoop.
Sergey, talking out of his hoop? Like that's not a surprise...

Forastero said:
Several Counter Narcotics meetings? And what have been decided as a result of the meetings? What really has been done?

http://www.michaelyon-online.com/in...n-part-i-of-iii&catid=34:dispatches&Itemid=55

Helmand Province is the largest producer of opium in the world. During the poppy season, Gib [British military base] is surrounded by beautiful flowers. From the guard towers, or out on patrols, the soldiers can see the full cycle. Farmers plant the poppy; it grows and blooms producing beautiful flowers like in the Wizard of Oz; the bulbs are lanced and the opium harvested. The final part of the opium cycle lasts all year, and can be seen almost every day, when the British soldiers at Gib take small-arms fire and RPG rounds paid for by the crop they watched growing just outside the wire.
So maybe except blah-blah-blah during so called 'Counter Narcotics meeting' nothing is being done to stop production of drugs in Afghanistan. Moreover, US/NATO forces don't allow Taliban to fight effectively with drug makers and dealers.

Forastero

LE
You're not very bright, are you? I'm not going to start throwing figures around about CN activities on an open forum and if you choose not to believe someone who sits at the very heart of the problem and witnesses the actual results, best you bugger off back to la la land.

I am not, thank god, out there but it does not need a lot of wit to realise that the Taliban are getting their funds from somewhere.
To continue to get their funds they need compliance from all sorts of people and who better than people in Government.

Forastero

LE
Undoubtedly the Taliban get funds from all sorts of sources but your assertion that it's the Government is overly simplistic. The Taliban are not just some simple group of people who can stick their paw and expect the Govt to hand over wads of cash, they are largely funded through their own criminal activities and a vast amount of weaponry and explosives smuggled in through the border regions. That Hamid Karzai's brother has been involved in nefarious activities is not news, it's been suspected for a long time and Mr Resident's conspiracy theories don't stand up to scrutiny.

Forastero said:
Undoubtedly the Taliban get funds from all sorts of sources but your assertion that it's the Government is overly simplistic. The Taliban are not just some simple group of people who can stick their paw and expect the Govt to hand over wads of cash, they are largely funded through their own criminal activities and a vast amount of weaponry and explosives smuggled in through the border regions. That Hamid Karzai's brother has been involved in nefarious activities is not news, it's been suspected for a long time and Mr Resident's conspiracy theories don't stand up to scrutiny.
my bold

This is what I meant: That there has to be connivance from higher up the tree for them to be able to dispose of their wares.
I am quite sure that the Taliban are, by now, a very sophisticated group and have plenty of "contacts".
They fought the Russians and now they are fighting the Coalition. They will have learnt an awful lot in that time, not least, how to grease palms.

Forastero

LE
This is what I meant: That there has to be connivance from higher up the tree for them to be able to dispose of their wares.
No, there doesn't and you're missing the point. The Taliban doesn't give a flying hoot about the Govt as it simply doesn't have to. They carry on doing what they do with complete disregard and there is no need grease their palms. There is far likely to be more concern at a local level through village elders and mullahs than there is for a Govt official. It's difficult, complicated and really isn't as simple as you think it is. My advice to you is to see it for yourself to see how it works and if you can't do that, research it as it's a lot of info to take in (and I don't have the time or the will to slavishly bang on about the power structure here).

Forastero said:
No, there doesn't and you're missing the point. -------- I don't have the time or the will to slavishly bang on about the power structure here).
to shorten quote

I apologise for trying to appear to simplfy what is a terrible mess.

Forastero said:
You're not very bright, are you? I'm not going to start throwing figures around about CN activities on an open forum and if you choose not to believe someone who sits at the very heart of the problem and witnesses the actual results, best you bugger off back to la la land.
So it is a top secret information I fancy. The main secret I suppose is the fact that really nothing is being done

http://www.nato.int/isaf/docu/pressreleases/2008/05-may/pr080513-191.html

Afghanistan – ISAF's Regional Command West (RC-West) hosted a counter-narcotic forum at Camp Arena on 11 May.
The aim of the forum was to illustrate counter-narcotic policy and ISAF tasks related to it and to give an overview on the status of the situation in Afghanistan, focusing on the western region.

BG Francesco Arena, RC-West commander, welcomed the visiting delegation composed of representatives from Headquarters ISAF, the United Kingdom embassy and the Inter-agency Operations Coordination Centre (IOCC) who attended the event.

“Almost every problem we encounter in Afghanistan is in some ways linked with this topic,” said Lieutenant General Jonathon Riley, ISAF deputy commander.
The General is absolutely right and no doubt that pres.Karzai supports his position

The floor was then taken by the representatives of the organizations involved at all levels of counter narcotics. They stressed the concept that success in this field also allows more successes in the development, security and governance of the country.

“If we do not destroy poppy, poppy will destroy Afghanistan,” said Afghan President Karzai in August 2006.
American puppet could begin with his brother as a first step. But as a puppet he follows command from the Master. So the Master prefers merely imitate fierce struggle against narcotics.

The Government of Islamic Republic of Afghanistan (GIRoA) has the lead on counter narcotics and operates through its National Security Forces to develop its National Drug Control Strategy.

While ISAF is not an eradication force, it does support the GIRoA by providing indirect assistance to the Afghan authorities’ counter-narcotic operations through training, intelligence information sharing and in-extremis support.
So translating it from political English to usial one we see that US allows its puppets to earn dirty money on narcotics.

KGB_resident said:
Forastero said:
(RC-West) “.

So translating it from political English to usial one we see that US allows its puppets to earn dirty money on narcotics.
Sir,
Do you mind Sir? Opium helped build the British Empire
I remain, respectfully yours
S.Holmes
Sleuth

Forastero

LE
It's like debating with a five-year old. You're not in Afghan, you don't know what you're on about so go somewhere else. Can't be arsed to discuss this with you Mr Resident because you plainly have absolutely no idea.

happybonzo said:
KGB_resident said:
Sir,
Do you mind Sir? Opium helped build the British Empire
I remain, respectfully yours
S.Holmes
Sleuth
Knockout, touche... I surrender. As a big fan of mr.Holmes I regard his learned opinion with great respect.

It looks that soon NATO will strngthen its anti-narcotics efforts... maybe.

http://english.peopledaily.com.cn/90001/90777/90856/6506259.html

NATO Supreme Allied Commander General John Craddock wrapped up a three-day trip to Afghanistan on Thursday and urged the International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) to increase its role in fighting narcotics, an ISAF press briefing received here said

Forastero said:
It's like debating with a five-year old. You're not in Afghan, you don't know what you're on about so go somewhere. Can't be arsed to discuss this with you Mr Resident because you plainly have absolutely no idea.
It looks as British public is regarded as a crowd of 5-year old, that is being fed by fairy tales.

In Jerusalem (in the old city for example) you could buy a T-shirt with...

Secret Servce
My mission is so secret that even I don'y know about it.

Mods - This post started off as being interesting.

It has now become boring: Can't you lock it or bin it or whatever you like to do on ARRSE?

Quite frankly, I'd rather have boils lanced than carry on with this drivelling rubbish

happybonzo said:
Mods - This post started off as being interesting.

It has now become boring: Can't you lock it or bin it or whatever you like to do on ARRSE?

Quite frankly, I'd rather have boils lanced than carry on with this drivelling rubbish
I you think so Bonzo then, well, I don't object.