Reports: "Arrogance" Behind UK Refusal To Buy German Tanks

UORMan

War Hero
This from the TV channel that posted the "Corbyn" Christmas message to the troops, and I am still waiting for a reply to my email in regards to "Why" they showed it.

Arrogance or a realisation that once the logistic, support and training pipelines had been put in place it would have been a far more expensive option

Arrogance or a realisation that once the logistic, support and training pipelines had been put in place it would have been a far more expensive option
Plus a known propensity for German military things to head east.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
Agreed, but its not as if our current fleets and fleets within fleets don't have logistic, support and training challenges!

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer

Maple

LE
some kind of doctrinal thing too? Blitzkrieg with Grubber's little tanks vs 'come and have a go if you think you're hard enough' in a Challenger

Chimp

ADC
Such a procurement move would have confused the sh*t out of Peter Rabbit (again and old).

The writers clearly don't understand MOD procurement. Upgrades are paid from support money which is operating costs but new vehicles are capital expenditure. You can't just switch money from one budget to another just because it makes economic sense. That way madness lies.

Has the German tank ever been used in battle? The challenger has

Canadians used the 2A6 (might've been 2A6M) in Afghanistan. There was a couple of 'm' kills round the back in KAF. Danes used the 2A5DK in Afghanistan and the Turks have been using 2A4s in N Syria during Op Euphrates Shield

Last edited:
I'd hazard a guess that Chally would do as well as the Turkish Leo's against Kornet and similar, dunno if they're acme export models mind.

Would the spare be on the wrong side like the MAN SV ?
I think i answered this question years ago when SV came out. Admittedly its not "suited" for UK roads in the event of a puncture. Firstly the whole truck behind the cab would need to be redesigned with the radiator being on the left side, hydraulic pack and tyre lift mechanism on the right. To be fair i think it was noticed by the customer after we started recieving the trucks on the validation trials but by that time production was starting.
It was decided to train it out which was a common term i remember. If it was safe to do so, pull over on the other side of the road, turn off to an area where there was more space or with TES SV's i think we ended up using runflats so just keep going.
But the 4t Daf and Bedford both had tyres on the right side and the winch deplyed them flat which would involve sliding and lifting up possibly exposing the lads to the traffic anyway. At least SV deploys the tyre upright.

Just to check, are they saying that we didn't buy them because we finally realised that the Germans are all arrogant bastards?

I mean, seems like a pretty fair reason not to buy them to me...

Latest Threads