Reports: 6 shot, hostages taken in Binghamton, NY

#1
Another sad example of Americans abusing their 2nd amendment rights - which will ultimately lead to said rights being abrogated.

"BINGHAMTON, N.Y. – A gunman entered an immigration services center in downtown Binghamton on Friday, injured at least six people and took as many as 41 hostages, officials said.

Mayor Matthew Ryan told the Binghamton Press & Sun Bulletin that there was a hostage situation involving a gunman with a high-powered rifle..."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090403/ap_on_re_us/hostage_shooting
 
#2
Seems no one is really clear on whats happening -

Live now -

CNN report 4 dead, 12 injured and 20-40 hostages.

BBC reports (up to) 13 dead and 40 hostages.

Yahoo reports 6 shot, up to 41 hostages.

ABC reports 13 dead 26 injured and unknown hostages.

As for "Another sad example of Americans abusing their 2nd amendment rights - which will ultimately lead to said rights being abrogated." According to the news the man is an asian who "may have been taking a citizenship test" so it seems hes not even an American.

As I type this it appears the man with the gun has been taken into custody, situation over?
 
#4
colton said:
As for "Another sad example of Americans abusing their 2nd amendment rights - which will ultimately lead to said rights being abrogated." According to the news the man is an asian who "may have been taking a citizenship test" so it seems hes not even an American.
Phew, that's allright then. So hopefully those 'rights' are safe?

colton said:
As I type this it appears the man with the gun has been taken into custody, situation over?
Until the next one. Same time next week?

It's getting a bit tedious, isn't it?
 
#7
"A gunman in an immigration services center in Binghamton, New York, was found dead with a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head, a government official says. The official said 13 are dead at the American Civic Association. It was not clear if the 42-year-old gunman was included in the death toll. developing story..."

"...The gunman carried identification that said he was 42 and from upstate New York, the official said. "

http://www.cnn.com/

A pity he didn't just do himself in the first place, but these loonies never do.
 
#8
Jiverly Voong,42 Asian Immigrant Identified as the apparent Gunman.
 
#9
The-Lord-Flasheart said:
colton said:
"may have been taking a citizenship test"

Did he pass?

Surely he'd get extra points for randomly shoot a crap load of people? Its the American way......
Reminds me of the series Due South; after a Mountie has killed several bad guys, the American cop tells him "You've shot dead three people. One more and you win automatic US Citizenship." :D
 
#11
'Apparently, the gunman had been recently let go from IBM in nearby Johnson City...'

Don't you mean fired? I did some work in Binghampton some years ago for a simulation company. They 'let go' some people - they turned up for work at 0730, were called in at 0800, fired and were off the premises by 0830.
 
#12
mnairb said:
'Apparently, the gunman had been recently let go from IBM in nearby Johnson City...'

Don't you mean fired? I did some work in Binghampton some years ago for a simulation company. They 'let go' some people - they turned up for work at 0730, were called in at 0800, fired and were off the premises by 0830.
Don't know - that is all the piece said. But nowadays, lots of US firms are laying off workers.
 
#13
Mind you, Barrett, they are just as ruthless over here - I've seen people work for a company for 24 years turn up on a Friday morning and they were out of the door by lunchtime. There was that famous episode when that ambulance chasing company went bust and sacked its workers by texting them...
 
#14
mnairb said:
Mind you, Barrett, they are just as ruthless over here - I've seen people work for a company for 24 years turn up on a Friday morning and they were out of the door by lunchtime. There was that famous episode when that ambulance chasing company went bust and sacked its workers by texting them...
I know what you mean, mate. I was at such a place where they made us come in for a 'sexual harassment' seminar one morning and then let us all go that afternoon. Wasn't much to me, as I was just a consultant, but others who had been there for years were quite upset. They had these big bruisers see us out; at the time I thought it was ridiculous, but in hindsight, I guess not.
 
#15
Some Perspective

http://www.cdc.gov/InjuryViolenceSafety/

On a daily basis, on average, 10 Americans die from drowning, and 9 Americans die from fire in their homes. 14 Americans die from pedestrian accidents. 27 Americans die in falls. 50 Americans a day are murdered. 118 die in auto accidents out of 18,000 Traffic Accidents per day, and 25 people die from A.I.D.S. every day, on average.

In a yearly basis 3,300 Americans drown every year, 3,400 die by fire, 5,200 Americans die in pedestrian accidents every year, 10,000 Americans die in falls every year, 43,000 die in auto accidents every year. 15,000 Americans are murdered every year, and 8,000 Americans die every year from A.I.D.S
 
#16
Goldbricker said:
Some Perspective

http://www.cdc.gov/InjuryViolenceSafety/

On a daily basis, on average, 10 Americans die from drowning, and 9 Americans die from fire in their homes. 14 Americans die from pedestrian accidents. 27 Americans die in falls. 50 Americans a day are murdered. 118 die in auto accidents out of 18,000 Traffic Accidents per day, and 25 people die from A.I.D.S. every day, on average.

In a yearly basis 3,300 Americans drown every year, 3,400 die by fire, 5,200 Americans die in pedestrian accidents every year, 10,000 Americans die in falls every year, 43,000 die in auto accidents every year. 15,000 Americans are murdered every year, and 8,000 Americans die every year from A.I.D.S
And were it not for fecking high powered rifles being available, perhaps less would die in these shootouts. Would be much harder to kill so many so easily with a knife! And I believe in the 2nd amendment!
 
#17
Just a question for our Septic friends.

It is only the multiple victim shootings that make the press over here (UK) and they all seem to end up being sorted out by the police in the end, in much the same way as they would be anywhere else in the world.

I know self defence is one of the main reasons the pro-gun lobby site for their wanting to be allowed to bear arms.

So my question is this - are there any/many examples of someone setting out to unleash a school/work place massacre but ending up being blown out of their socks before they can get started by Doris in accounts who just happens to have a 12 guage in her handbag for self defence?

From this side of the pond is seems that armed citizens are conspicuous by their absence when it comes to preventing massacres, but it could well be because of the selective nature of news reporting.
 
#18
Im sure Ive seen a film where a bloke becomes a hero , by turning up to his office ready to shoot the place up , only to find out someones already doing it so he saves the day. Buggered if I can remember the name of it though :?
 
#19
Micawber said:
Just a question for our Septic friends.

It is only the multiple victim shootings that make the press over here (UK) and they all seem to end up being sorted out by the police in the end, in much the same way as they would be anywhere else in the world.

I know self defence is one of the main reasons the pro-gun lobby site for their wanting to be allowed to bear arms.

So my question is this - are there any/many examples of someone setting out to unleash a school/work place massacre but ending up being blown out of their socks before they can get started by Doris in accounts who just happens to have a 12 guage in her handbag for self defence?

From this side of the pond is seems that armed citizens are conspicuous by their absence when it comes to preventing massacres, but it could well be because of the selective nature of news reporting.
The thing is the law about concealed carry of firearms in public varies considerably state to state. The pro-gun lobby will argue that these massacres only happen in states where concealed carry is not allowed, or highly controlled, or at places where they are not allowed to carry weapons like schools, government buildings, etc.

It's true to say that the number of muggings, assaults and rapes have decreased in states that have encouraged concealed carry like Florida.

Also I believe burglary is lower generally in the US than elsewhere because of the real possibility that a burglar will be shot.

However, that has to be compared to the general high rate of murder and violent crime.

At the end of the day the country is awash with firearms, they are going to be used and any form of serious gun control will take decades to be effective, if ever.
 
#20
Micawber said:
Just a question for our Septic friends.

It is only the multiple victim shootings that make the press over here (UK) and they all seem to end up being sorted out by the police in the end, in much the same way as they would be anywhere else in the world.

I know self defence is one of the main reasons the pro-gun lobby site for their wanting to be allowed to bear arms.

So my question is this - are there any/many examples of someone setting out to unleash a school/work place massacre but ending up being blown out of their socks before they can get started by Doris in accounts who just happens to have a 12 guage in her handbag for self defence?

From this side of the pond is seems that armed citizens are conspicuous by their absence when it comes to preventing massacres, but it could well be because of the selective nature of news reporting.
I guess you didn't notice that most of these mass murders are occuring in "gun free zones" (high schools, universities, and government offices), where employees aren't allowed to carry firearms. I think mass murderers like to go hunting where they know that there are lots of unarmed people crowded into a small area.

You can bet that if an armed citizen did stop a crime with a firearm the news-media (if they bothered to report it at all) would call them a "vigilante" and try to pressure the local police and politicians to prosecute the good citizen, and then the "victims" family would get a lawyer and sue them blind.
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads