Reports: 6 shot, hostages taken in Binghamton, NY

Discussion in 'US' started by barrett, Apr 3, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Another sad example of Americans abusing their 2nd amendment rights - which will ultimately lead to said rights being abrogated.

"BINGHAMTON, N.Y. – A gunman entered an immigration services center in downtown Binghamton on Friday, injured at least six people and took as many as 41 hostages, officials said.

Mayor Matthew Ryan told the Binghamton Press & Sun Bulletin that there was a hostage situation involving a gunman with a high-powered rifle..."
  2. Seems no one is really clear on whats happening -

Live now -

CNN report 4 dead, 12 injured and 20-40 hostages.

BBC reports (up to) 13 dead and 40 hostages.

Yahoo reports 6 shot, up to 41 hostages.

ABC reports 13 dead 26 injured and unknown hostages.

As for "Another sad example of Americans abusing their 2nd amendment rights - which will ultimately lead to said rights being abrogated." According to the news the man is an asian who "may have been taking a citizenship test" so it seems hes not even an American.

As I type this it appears the man with the gun has been taken into custody, situation over?

3. Did he pass?

Surely he'd get extra points for randomly shoot a crap load of people? Its the American way......
  4. Phew, that's allright then. So hopefully those 'rights' are safe?

Until the next one. Same time next week?

It's getting a bit tedious, isn't it?
  5. double post, mong!
  6. "A gunman in an immigration services center in Binghamton, New York, was found dead with a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head, a government official says. The official said 13 are dead at the American Civic Association. It was not clear if the 42-year-old gunman was included in the death toll. developing story..."

"...The gunman carried identification that said he was 42 and from upstate New York, the official said. "

A pity he didn't just do himself in the first place, but these loonies never do.
  7. Jiverly Voong,42 Asian Immigrant Identified as the apparent Gunman.
  8. Reminds me of the series Due South; after a Mountie has killed several bad guys, the American cop tells him "You've shot dead three people. One more and you win automatic US Citizenship." :D
  9. Apparently, the gunman had been recently let go from IBM in nearby Johnson City...
  10. 'Apparently, the gunman had been recently let go from IBM in nearby Johnson City...'

Don't you mean fired? I did some work in Binghampton some years ago for a simulation company. They 'let go' some people - they turned up for work at 0730, were called in at 0800, fired and were off the premises by 0830.
  11. Don't know - that is all the piece said. But nowadays, lots of US firms are laying off workers.
  12. Mind you, Barrett, they are just as ruthless over here - I've seen people work for a company for 24 years turn up on a Friday morning and they were out of the door by lunchtime. There was that famous episode when that ambulance chasing company went bust and sacked its workers by texting them...
  13. I know what you mean, mate. I was at such a place where they made us come in for a 'sexual harassment' seminar one morning and then let us all go that afternoon. Wasn't much to me, as I was just a consultant, but others who had been there for years were quite upset. They had these big bruisers see us out; at the time I thought it was ridiculous, but in hindsight, I guess not.
  14. Some Perspective

On a daily basis, on average, 10 Americans die from drowning, and 9 Americans die from fire in their homes. 14 Americans die from pedestrian accidents. 27 Americans die in falls. 50 Americans a day are murdered. 118 die in auto accidents out of 18,000 Traffic Accidents per day, and 25 people die from A.I.D.S. every day, on average.

In a yearly basis 3,300 Americans drown every year, 3,400 die by fire, 5,200 Americans die in pedestrian accidents every year, 10,000 Americans die in falls every year, 43,000 die in auto accidents every year. 15,000 Americans are murdered every year, and 8,000 Americans die every year from A.I.D.S