• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Reporting Potential Identity Theft - Police Not Interested!

#1
Recently, a letter arrived addressed to our address but with someone else's name on it. We have lived here for three years and the previous occupant (an old lady) had lived here for more than 10 years. Consequently, my wife opened the letter to find that it was a 'billing update' from 3 Mobile - which included "your mobile number" and "your account number". She rang 3, who were apparently not in the least bit interested (presumably he is paying the bill). I suggested calling him and asking him what the f*ck he thinks he's playing at, but this was vetoed by my wife on the grounds that he would come round and murder us :roll:

So I thought I would ring the local constabulary who could perhaps call him on our behalf and ask for a quick explanation. When they answered the 'your call is important to us' line after a mere 11 minutes, I explained the situation and was told that there was nothing to investigate as there was no evidence that a crime had been committed. I suggested that the individual had used our address to obtain a mobile phone contract fraudulently. The idiot on the end of the phone asked me if we had opened the letter - to which I responded 'yes, that is how we know what this is about', his answer to that was 'it is an offence to open mail that is not addressed to you'. I responded with considerable irritation that he was now suggesting that the only crime that had been committed was by use, to which he replied 'yes'.

Having not provided any of my details I then said that I got the impression there was no point me wasting any more of my time and rang off. I am assuming, however, that the full force of the law will be swung into action to trace my call and prosecute me for interfering with the Royal Mail - as that is far easier than pursuing criminals. I would write to the Chief Constable, but I have no doubt that doing so would result in the same witch hunt as I have effectively already 'admitted' to a crime.

Is it any wonder that law-abiding citizens in this country have had enough of our utterly ineffective policing system which effectively fails to prevent crime, protects criminals and seeks, wherever possible, to criminalise the law-abiding. I'm bloody annoyed.
 

Schaden

LE
Book Reviewer
#2
Think I'll go and check all the police forums and see if you rate a mention under "Paranoid nutcases I have had ring up!" heading.
 
#3
I had a similar scenario from Talk Talk about 1 year ago, same stuff, strange name, our address and a phone bill for a mobile, all discovered (obviously) after opening said letter. I destroyed the evidence and sent all subsequent letters back to the return address marked 'not known at this address'. After 4 or 5 such cycles they stopped coming. GMP are legendarily inefficient, so I saw no point in disturbing them in their pursuit of the easier targets in the criminal spectrum.
 
#4
Typical plod. Sad thing with things as they are, were you really expecting anything else?

For the letter. Put opened in error on it, sellotape it up and mark it, not known at this address. Follow it up with a registered letter to 3M to confirm the incorrect address. It will keep you out the pooh when the debt collector come around.
 
#5
Schaden said:
Think I'll go and check all the police forums and see if you rate a mention under "Paranoid nutcases I have had ring up!" heading.
Excellent - that seems to typify the general lack of interest the Police have in preventing crime! If it is too difficult, drop in the suggestion that you can prosecute them for something and they'll soon stop bothering you - you can then get back to your copy of The Sport and your Mars Bar.
 
#6
As I recall it,the oath plod swear contains a line about the 'prevention and detection of crime'
But as has been said,no crime commited (yet) so no Brownie points for clearing up a crime.
 
#7
This is an interesting one, i had my mobile cut off about a month ago without warning...I was up to date on the bill payments etc.

So i rang up orange and asked why. It seems my bills (which i had changed to paperless/internet based) were still being delivered to my old address, so after receiveing a letter from the current occupants saying i didn't live there they barred my phone.

I suggested that as i was paying the bill and they had my contact details (being the service provider for a phone!!) they could have just phoned me up and asked me why I was not at the address they had for me. Got a waffly answer about data protection.

I therefore find it a bit bizarre that 3 mobile aren't interested.

S_R
 
#8
Fifth_Columnist said:
So I I would write to the Chief Constable, but I have no doubt that doing so would result in the same witch hunt as I have effectively already 'admitted' to a crime.

quote]

I would not bother. My informing of a 1 Jan 09 incident in the GMP area, a theft in progress of a caravan from over the road and later report half an hour later of its subsequent burning, and the next day reporting it strewn across my drive resulted in a phone call to ask me whose caravan it was, so they could bill them for the removal of the pile of debris.

My complaint about that resulted in a visit from two police officers late in February, and I had to inform them that the caravan was actually not there any more, though I am not sure they believed me until I showed them the photographs.

I imagine that the case is now closed, I hesitate to contact the police on the matter in case they see a case for my harrassing them!
 
#9
Fifth_Columnist said:
So I I would write to the Chief Constable, but I have no doubt that doing so would result in the same witch hunt as I have effectively already 'admitted' to a crime.

I would not bother. My informing of a 1 Jan 09 incident in the GMP area, a theft in progress of a caravan from over the road and later report half an hour later of its subsequent burning, and the next day reporting it strewn across my drive resulted in a phone call to ask me whose caravan it was, so they could bill them for the removal of the pile of debris.

My complaint about that resulted in a visit from two police officers late in February, and I had to inform them that the caravan was actually not there any more, though I am not sure they believed me until I showed them the photographs.

I imagine that the case is now closed, I hesitate to contact the police on the matter in case they see a case for my harrassing them!
On your initial call you should have said your feelings were hurt after being racially abused*. They'd have been around in a flash.

*Don't try this if you're white, obviously.





Edited to add - someone just pointed out how old this thread is, I hadn't even looked to be honest. Tom_dkg, what the feck you playing at? :?
 
#10
Two years ago somebody lifted £2k from my current account by cashing cheques using stolen chequebook and having knocked up false photo ID. It would have been £3k had the cashier at the third branch he tried it on at had not noticed a basic spelling error on the fake ID, as the first two numpties cashiers should have.

Having been rumbled the genius fled leaving behind fake photo ID covered in his DNA & prints. Eventually banged up and, being an illegal, deported I hope.

Soon found out that even if you have been a "victim" of such crime you are entirely on your own.

Advised by Police to sign up to CreditExpert or similar which gives you an alert if some event that impacts on your credit record happens. Also to register with CIFAS:

http://www.cifas.org.uk/default.asp?edit_id=808-85

There is a lot of noise about this and expensive Quangos inhabited by suits formed but in reality they are of SFA use at a practical level. Look at the "who can help?" pages and there is a very glaring non-presence.

http://www.attorneygeneral.gov.uk/nfa/Pages/default.aspx

http://www.identitytheft.org.uk/default.asp
 
#11
Schaden said:
Think I'll go and check all the police forums and see if you rate a mention under "Paranoid nutcases I have had ring up!" heading.
Although seeing as most police are lazy, and think they are doing people a favour by doing their job, maybe they couldn't conjure the energy to write about it on a forum.
 
#12
Blogg said:
Two years ago somebody lifted £2k from my current account by cashing cheques using stolen chequebook and having knocked up false photo ID. It would have been £3k had the cashier at the third branch he tried it on at had not noticed a basic spelling error on the fake ID, as the first two numpties cashiers should have.

Having been rumbled the genius fled leaving behind fake photo ID covered in his DNA & prints. Eventually banged up and, being an illegal, deported I hope.

Soon found out that even if you have been a "victim" of such crime you are entirely on your own.

Advised by Police to sign up to CreditExpert or similar which gives you an alert if some event that impacts on your credit record happens. Also to register with CIFAS:

http://www.cifas.org.uk/default.asp?edit_id=808-85

There is a lot of noise about this and expensive Quangos inhabited by suits formed but in reality they are of SFA use at a practical level. Look at the "who can help?" pages and there is a very glaring non-presence.

http://www.attorneygeneral.gov.uk/nfa/Pages/default.aspx

http://www.identitytheft.org.uk/default.asp

http://www.actionfraud.org.uk/report_fraud
 
#13
Fifth_Columnist said:
Recently, a letter arrived addressed to our address but with someone else's name on it. We have lived here for three years and the previous occupant (an old lady) had lived here for more than 10 years. Consequently, my wife opened the letter to find that it was a 'billing update' from 3 Mobile - which included "your mobile number" and "your account number". She rang 3, who were apparently not in the least bit interested (presumably he is paying the bill). I suggested calling him and asking him what the f*ck he thinks he's playing at, but this was vetoed by my wife on the grounds that he would come round and murder us :roll:

So I thought I would ring the local constabulary who could perhaps call him on our behalf and ask for a quick explanation. When they answered the 'your call is important to us' line after a mere 11 minutes, I explained the situation and was told that there was nothing to investigate as there was no evidence that a crime had been committed. I suggested that the individual had used our address to obtain a mobile phone contract fraudulently. The idiot on the end of the phone asked me if we had opened the letter - to which I responded 'yes, that is how we know what this is about', his answer to that was 'it is an offence to open mail that is not addressed to you'. I responded with considerable irritation that he was now suggesting that the only crime that had been committed was by use, to which he replied 'yes'.

Having not provided any of my details I then said that I got the impression there was no point me wasting any more of my time and rang off. I am assuming, however, that the full force of the law will be swung into action to trace my call and prosecute me for interfering with the Royal Mail - as that is far easier than pursuing criminals. I would write to the Chief Constable, but I have no doubt that doing so would result in the same witch hunt as I have effectively already 'admitted' to a crime.

Is it any wonder that law-abiding citizens in this country have had enough of our utterly ineffective policing system which effectively fails to prevent crime, protects criminals and seeks, wherever possible, to criminalise the law-abiding. I'm bloody annoyed.
Could even be electoral fraud, especially with a General Election coming on. Maybe call the Electoral Commission and see what they have to say, they are at least responsive, given their core role being close to the heart ( or hip pocket) of the Westminster village.
 
#14
Hootch said:
Fifth_Columnist said:
Recently, a letter arrived addressed to our address but with someone else's name on it. We have lived here for three years and the previous occupant (an old lady) had lived here for more than 10 years. Consequently, my wife opened the letter to find that it was a 'billing update' from 3 Mobile - which included "your mobile number" and "your account number". She rang 3, who were apparently not in the least bit interested (presumably he is paying the bill). I suggested calling him and asking him what the f*ck he thinks he's playing at, but this was vetoed by my wife on the grounds that he would come round and murder us :roll:

So I thought I would ring the local constabulary who could perhaps call him on our behalf and ask for a quick explanation. When they answered the 'your call is important to us' line after a mere 11 minutes, I explained the situation and was told that there was nothing to investigate as there was no evidence that a crime had been committed. I suggested that the individual had used our address to obtain a mobile phone contract fraudulently. The idiot on the end of the phone asked me if we had opened the letter - to which I responded 'yes, that is how we know what this is about', his answer to that was 'it is an offence to open mail that is not addressed to you'. I responded with considerable irritation that he was now suggesting that the only crime that had been committed was by use, to which he replied 'yes'.

Having not provided any of my details I then said that I got the impression there was no point me wasting any more of my time and rang off. I am assuming, however, that the full force of the law will be swung into action to trace my call and prosecute me for interfering with the Royal Mail - as that is far easier than pursuing criminals. I would write to the Chief Constable, but I have no doubt that doing so would result in the same witch hunt as I have effectively already 'admitted' to a crime.

Is it any wonder that law-abiding citizens in this country have had enough of our utterly ineffective policing system which effectively fails to prevent crime, protects criminals and seeks, wherever possible, to criminalise the law-abiding. I'm bloody annoyed.
Could even be electoral fraud, especially with a General Election coming on. Maybe call the Electoral Commission and see what they have to say, they are at least responsive, given their core role being close to the heart ( or hip pocket) of the Westminster village.
That was posted in 2008 - that's some foresight of the looming general election :)
 
#15
Perhaps I'm being a bit daft here, but wtf is all the fuss about?

Yes, OK you got a letter sent to your address, but it's not in your name is it? It's 3's problem, not yours!

There could be a perfectly innocent explanation, i.e. instead of no.33 Somesuch Street, someone put down No.3 Somesuch Street.

Anyway, even if someone has used your address, then it's not as though you can be held liable for any bills or debts. If the baliffs do turn up (which frankly is unlikely anyway) then you explain that you are not the person named on their warrant, they will ask you to prove that, you show them so ID and then they send the debt back to the company saying that the details are wrong.

If you are in Quarters for instance, we regularly get bills etc for previous occupants, we just stick em back in the postbox with "not known at this address" on them. If we keep getting them after a few months then we bin em. Who's to say we didn't send them back?

Lot of hot air about nothing in my opinion. Take a chill pill and don't bother plod! They have other things. When you start getting bills in your name with your details on them and you owe 3k for something that you've had nothing to do with, then plod will get involved as there has been a crime committed.

Now please get a life.
 
#17
Infiltrator said:
Now please get a life.
Blimey, my post was from about 18 months ago! I just had a rant, not so much about getting a misaddressed letter, but Plod's lack of interest in the use of a false address and their rather greater interest in my "interference with the Royal Mail". Still, I have got over it in the intervening months, but now someone has dragged it all up again, I may have to sue for emotional trauma.
 
#18
Fifth_Columnist said:
Infiltrator said:
Now please get a life.
Blimey, my post was from about 18 months ago! I just had a rant, not so much about getting a misaddressed letter, but Plod's lack of interest in the use of a false address and their rather greater interest in my "interference with the Royal Mail". Still, I have got over it in the intervening months, but now someone has dragged it all up again, I may have to sue for emotional trauma.
Fair cop! I didn't see the original post date or I wouldn't have bothered. Please ignore my instruction to get a life as you obviously have one! You can sue me, but I don't actually have anything to sue for, so be warned. Unless you want a disgruntled dog....you can have her!
 
#19
Of course they are not interested, they have far too much paper-work to deal with in order that their political masters can boast about the ever decreasing crime rates!
 
#20
My mother recently had all her garden ornaments, some of which were very expensive, stolen during the night.
She phoned the police who attended and informed her that, it wasn't theft, it was anti social behaviour.
I'm still trying to work that one out :?
 

Latest Threads