Reply to a formal invite

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by emptyeye, Feb 25, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi Guys

Been invited to dinner with the Lord Lt of Hampshire, and I know there is a 'thanks very much, i will attend and arrive by helicopter' type letter I send back in service writing speak, but for the life of me I cant remember how it all starts and where my name and address goes etc, anyone got an example? or a link to a service writing page?

Thanks in advance

oh, I guess doing a zulu warrior in black tie is out of order that night too?

Ill get me coat............

2. Your address goes on the top right hand side of the letter with the date underneath. You usually start your reply with dear Lord blah, followed by Thank your for your kind invitation dated ( date ), which i can accept with pleasure. Then enclose any relevant details and finish it with. Yours Sincerely. ( your name)

I hope this helps.

3. see your PM

4. Best thing to do is to follow closely the layout of the Invitation Letter, placement of address, date etc. The reply should be short i.e. "My wife and I would be honoured to attend the dinner function as a guest of the Lord Lt. of Hampshire."

Yours Sincerely,

5. Hiya

Unless its changed somewhat, isnt the the reply a semi official reply? ie my name at the very top of the page, my address on the right as you say and the saluatation and ending written in pen?

6. I would do that but its on a card not a letter

7. yes, i was just givin a basic example

8. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

It is simple

"Ta mate,

See you there - get the beers in.

signed - Bezzer"

:twisted:

9. Love to, it takes ages though, still not here at 09:50

10. Why not just go to the library and look through a copy of "Debrett's Correct Form" - you can't then possibly be wrong.

11. Absolute tosh.

1. It is an INVITATION not an invite.

2. The form is to write thus:

Invitations should be replied to immediately: a formal invitation requires a formal reply. You should use a letter with a printed header or no header at all. The content of the reply should be:

• By hand
    • In ink
    • In the third person

Mr Emptyeye thanks the The Lord Lieutenant of Blankshire for his kind invitation to the XXXXXXX on Friday 29 October 2004 at The Civic Hall and has much pleasure in accepting.

• Alternatively:

Mr Emptye thanks the The Lord Lieutenant of Blankshire for his kind invitation to the XXXXXXX on Friday 29 October 2004 at The Civic Hall but [due to a previous engagement] he regrets he is unable to accept.

• If the invitation gives a telephone number for replies then it is acceptable to phone in the reply.
    • If the invitation gives 'regrets only' instead of RSVP then only those who cannot attend respond.
    • If the invitation gives 'pour memoire' it is assumed one will attend and need not reply.
    • If the invitation is from a married couple then the reply should be addressed to the wife.

12. "Mr and Mrs Blah thank the Lord Lt of Hampshire for his kind invitation to dinner at blah on blah, and have great pleasure in accepting"

13. Please see Barbs's reply which in my opinion is right on the money. Not that the average Lord Lieutenant will be upset in the slightest about minor variations in the format of replies, but empty-eye clearly wants to get it right. Hope you have a very pleasant evening.

And the swift 'bread and butter' informal thank-you letter afterwards is a whole new subject!

14. I was beginning to despair. barbs is absolutely correct.
    Don't forget to write an informal thankyou note after the function (once again to the lady of the house if a couple).

15. like i said, a basic.
    i did write invitation