Replacing Motherboard

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by ogri750, Jan 29, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The motherboard has died on the home pc, so it needs to be changed.

While I'm doing that, I'll also change the processor, fan and RAM (old one was DDR, new is DDR2).

Just after some feedback on how I will do this without fooking the system.

This is the way I was planning on doing it

1. Remove old mobo

2. Fit new mobo, processor etc

3. At first boot, go into BIOS and change boot sequence to CD 1st

4. XP disc in drive

5. Reboot pc, don't choose 1st repair option from XP, choose 2nd repair

6. Let XP install what it needs (this hopefully puts all the drivers back to XP standard)

7. Let pc boot normally then install device drivers from mobo disc

8. Fingers crossed it worked

Anyone tell me if that is the right way of going about it, or is there another way.

I can't format the drive as there is personal info on it that hasn't been backed up, so I do need to keep the files intact.

TIA

2. Technically right but dont bother with the XP cd more than likely it will load up fine without it. Just because you change hardware doesnt mean the windows software will be affected.

3. If its the same make and model of MOBO, you should get away with it. I wouldn’t bother with the repair bollox just boot XP and see what happens. The Mobo will detect changes automatically with CPU speeds and memory speeds If its a newer model mobo or new vendor I'd buy a new HD and do a fresh Install of XP, Slave your Buckshee HD and extract the stuff you need from that.

4. It's a different make, model, speed etc from the old one.

I did think about the slave option for the HDD, problem is, I haven't got some of the discs anymore for some of the programs on it, so not sure if they will copy and work

5. If its a different model, even if it makes it into xp from the old version you wil lhave no end of problems, both obvious and not so obvious. The OS never maps the PnP IO addresses correctly and as a result things will either not work, work intermitantly or run slow.

MB changes require a new os install, unless you want to constantly be chasing problems.

Since xp doesnt use NTFS you can as the Cpl_Ripper says use a new HD and copy accross settings and docs from the old drive.

6. I agree. You may well 'get away with it' but your system will not be working to its best ability. It is good practice to do a completely fresh install if you change the Mobo, you will likely save yourself quite a few headaches in the long run.

If the CPU etc wasnt really changing and you were just replacing a damaged board it would be far less of an issue.

7. I am not convinced it is that difficult. Sure when you first reboot XP you will have loads of "new Hardware" detection messages for your motherboard, but assuming you are not using onboard Graphics, your screen should be fine, if you are using onboard graphics you should still default to VGA and be able to boot. At which point you can then install the drivers from your new motherboard CD.
    If this doesnt work or causes problems, then you can buy a new HD and go down the clean load approach. But up until then, you have little to lose by just trying the reboot on the existing HD

8. I would remove the hard disk with all stuff on it, buy another maybe cheap small one, then reformat the new hard disk reinstall everything and either copy files from removed hard disk or add it as a second. May also have problems with windows registration if you change the original configuration a fair bit. I did.

9. It might, it depends on how XP was installed in the first place with options for either FAT32 or NTFS. Also FAT32 can be converted to NTFS after installation.

In the past I've swapped out motherboards without reinstalling XP. All new devices were recognised after three or four re-boots. I then had to tweak the graphics setting back to their previous settings as they were changed by Windows to VGA during the hardware detection phase.

Also one time XP needed reactivating - not a problem, I think you're allowed something like 5 major hardware changes.

10. I am not going to say it won't but is very unlikely that you will boot to XP ... more likely to boot to Blue Screen Of Death !!!

The CPU and MOBO is probably using completely different architecture / drivers.

I would advise the purchase of a new HDD, a complete fresh install of XP and your applications. Then insert the Old HDD as a slave device and recover the files you need.

OR

find someone who will let you put your HDD into their PC and backup all the files you want.

11. What leads me to give my suggestion a first attempt is the comment about "I don't have some original disks for some of the programs". Backing up your data wont help you there.

12. Hello,

as far as I am aware XP does use NTFS,I remember my relief at no longer having to worry about the FAT32 bug when I upgraded from Millenium.

tangosix.

13. All done, with a modium of success

Managed to find al the discs for the progs that were on it, so that was one headache out of the way.

Changed all the hardware, and follwed the repair route. Did have to register XP again, no drama there.

Few glitches with some progs, so copied all the documents to my slave drive and then did a clean install. Much better.

Only prob I have now, looks like the slave drive is on the way out as if it is connected (IDE), the pc takes forever to get into "My Computer", and sometimes the drive is recognised and sometimes not.

Just hope it lasts long enough to copy the stuff back.

Cheers for the advice lads

14. New Mobo== New pc==£new M$licence. Pay the man. Unless you have a cracke/Corporate copy of XP.

15. Hmm, what defines a PC? Licenses are tricky things, depending on if they are OEM per installed or Shop brought.

But even so, my new PC was playing up a few weeks ago, end result was A new MB, new CPU, New Ram, New case, Same Sound and Video Card, same HD's. Vista asked me to re register, went through the online route, it wouldnt let me because it basically thought I had a new PC, gave me a freephone UK number to ring, which starts off automated, again the automated part refused a license key, put me through to an operator, explained about new MB and CPU, same HD, only installed on 1 PC, he issued new registration no quibles