Replacing an older style Dog Tag

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Didn't units stamp their own at one point if they were lost? I vaguely remember it was either the LAD or armourer?

The Assassin

On ROPS
On ROPs
dog tags.jpg

I have posted this recently.

As can be seen I was issued the usual two. These are genuine original dog tags issued to me in late 1975.

The one on the right is stamped fairly neatly, the one on the left looks waltier than Robme. I suppose this just goes to show it's impossible to tell whether these things are real or home made.
I was issued mine as a reservist and kept them (and the number) when I transferred to Regs and wore them every day and I still do, with a wedding ring attached.
Wedding ring? Thought that was your issued cock-ring

When I lost one, they weren't connected! We used to connect one to a D ring on the front of a flying suit in Germany and it went missing from there.
My understanding of the "Dog Tags" were that in the if you got killed, one stayed with the body, and the other went to graves registration, and so both were connected, and worn on a cord-chain around the neck. You say you separated them, so what when in uniform as stated, did you do with the other one, and why?...... just curious!

In the 70's I was issued with two metal, round ID discs. Over the years, the main disc has gone adrift and I'm left with the secondary one, just featuring my service number and surname.

Purely for nostalgia, I'd like to have a duplicate made, but in the style of the original - machine stamped from the front of the disc. At the moment, I can find companies that will engrave discs, but none that will stamp them in the older style to match my original. Does anyone know of a company that's able to do this?
You can have mine if you're that desperate...

My understanding of the "Dog Tags" were that in the if you got killed, one stayed with the body, and the other went to graves registration, and so both were connected, and worn on a cord-chain around the neck. You say you separated them, so what when in uniform as stated, did you do with the other one, and why?...... just curious!
Where did the third tag go. 2 x round, 1 x oval?

I still have two sets (both on the very thin olive green para cords they were issued with) but one only has an oval and a single round tag... who knows where the round one went or why I had two sets?

1617567412582.png

Being a crab we had a card/fibre set which i had to return after FI 84 god knows why, ive a book about the bulge and the yank ones in the 40s carried a mass of info on a small tag when you needed to form fill you put tag and form in a small press job done sign the form in secs ,no waiting for army types to find a rular to write with.

War Hero
The one with two holes is the one that stays with your body and the second hole is for the small cord to hold the second disc which is removed for reporting your death. The third one is taped to your respirarator.
You usually taped the two around your neck together to stop clanking when on patrol or doing close target recce etc

That's also my understanding of their correct use. It was fairly common practice in West Germany and NI (1970's), in my experience, for one to be attached to a flying suit or aircrew DPM jacket (both had a D ring on the front). Some did it, and some didn't. The second disc was just kept safe, but some people attached both to the D ring. As for the third disc - I was only ever issued two, both by the Army and the RAF.

Morning All,
Had 1st set of 3, stamped issued in mid '70s. 2x round with single hole. Ix oval with 2 holes.
Was told, 1 to be worn around neck, 1 on ressie case/ressie. Oval to be kept with documents and if person is killed, it was to be fixed to your coffin with 2 nails.
I still have them and always wondered why they didn't keep the oval one in my doc's:oops:

Morning All,
Had 1st set of 3, stamped issued in mid '70s. 2x round with single hole. Ix oval with 2 holes.
Was told, 1 to be worn around neck, 1 on ressie case/ressie. Oval to be kept with documents and if person is killed, it was to be fixed to your coffin with 2 nails.
I still have them and always wondered why they didn't keep the oval one in my doc's:oops:
RN issue oval disc secured to coffin with golden rivets..

That's also my understanding of their correct use. It was fairly common practice in West Germany and NI (1970's), in my experience, for one to be attached to a flying suit or aircrew DPM jacket (both had a D ring on the front). Some did it, and some didn't. The second disc was just kept safe, but some people attached both to the D ring. As for the third disc - I was only ever issued two, both by the Army and the RAF.
The D-ring was designed for something completely different - oxygen-mask related I believe but a Squipper may tell you more. Snag with all of the bits added to the growbag was that they were attached with cotton thread that would burn readily, thereby dropping off in the event of incineration.

I hung on to mine as a sort of souvenir and, in a silly sort of way, a "Good Luck" charm as I wore them on "Ops and when doing all sorts of mad shit and somehow walked away with as many bits and pieces as I had when I walked in.

Anywho, both of my sons are serving and a sort of tradition has emerged inasmuch as whenever anyone of them is deployed then he gets my old dog tags to carry so, silly to relate, my luck carries to him.

Pretty bonkers mad I know but it makes me feel better and my sons are prepared to humour me.

I want them back though when I kark it so I can be buried with them.

In your dreams, so who does the deed, a vet, or the station lance jack medical assistant?
Why piss about with medical stuff, a bar code, tattooed on the left lower forearm, why not the Germans done it to millions, and it worked. :salut:
RAVC or RSPCA
On some there is no more room for any tats...

a bar code, tattooed on the left lower forearm, why not the Germans done it to millions, and it worked.
Ahead of their time, them German tattooists eh? Tattooing barcodes decades before they were actually invented on to millions of people...

... If only somebody had invented der barcode scanner at about the same time.

1617628549806.jpeg

ColdWarWorrier

Old-Salt
The D-ring was designed for something completely different - oxygen-mask related I believe but a Squipper may tell you more. Snag with all of the bits added to the growbag was that they were attached with cotton thread that would burn readily, thereby dropping off in the event of incineration.

The D-ring on my growbags were a handy place to hang my RayBan Aviator shades. I thought everybody knew that.

Didn't units stamp their own at one point if they were lost? I vaguely remember it was either the LAD or armourer?

Got mine at the depot. They stayed with my docs until my first bangy location posting then they were presented to me, and kept evermore.

Where did the third tag go. 2 x round, 1 x oval?

I still have two sets (both on the very thin olive green para cords they were issued with) but one only has an oval and a single round tag... who knows where the round one went or why I had two sets?

View attachment 562676

Do we win a prize if we get the right answer?

We ran the ID Card Cell for BAOR, all mangled, out of date, and lost ID cards were replaced by us.....actually the two rather fit German Fraus who worked for us. Although one had had a boob job, and the other was allegedly (allegedly my arrse, so much evidence it was a done deal) being shagged by the RSM.

We also did dog tag replacement/procurement if asked by units. That involved one of the wimmin wandering off down town to the local pet shop and having a couple of doggy discs engraved........yes seriously. Usually though when Chief Clerks called to ask about dog tags and were informed how it worked they would just arrange their own locally, wherever they were.

Latest Threads