Replacing an older style Dog Tag

In the 70's I was issued with two metal, round ID discs. Over the years, the main disc has gone adrift and I'm left with the secondary one, just featuring my service number and surname.

Purely for nostalgia, I'd like to have a duplicate made, but in the style of the original - machine stamped from the front of the disc. At the moment, I can find companies that will engrave discs, but none that will stamp them in the older style to match my original. Does anyone know of a company that's able to do this?

In the 70's I was issued with two metal, round ID discs. Over the years, the main disc has gone adrift and I'm left with the secondary one, just featuring my service number and surname.

Purely for nostalgia, I'd like to have a duplicate made, but in the style of the original - machine stamped from the front of the disc. At the moment, I can find companies that will engrave discs, but none that will stamp them in the older style to match my original. Does anyone know of a company that's able to do this?

I hope this is not like the Bruce Willis film Sixth Sense.
Could be there is a good reason why you only have one ID disc.

The Assassin

On ROPS
On ROPs
When did they start laser etching the tags? My originals from 2008 were stamped, but those from 2012 on were laser etched.

To make things a little clearer, the two fibre tags are from my RAF days (I know, but somebody had to join them) and the lower metal disc is my remaining original, in the style I want to create.

As you might see, the stamping is quite distinctive and not so clearly done as the modern issues. The upper metal disc is a self-stamped one, as the Army wouldn't replace my mislaid one.
Dog tags.jpg

Mine, Royal Navy, were hardened cardboard disk with name and number stamped on it. Remained tied to my respirator all my service. I used to think it was to identify my respirator on a rack. Even when I was landing party in Borneo I never wore it. :cool:

When did they start laser etching the tags? My originals from 2008 were stamped, but those from 2012 on were laser etched.
I seem to remember my early ones (2007) were stamped but with little pinhead type indentations? Is that how yours were?

And what did they have on them - was it Blood group, surname, initials, number, religion - each on a separate line?

War Hero
Two tags ? ISTR them coming in a set of three: two were circular with one hole, the other oval with two diametrically opposed holes.
They did. One went on your respirator.

Then there was a main and secondary for round your neck. When you were dead, the patrol commander collected the secondary from around the neck set.

If head detached then the neck ones fell off, but if respirator still in its pack you could work out who it was. If wearing respirator and head detached, you knew who it belonged to!

I still have mine, both of them connected by a small loop of red cord, how can you lose ONE when they are both connected?

The Assassin

On ROPS
On ROPs
I seem to remember my early ones (2007) were stamped but with little pinhead type indentations? Is that how yours were?

And what did they have on them - was it Blood group, surname, initials, number, religion - each on a separate line?
Ah, just had a closer look at mine (2008, yes, pinhead-type stamping. But the order, from the top is,

Blood group
Number
Surname
Initial(s) first name(s)
Religion

Last edited:
I am surprised that with the benefit of hindsight, tags aren't made from something that does not corrode or degrade easily.
Cost probably

Arte_et_Marte

ADC
dog tags.jpg

I have posted this recently.

As can be seen I was issued the usual two. These are genuine original dog tags issued to me in late 1975.

The one on the right is stamped fairly neatly, the one on the left looks waltier than Robme. I suppose this just goes to show it's impossible to tell whether these things are real or home made.

I had two metal discs which stayed in the orderly room in my file to be issued when and if required. That’s 248etc if needed (I know, sprog etc.)
When I left I never saw them again, and in a previous job I have handled lots of army personnel files with tags in them. Thus, I assume, never given to the soldier leaving.
Were these issued for reservist purposes?

Arte_et_Marte

ADC
I had two metal discs which stayed in the orderly room in my file to be issued when and if required. That’s 248etc if needed (I know, sprog etc.)
When I left I never saw them again, and in a previous job I have handled lots of army personnel files with tags in them. Thus, I assume, never given to the soldier leaving.
Were these issued for reservist purposes?
I was issued mine as a reservist and kept them (and the number) when I transferred to Regs and wore them every day and I still do, with a wedding ring attached.

Latest Threads