Replacements for Generals Abizaid and Casey

Discussion in 'Multinational HQ' started by Trip_Wire, Jan 5, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

2. Maybe but you missed the best news possible:

Officials also tell ABC that the replacement as MNF-I commander in Iraq (replacing Gen. George Casey) will be LTG David Petraeus.

He did an outstanding job as 101st CDR. One of the very few who 'got it' when it came to counter-insurgency, hearts and minds, etc.

It's very good news.
  3. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

I didn't miss that it was on the site I posted.:

"Officials also tell ABC that the replacement as MNF-I commander in Iraq (replacing Gen. George Casey) will be LTG David Petraeus. Though Casey was originally staying in position till June, he is expected to leave earlier than expected probably in the next few months."

I just didn't mention it, as I thought one could read the article and get it. ;)

Note: Some are critical of Gen. Petraeus's role after leading the 101, in training Iraqis.
  4. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

I have a somewhat different view. Suggest you have a look at an earlier thread where he was discussed.Look here
  5. He did a much better job than that idiot Eaton. Eaton was a disaster at Benning how anyone could think he could manage the training of the IA is an incompetent.
  6. With the Navy doing the rounds in the region, what better man than this?

There is a good chance that the coming war with Iran will depend a hell lot on seapower.
  7. No biggy devil_dog both Casey and Abazaid were due for reassignment in 07 as their tour of duty was up. As for Gen Casey he has been tapped to be the next Army Chief of Staff.
  8. So I heard. I'm made to understand the chiefs are unhappy with the "surge". They call it (rightly) an escalation.
  9. You must be French. You might call it an escalation but we are in Iraq to win. A surge of additional forces give the ground commander alot more options including limited offensive operations into Syria or Iran if conditions warrant such a necessity.
  10. Excuse moi vous la plait travaille c'est trop dur, monsieur, so this is another deception tactic to ratchet the pressure on Syria and Iran. Why pick another fight when we can't even finish the one we started?

Neccesity? What necessecity? It is an open secret that an attack on Iran has all but been decided. All we are waiting for is the spark that will set off the powder keg. Hence, escalation in anticipation.

Why pick a fight with Mike Tyson when the skinny kid down the street has got us in a headlock?
  11. Is not the appointment of an Admiral forward planning for Iran "solution". That lovely long coastline of the Gulf. Stand offshore and drop missiles where they are needed. I realise that wars are won by boots on the ground but another Shock & Awe properly directed would save on body bags.
    Just have to be careful they do not have too many Blue/Blue with the Israelis!
  12. Sounds like he doesn't play well with others of his own rank, which tranlsates into pissing off their staffs as well I suppose. Still he had some successes and it can't hurt to change the leadership. Here's hoping.
  13. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

He still has to answer to the Admiral! You still remember the chain of Command, don't you?