Replacement RAF AWACS

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Yes you did, in fact not only that you did so in response to the very same post you quoted above.

(insert jokes about heard you first time etc.)

More sensibly you seem to have sufferred the same glitch i get - you rejoin a thread but not where you left it a page or 2 before. Thus continuing the convo from the wrong point
Yes, there was a wire came loose... :-D

Published by: Gareth Jennings, JANES, on 01 July 2021.

UK sells E-3D to US Navy as ‘Doomsday' trainer aircraft.

The sale was announced by the US Department of Defense (DoD) on 30 June, with the UK Ministry of Defence (MoD) being awarded USD15 million for the aircraft. Work will be performed at Lake Charles Airport in Louisiana (site of Northrop Grumman's Lake Charles Maintenance and Modification Center), where the aircraft is understood to be stored, with delivery to the USN by September.

As previously reported by Janes , the USN requires the E-3D to serve as flight trainer for the E-6B to reduce fatigue on the C3 fleet of 16 aircraft, dubbed ‘Doomsday' on account of their nuclear control mission. Both the E-6B and the E-3D share the same Boeing 707-320 airframe. Being fitted with the same flight controls and systems and engines would enable all non-mission-related training to be conducted on the cheaper and non-operational surplus E-3D instead.

The USN noted, “The E-6B is integral to US nuclear C3 system, and provides assured capability for US nuclear force execution. Currently, the US Navy conducts all initial and recurring E-6B pilot training flight in E-6B mission aircraft. These training flights expose mission aircraft to significant unnecessary wear-and-tear and negatively impact E-6B readiness and availability. Moreover, lack of a dedicated training aircraft increases the time required to train qualified aircrews needed to execute the E-6B mission. The purchase of an [E-3D] in-flight trainer aircraft will result in the reduction of 600 flight hours and 2,400 landings/cycles per year from the E-6B mission aircraft.”

The UK has sold one of its remaining E-3D aircraft to the US Navy, which plans to use it as a surrogate trainer for its E-6B nuclear communications platform. (Janes/Patrick Allen)

[ I have NO IDEA, if the UK Ministry of Defence (MoD) being awarded USD15 million for the aircraft, is a "good deal" or not ?! ]

arfah

ADC
Published by: Gareth Jennings, JANES, on 01 July 2021.

UK sells E-3D to US Navy as ‘Doomsday' trainer aircraft.

The sale was announced by the US Department of Defense (DoD) on 30 June, with the UK Ministry of Defence (MoD) being awarded USD15 million for the aircraft. Work will be performed at Lake Charles Airport in Louisiana (site of Northrop Grumman's Lake Charles Maintenance and Modification Center), where the aircraft is understood to be stored, with delivery to the USN by September.

As previously reported by Janes , the USN requires the E-3D to serve as flight trainer for the E-6B to reduce fatigue on the C3 fleet of 16 aircraft, dubbed ‘Doomsday' on account of their nuclear control mission. Both the E-6B and the E-3D share the same Boeing 707-320 airframe. Being fitted with the same flight controls and systems and engines would enable all non-mission-related training to be conducted on the cheaper and non-operational surplus E-3D instead.

The USN noted, “The E-6B is integral to US nuclear C3 system, and provides assured capability for US nuclear force execution. Currently, the US Navy conducts all initial and recurring E-6B pilot training flight in E-6B mission aircraft. These training flights expose mission aircraft to significant unnecessary wear-and-tear and negatively impact E-6B readiness and availability. Moreover, lack of a dedicated training aircraft increases the time required to train qualified aircrews needed to execute the E-6B mission. The purchase of an [E-3D] in-flight trainer aircraft will result in the reduction of 600 flight hours and 2,400 landings/cycles per year from the E-6B mission aircraft.”

The UK has sold one of its remaining E-3D aircraft to the US Navy, which plans to use it as a surrogate trainer for its E-6B nuclear communications platform. (Janes/Patrick Allen)

[ I have NO IDEA, if the UK Ministry of Defence (MoD) being awarded USD15 million for the aircraft, is a "good deal" or not ?! ]

Only one?

Was thinking they might need some spares…

Slime

LE
It’s pretty good to not only get the same aircraft type, but to get one already equipped with the same air to air refuelling system the USN use.

Slime

LE
No tail hook or folding wings, though?

A few hard landings can sort the wing issues :)

Instead of fitting an arrester hook, just raise the cable and catch it on the radome mounts ;)

Can someone PLEASE explain to the Wing Commander, that she/they, provide a SERVICE (not a "product"), and that the new E7 that they/we have a bought is an AIRCRAFT (again, not a "product") !!

+ + + + + + + + + + + +

Published by: The Royal Air Force, on 04 August 2021.

The RAF E-3D Sentry is returning to RAF Waddington this afternoon from 903 Expeditionary Air Wing. On 30th July 2021, the aircraft flew its final operational mission.

During the deployment, the aircraft supported HMS Queen Elizabeth #CSG21, Op Shader and NATO assurance missions.

Can someone PLEASE explain to the Wing Commander, that she/they, provide a SERVICE (not a "product"), and that the new E7 that they/we have a bought is an AIRCRAFT (again, not a "product") !!

+ + + + + + + + + + + +

The RAF E-3D Sentry is returning to RAF Waddington this afternoon from 903 Expeditionary Air Wing. On 30th July 2021, the aircraft flew its final operational mission.

During the deployment, the aircraft supported HMS Queen Elizabeth #CSG21, Op Shader and NATO assurance missions.

Yeah, what would the Wing Commander know, eh? The platform produces, err, products.

Talk about ignorance - you know even less about ISTAR than you do on most other topics you spout rubbish about. But then I suppose you're an expert on E3D ops, air space surveillance and data integration? Get with the picture, Daddyo.

Last edited:

Guns

ADC
Book Reviewer

+ + + + + + + + + + + +

You really are morphing into Photex/SOI etc.

Because you are spouting absolute b*ll*cks on the E3-D and E7 which you do not have the slightest clue about, that's why. And apparently, you know more than the Squadron Commander, you broken-brained old fool.

Don’t sit on the fence you big *girls blouse. Tell em what you really think!

*Other genders (or non genders, or unicorns, or whatever) can be applied…

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Ultimately, though, service/product is a bit management wánk-speak isn't it?

Not wishing to introduce any challenges here. Just trying to steer us towards resolution.

Yeah, what would the Wing Commander know, eh? The platform produces, err, products.

Talk about ignorance - you know even less about ISTAR than you do on most other topics you spout rubbish about. But then I suppose you're an expert on E3D ops, air space surveillance and data integration? Get with the picture, Daddyo.

Because you are spouting absolute b*ll*cks on the E3-D and E7 which you do not have the slightest clue about, that's why.

Calm down dear . . . Calm down . . . !!

I have not claimed -ever- to know anything about how ISTAR works, nor do I particularly wish to know.

I have not made any comment about E3-D and/or E7.

The video came-up on my "news feed", and I posted it here, for those who might be interested ;) .

If such altruistic motives offend you, move on, scroll past, no-one is forcing you to read what others post.

If you are so easily irritated, offended enough to waste time venting-your-spleen, I really don't know why you are here!!

And apparently, you know more than the Squadron Commander, you broken-brained old fool.

Yes, it would seem that I do know more about the established, conventional, use of the English language, than the Wing Commander.

A "product" is/has been, generally regarded as something TANGIBLE, that has a physical form . . . . although, obviously NOT by YOU, or the "on-trend", gobbledegook, speaking Wing Commander :( .

The provision of information - no-matter how complicated, expensive, or important - is a SERVICE.

Although I cannot remember when or why . . . if your negative comments are because I have offended you at some stage . . . then I am pleased :) . You do seem so easily offended, and at least I have provided something for you to get excited about ;) !!

Ultimately, though, service/product is a bit management wánk-speak isn't it?

Not wishing to introduce any challenges here. Just trying to steer us towards resolution.

Thank you . . . ;) !!

Last edited:

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Not always. "Look at our shiny tanks in a nice row" is a TANK. "So...can you actually tell us where the enemy is, and stay alive to keep telling us afterwards?" is a Service/Product.

One doesn't guarantee the other ;)
I'll respond to this post in due course.

Unfortunately, I'm experiencing high call volumes at the moment...:-D

A "product" is/has been, generally regarded as something TANGIBLE, that has a physical form . . . . although, obviously NOT by YOU, or the "on-trend", gobbildy-gook(?), speaking Wing Commander :( .

The provision of information - no-matter how complicated, expensive, or important - is a SERVICE.
Information is the raw material, analysis is the service, intelligence is the product.

Any clearer?

Latest Threads