Replacement RAF AWACS

Boeing 707 - last airframes built in 1978 IIRC
Inefficient engines. They are starting to make Shacks look youthful.
All commercial 707s are now retired.
707 production ended in the early 90s with the manufacture of USN E-6As and the joint RAF/French E-3D/F buy; the very last 707 off the production line was ZH107 which was delivered in 1992. The NATO E-3As were all delivered between 1982 and 1988 but have undergone several modernisations in the interim.

As stated, there is a large spares pool available to keep even P&W powered jets going for some years yet. As the KC-46 replaces the KC-135 in USAF service, that pool will rapidly expand and the USAF have no plans to shift their RIVET JOINT/COBRA BALL/COMBAT SCENT/CONSTANT PHOENIX onto another type any time soon.

Regards,
MM

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer

Wonder if that would have stopped us getting Wedgetail
The issue is that we missed a number of upgrade slots (the time(s) that the system providers will actually take the aircraft in and do the work). This is because we gapped the capabilities to cover the costs of some of what we were doing in Afghanistan.

Missing those slots meant that Wedgetail was our only truly viable course of action.

Yokel

LE
The problem is some bunch of ignorant ***** (insert term of choice) felt that AEW/AWACS, and other elements of air defence, were no longer needed. Which is odd, given even a summit of NATO leaders demands AWACS support:

NATO AWACS aircraft support London NATO leaders' meeting

NATO AWACS routinely patrol the skies during major events, including meetings of world leaders and other high-profile public events, such as international football tournaments. In support of NATO operations AWACS aircraft can be employed for a variety of tasks, such as airspace surveillance and early detection of airborne threats, providing a radar picture of ongoing activities at sea or the command and control of other NATO air assets.

Wonder if that would have stopped us getting Wedgetail
No it wouldn’t.

NATO are upgrading aircraft that have already been upgraded twice before; even the current NATO mission system is around 20 years ahead of those on the RAF E-3Ds. The same upgrade would not have been possible with our jets.

However, even the NATO FLEP upgrade will not address radar obsolescence.

Regards,
MM

No it wouldn’t.

NATO are upgrading aircraft that have already been upgraded twice before; even the current NATO mission system is around 20 years ahead of those on the RAF E-3Ds. The same upgrade would not have been possible with our jets.

However, even the NATO FLEP upgrade will not address radar obsolescence.

Regards,
MM
@Magic_Mushroom , the article seems to say that (some of) the NATO aircraft are based at your place?!

Is that correct?

@Magic_Mushroom , the article seems to say that (some of) the NATO aircraft are based at your place?!

Is that correct?
RAF AWACS based at Waddo have always formed the E-3D Component of the NATO AEW & Control Force; we even use the same callsigns as the multinationally crewed jets (NATO for the flt deck and MAGIC for the mission crew.

So yes, NATO AWACS are based at RAF Waddington.

Regards,
MM

RAF AWACS based at Waddo have always formed the E-3D Component of the NATO AEW & Control Force; we even use the same callsigns as the multinationally crewed jets (NATO for the flt deck and MAGIC for the mission crew.

So yes, NATO AWACS are based at RAF Waddington.

Regards,
MM
Do they still have the multinational crew aircraft at Geilenkirchen?

Do they still have the multinational crew aircraft at Geilenkirchen?
The NAEW&CF E-3A Component At GK are multi nationally crewed, the RAF E-3D Component is UK only.

Regards,
MM

LARD

War Hero
1575624857490.png

Shhhhh….. I think I can hear a submarine...….

View attachment 435273

Shhhhh….. I think I can hear a submarine...….
Or is it the flapping of the wings of the birds who didn't go into the engines...?

(Rejected take off after multiple birds seen passing down side of aircraft, but the laws of physics triumphed in the battle with the aircraft's brakes. No birds ingested, and ISTR that the accident report was said to mutter darkly about how better crew coordination might have highlighted the fact that the engines were all working perfectly and no birds had been harmed in the making of the accident report).

Or is it the flapping of the wings of the birds who didn't go into the engines...?

(Rejected take off after multiple birds seen passing down side of aircraft, but the laws of physics triumphed in the battle with the aircraft's brakes. No birds ingested, and ISTR that the accident report was said to mutter darkly about how better crew coordination might have highlighted the fact that the engines were all working perfectly and no birds had been harmed in the making of the accident report).
Worse than that, the takeoff was aborted AFTER V1.

In their defence, this was less than a year after the loss of the USAF E-3B in Alaska after multiple birdstrikes.

On a more positive note, the mission consoles (which were largely undamaged) from this jet ended up in the UK and significantly reduced the cost of adding a tenth mission console to our E-3Ds!

Regards,
MM

Many years ago when I was on my instruments course and we were covering Pitot static systems - (back when Pontius was a pilot etc) - the instructor pointed out that this wasn't uncommon - It being a reaction of human nature an almost instinctive - if its gone wrong better to stay down here than go up there.

Slime

LE

Yokel

LE

In their defence, this was less than a year after the loss of the USAF E-3B in Alaska after multiple birdstrikes.

On a more positive note, the mission consoles (which were largely undamaged) from this jet ended up in the UK and significantly reduced the cost of adding a tenth mission console to our E-3Ds!

Regards,
MM
I had no idea our avionics were purchased from a geezer with a three wheel van, using the gift of the gab whilst looking out for the Police.

"One careful owner, not many miles on the clock...."

I had no idea our avionics were purchased from a geezer with a three wheel van, using the gift of the gab whilst looking out for the Police.

"One careful owner, not many miles on the clock...."
We got them free.

Regards,
MM

ugly

LE
That spoils the Del Boy (or Arthur Daly) joke! I bet HM Treasury does not see them as free under Resource Account Budgeting or whatever it is called.
Not free, they may have been funded by us originally so only reallocation of debt

Latest Threads