Replacement Hard Drive and Installing Windows 7

Discussion in 'Hardware - PCs, Consoles, Gadgets' started by Horridlittleman, Jun 16, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have recently had a bit of a problem when my laptop took a bit of a bash and my hard drive pretty much self destructed. I have bought a replacement hard drive and am trying to re-install Windows 7. The disk starts and I get the Acer screen, then 'windows is loading files' - white text, black background, the progress bar moves all the way across, then 'Starting Windows' with the windows squares, then nothing except the mouse cursor that I can move on the screen, and the DVD then stops spinning.

Any ideas? I have googled like a lunatic and the only thing I can find is it could be a driver issue. I am not sure about this as the laptop had W7 installed before and the only difference is a new HDD.

Cheers.

2. msr

msr LE

Try installing Linux - this will help to eliminate the HDD as part of the problem.

3. Cheers MSR. Just downloading Ubuntu and will try installing it on the dodgy machine.

4. I had a similar problem on my new desktop system.
    Fault was with the disk. Installation with a different disk but same key worked.
    Fault confirmed by vendor and disk replaced should I need to reinstall at a future time.

5. Well I am now using Mozilla through my freshly installed Ubuntu. If this works then I might just leave it on my machine!

• Like Like x 1