Replacement for LandRover

Why not, I’d rather see a British/European manufacturer get our money than go to the Far East. Can’t help being patriotic and yes I know it’ll be built in France.
Other than the fact Ineos (Ineos Grenadier's parent company) is headed up by a Brit, there's nothing British about the French-Korean-German car.

Rather than sending money to two of our historic enemies and contemporary adversaries, why not just buy cheaper, better vehicles?

Why? There are dozens of cheaper and better pickups on the market.
I doubt it, long travel coil sprung axles are the gold standard for any serious off road going 4x4 andI'm not aware of any pickups that don't have independent front ends.
They normally have cart spring rear axles too come to that.
Which is okay. Up to a point.

I doubt it, long travel coil sprung axles are the gold standard for any serious off road going 4x4 andI'm not aware of any pickups that don't have independent front ends.
They normally have cart spring rear axles too come to that.
Which is okay. Up to a point.
Nah. Any fule 'no that undamped, rusty steel leaf springs is the only way.

D

Deleted 136127

Arguably they haven’t ever built a military vehicle. The original was based off a jeep and all the others were Frankenstein’s monsters of the original. Were any built on first principles as a military vehicle?

Ill ping him on faces he and see what he says

D

Deleted 136127

@fraudstar - here you go. I asked about the Wolf

79ADD303-9159-43C4-92F4-D3D0000E1CFE.jpeg

D

Deleted 136127

Supports my point really - they altered an existing platform rather than starting from first principles.
Which is because they panels they produce are common across military and civilian vehicles. Procuring a production line just for a military Land Rover would have put the price up to the MoD somewhat.

if you look at the Wolf, the big structural differences between the vehicle and the standard Defender are uprated axles and chassis. Pretty much everything else is standard. They had to do that to keep the costs down. Things like the EGR, loom for electrics and other vehicle specificsfor the Wolf, such as roll cage and hard top will probably have been outsourced to another manufacturer. That would be my guess anyway.

it was never really designed for a full on war and the Snatch wasn’t equipped to do the job it ended up doing, but you can’t blame Land Rover for that decision. That was Whitehall.

Last edited by a moderator:

gafkiwi

War Hero
Other than the fact Ineos (Ineos Grenadier's parent company) is headed up by a Brit, there's nothing British about the French-Korean-German car.

Rather than sending money to two of our historic enemies and contemporary adversaries, why not just buy cheaper, better vehicles?
Is there any regionally produced platforms that are close to meeting the requirements? (if these have been identified) like G wagons? That being said talking to some Aussy mates still in uniform they manage to make some mistakes with the G wagons they replaced their LR's with by making some changes to the design.

Would another option be going with a COTS option (toyota hilux, ford ranger) as the base wagon (garrison environment) and having step up versions like light tactical vehicle options rebuilt in the likes of the Jankle products. That being said I hear Jankle aren't cheap to begin with but paying big up front rather than possibly more for band aids later on might be an option. Also means a lot of the parts are commercially available. We snapped a rear diff on one of our Patrol Hilux's in Afghan. We flagged down a local driving the same model and made him an offer he couldn't refuse. Within a couple hours our workshop lads and LEC's had driven out swapped the diff's and left the local with his wagon on blocks and enough cash in his pocket to buy at least 2 diff's at the bazaar.

Last edited:

Latest Threads