Replacement for LandRover

Mercedes Sprinters come in 4WD variants, and I think Ford Transits do as well

And VW Transporter too, called Rockton TDI 4WD.

That's what the FAF FP units use in France nowadays.

ob_67271f_cladhegwkaal7v2.jpg

Lots of conversions to camper vans when the MOD sell them off at the end of their service, bargain prices, driving the ridiculous prices of VW campers down, winner, winner

It would seem that we, "they", someone, has already missed a similar opportunity . . . :( !!

Few years ago I was at Babcock in Colchester, they’d just recycled a load of LR 110 Ambulances. All low mileage and to be reissued, they’d been given a crew cab and a tray back. Came from the cut backs, ie don’t need all these Ambo’s anymore so turn them Regimental hacks.

I would imagine that the poor performance of LR’s to survive IED blasts has pretty much put paid to any operational use they had.

The future is armoured vehicles like Jackal and Foxhound.

My bet is that cost cutting and H&S measures means that when the current Landy fleet dies, the day to day workhorse stuff that they’ve always done will just be done by white fleet vans and minibuses. Pretty much all UK training areas have tarmac roads anyway and for places that don’t, they can just use the above mentioned Jackal and Foxhound or hired in pick ups as @cowgoesmoo says above.

Won’t be long before some twat in a Hi Viz vest says Landies are no longer to be used for Peace time operations or training because they don’t have air bags or some shit.

the day to day workhorse stuff that they’ve always done will just be done by white fleet vans and minibuses. Pretty much all UK training areas have tarmac roads anyway and for places that don’t

That's
pretty much what happens nowadays.

Few years ago I was at Babcock in Colchester, they’d just recycled a load of LR 110 Ambulances. All low mileage and to be reissued, they’d been given a crew cab and a tray back. Came from the cut backs, ie don’t need all these Ambo’s anymore so turn them Regimental hacks.

What was the 110 Ambulance? All i remember were series 3 Amby's, 1 Tonny Amby's and then the Wolf's.

I’ve noticed that in both Devon and Dorset it’s compulsory to have a snorkel on every knackered old defender you can see.
is it some sort of local Bylaw ?
or is it just “ Wellard”!

That's a Defender 130 (Wolf).
Then I don't know . . . :( .

The brand-new Defender will use "130" to identify a longer model - about to be introduced - that shares the same wheel-base as the 5-door "110". The greater length is due to increased rear overhang.

1630320756046.png

Note: "90" and "110" are historic names for previous Defenders which did reflect the wheelbase in mm INCHES. The names have no relevance to the dimensions of the new vehicles.

Note: whilst looking for a photo, I stumbled upon the following link, which is a complete surprise, and reminded me of the double-cab/pick-up Defender, the chassis of which was apparently used for the "130" Ambulance.

1630321782132.png

I'm going to "bow-out" now, and invite @robinrocket111 to explain why he used "110", instead of "130" ;) .

Last edited:
I’ve noticed that in both Devon and Dorset it’s compulsory to have a snorkel on every knackered old defender you can see.
is it some sort of local Bylaw ?
or is it just “ Wellard”!
More likely to be every knackered old landy you see is someones toy and so probably does drive through deep puddles.

Also useful for pulling less dirt on dusty tracks through the engine - added bonus in traffic is you also dont suck the car in fronts exhaust into the cabin*

I enrage some people because the snort on mine faces the wrong way -( suprising how that bothers people) -

It faces the wrong way because experience has taught me the intake position is neatly alighned with shit sprayed from the front right wheel. So face the wrong way it shall.

*It does of course still find its way in through all the self unsealing and badly fitted panels

Ok 130 then, to be honest I’m no expert on LR’s wheel bases, but I know the difference between a short wheel base 90 and a long one. Anyway what’s 20” between landies. :mrgreen:
Did I dream it or did someone say "mm"?

ETA: gah! Too slow....

FFS . . . I must need a rest . . . :(

DELETE: millimetres
INSERT: inches

:( .

Last edited:
Arrrrgggh! I am getting deja vu from thirty years ago when I was scrutinising the operational requirement for TUL/TUM. No Land Rovers had been bought for a few years because Lord Trefgarne, Min(DP) in the late eighties, had dared to question whether LRs really were the best and only option and put a stop to further purchases until the Army could come up with a proper OR, and then run a competition against the requirement. Just writing the OR had proved a bit of a problem for the relevant branch, when their initial offering of "one wheel at each corner and a Land Rover marque badge on the arse" was rejected. Then the competition had to be stopped early for technical reasons, wholly unrelated to the fact that Pinz Gauer was running rings around the LR.

Frankly, it was only Granby that unblocked the problem, since it was clear that a lot of vehicles were utterly shagged afterwards, and so a sustainment buy of LRs was finally authorised by Ministers.

One of my proudest achievements during Options for Change was successfully arguing that we should increase the white fleet holdings of infantry battalions as a spend to save, since it made no sense for knackered green fleet vehicles to be shagged more than necessary to go and pick up lads from the station or collect QM stores. IIRC, before, the only white vehicle on the establishment was the CO's Grade B staff car; we added an estate car for the families officer/padre (an SO2 argued for an estate because you could then get two pregnant wives in the back ;)), a minibus, and a light van for the QM.

Oh, as an aside, I remember in 1993 we were having a difficult meeting of the Army Vehicle Liability Committee, as part of the Options for Change scrutiny of every single unit's establishment, with rather heated debate over the rather generous establishment of vehicles held by one particular type (cannot remember which arm in particular, might have been REME or medics). Anyway, we broke for lunch, and one of my colleagues came back with the news that the RAF Jaguar squadron that had just deployed to Gioia del Colle had taken forty Grade B staff cars with it. Basically a personal car for just about every officer to get to and from the hotel. The poor sods who were appearing before us to justify their units' holdings and had been mercilessly interrogated during the morning, were astounded when the Colonel chairing the committee, said "Fcuk it, they can keep the lot... actually, give Snooks here an extra two minibuses..."

Series I: 80, 86, 88, 107, 109
Series 2: 88, 109
Series 3: 88,109
Defender*: 90, 110, 127 ( renamed as 130 )

* The designations of the post-1983 series were 'rounded-up' from their actual wheelbases to distinguish them from the earlier series, since they were initially just marketed as Land Rover 90 etc. The Defender name was retrospectively applied in 1990 to avoid confusion with the Discovery.

Last edited:

Gabion Groyne

War Hero
Jeez man, it's all about surface appearances nowadays, function follows form not vice versa. It's the 21st century for god's sake!
That said I agree, I don't get why they did such a half arssed job of styling it to look like it's related to the Series and Defenders. VW, Fiat and BMW Mini managed it with their icons.
You're kidding. They've obviously used a modern day, roly-poly, 20 stone female as a styling reference.

There are two shit types of pointless squares:

View attachment 600354
View attachment 600357
In the first picture the "postage stamp" is to hide the door pillar as it was felt it would detract from the retro (people at lrj were banned from saying retro btw).
To me it looks like someone has put a sticker on to hide something.
The saddle bags in the second pic cost a fortune and hold less than an airport carry on each.
I've said on this site before I was considering the grenadier as my last new purchase but that thing has gone all designed by committee. A new discovery would have been first choice but I knew what was coming. Built abroad and computer driven.
I saw them quite a lot in development and frankly they looked better in the test drive camouflage.
Incidentally one of the first TV reviews of it has me behind in an old Japanese van with two dogs in the passinger seat.

Latest Threads