Replacement ceiling rose cable grip

Spacehopper383

War Hero
Sorry if this is a bone question.
We have just moved house and I want to put up our metal lamp shades, but the downstairs ceiling roses don't have a cable grip to transfer the weight of the shade to the rose rather than onto the terminals.
I've googled but can't find anything similar to what I have been used to when I have bought a new rose with a pendant.
Does anyone know if you can get replacements or do I have to buy a new rose and pendant?

We have just moved house and I want to put up our metal lamp shades, but the downstairs ceiling roses don't have a cable grip to transfer the weight of the shade to the rose rather than onto the terminals.
I've googled but can't find anything similar to what I have been used to when I have bought a new rose with a pendant.
Does anyone know if you can get replacements or do I have to buy a new rose and pendant?
There is this sort of thing, but it is very ugly ( unless you new shades would hide them)
I reckon new ceiling attachments will look much better.

anglo

LE
Change the ceiling rose, to one with a hanger, use the same cable

I would be very nervous about any electric cable, cable grip, taking any weight, (much) greater than a "light bulb".

For piece of mind, I'd be inclined to accept the (minor) cost of a rose with (chain?) pendant, and make sure it was screwed into a joist behind, holding-up, the ceiling plasterboard.

Spacehopper383

War Hero
Cheers gents, I'll check how the existing rose is fixed and if onto a joist then I will buy a new rose intended for a heavier shade.
Knowing my luck it will be fixed straight into the plaster board without the benefit of plaster board plugs.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
Cheers gents, I'll check how the existing rose is fixed and if onto a joist then I will buy a new rose intended for a heavier shade.
Knowing my luck it will be fixed straight into the plaster board without the benefit of plaster board plugs.
if it is, then buy some expanding metal butterfly fixings, make the holes with a screwdriver, in case there are wires above, and dont forget to fit them to the rose first

or you can get expanding butterfly fixings that lock in place but need a setting tool

or you can take the floor up and affix a decent timber strut

Spacehopper383

War Hero
if it is, then buy some expanding metal butterfly fixings, make the holes with a screwdriver, in case there are wires above, and dont forget to fit them to the rose first

or you can get expanding butterfly fixings that lock in place but need a setting tool

or you can take the floor up and affix a decent timber strut
If the house wasn't rented then I would be going for your last option. I did this at my own house when I gutted it and started from scratch.